Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 03-24-2009, 05:32 PM   #1
TopFuelTim

Drives: 2002
Is a ring and pinion whine normal for 2002 V6?

Hi all, first post. My wife just bought a really sweet, low miles (34,000) 2002 light pewter metallic Camaro with a V6 and automatic. Everything is great about the car except for a whine that becomes noticeable at 40mph and up. It goes away under no load, and comes back when you press the gas pedal. The previous owner told me he took it to the dealership (with an aftermarket warranty), and they said it was typical, and just to drive it. They said they could put a shim kit in it, but it might not help.

Is it common to have this in a fourth generation Camaro?

Thanks,
Tim Glover
TopFuelTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 07:33 PM   #2
wantonebad09

Drives: hot clean mint
just bought an 1998 convert with the same problem too?
wantonebad09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 01:11 PM   #3
01 SS

Drives: 2001 Camaro SS, SLP# 110
Differential Whine

The differential whine in these cars is normal. I've put over 120K on my car since new and the noise has not changed. However, a couple of years ago I had to have the carrier bearings replaced because the case hardening on the rollers and races failed. It appears that these were sub-standard (cheap)bearings GM fitted to some of the f-body rear ends. I suggest you change the oil and check the magnet for iron particles and if there are none, or very few, you should be OK.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:18 AM   #4
robby

Drives: 02 B4C 6M
Kinda tuff to give an opinion on noise.
What one describes as whine, another may describe as howl.
Best situation is an opinion based on a road test, either by a dealer or a shop that is familiar w/ rear end service.
All rear ends will have a harmonic (whine) at different speeds and different loads.
The F car, by virtue of unitized body and close proximity of the rear end to the driver is good at transmitting the sound.
But again, you really should get an opinion or two based on road testing.

Rob
robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
JJ#48Racing

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS
It's probably normal, but without hearing it myself it's hard to say for sure.
JJ#48Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 07:20 PM   #6
TopFuelTim

Appreciate the advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01 SS View Post
The differential whine in these cars is normal. I've put over 120K on my car since new and the noise has not changed. However, a couple of years ago I had to have the carrier bearings replaced because the case hardening on the rollers and races failed. It appears that these were sub-standard (cheap)bearings GM fitted to some of the f-body rear ends. I suggest you change the oil and check the magnet for iron particles and if there are none, or very few, you should be OK.
I appreciate all of your input. I went ahead and pulled the cover, and there was very minimal stuff on the magnet or in the old oil. Put new cover gasket on with RTV, added synthetic Valvoline gear oil, and put her back on the road. Same ring and pinion whine, but, oh well. We'll just turn the radio up a bit louder.

Thanks all,
Tim Glover
Old 04-09-2009, 12:24 AM   #7
Mason44

Drives: 2011 2SS
Not normal at all man, my 1999 does not do this and its got a little of 100k miles on it now.
Mason44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 07:51 PM   #8
TopFuelTim

I figured it's not normal (but apparently a lot of owners experience it), but we are just not willing to invest $800 or so fixing it correctly right now. The previous owner had an aftermarket warranty that expired in December, and that company would not fix it, even though he took it in for that problem. The car only has 35,400 miles right now, but is seven years old, so it is well past the factory warranty point. I don't think much of aftermarket warranties, except for ones like GMPP or Lincoln Premier Certified.

We're just going to run ours until it goes bad, and then probably go to a junkyard and get another one at that point. Incidentally, I test drove two other Camaros, one a 1999 model with 156,000 miles, and another with 138,000 miles, and both of them also whined. I gather that GM spared every expense possible when assembling differentials for 4th gen Camaros.

If we are ever lucky enough to get a 5th generation Camaro, we will get the GMPP warranty for as long as they will let us.

Thanks again for the input,

Tim Glover