Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 08-10-2012, 09:03 PM   #1
Dawn55430

Drives: 2023 Radiant Red 2LT
Stupid car wash towel question

I know this is probably out there already, but a search returned 17-20 pages depending on how I worded it. Also tried Google and got nothing that made sense.

Anyway.....four "car guys" at work told me four different ways of washing the towels I use to dry my car. General consensus is I can't just toss them in the wash with other laundry. Opinions range from hot water, hot dry, no dry, vinegar in the rinse, drop of liquid fabric softener, no fabric softener, baby soap, dish soap etc. So, I guess this is going to be a poll for those of you who are more diligent about your car washing than I used to be. How do you wash the towels?

Also, just a random question, does this semi-obsession ever fade? I've had the car 3 months, and if someone would have told me that I would be sitting under a streetlight at 10 p.m. drying the car off because I used the auto wash (don't judge, at least it's washed) and I couldn't wait 4 blocks until I got home to dry it off, because it would be spotty; I would have told them they were nuts. I now carry spray and two towels in my trunk because a bird "might" crap on it. I can't imagine how crazy I'm going to be by winter if this doesn't fade a bit.
Dawn55430 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #2
MYDLIFECRISIS

Drives: '12SS/2SS/45TH-'06 2500HD/Silverado
Dawn...I've had mine 3 months, and I'm the same way. The attention I give it on a daily basis is crazy to anyone who doesn't own a Camaro. And I'm thinking the same thing: what will I be like in the winter!
MYDLIFECRISIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:14 PM   #3
bluebox

Drives: '12 1SS LS3 IBM/SIM
I've tossed microfiber towels along with a wash mitt in with a load of blue jeans, HE washer on warm/cold, no softener, dry medium heat (no dryer sheets), and have had no problem at all. Key thing is simply to wash them frequently. 6 months and no swirls.

And no, the obsession will not fade once you've caught the bug.

Now: Invo's on Nurburgs | Ext. Eng. catch can | heritage grille
Next: a few Pedders bits, tighten it up | better sways | drop coils, maybe | CAI, exhaust, JRE tune
Then I'm done, I swear.

bluebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:23 PM   #4
acatlover13
Emerald Coast Camaros

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Camaro IOM/IO
Send a message via AIM to acatlover13 Send a message via Skype™ to acatlover13
I use a cap ful of Woolite and wash on gentle cycle. Then I throw them in the dryer at a low setting, with a 1/2 sheet of Bounce. They come out perfect!
acatlover13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
Mark's SS

Drives: 17 Silverado 2500HD LTZ 4x4 Duramax
Here is some info that will guide you in the right direction. http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/mi...ucts/14121.htm
Also, check out the Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection section on this forum.
Mark's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:29 PM   #6
Xedes

Drives: 2011 Black RS/SS
Ok, I'll be "that" guy. I actually will take my towels to a laundromat (so I don't get chemicals on my clothes) and use DP Microfiber cleaner. (no bleach or fabric softener should ever be used according to my sources)
Xedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #7
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
Quote:
Originally Posted by acatlover13 View Post
I use a cap ful of Woolite and wash on gentle cycle. Then I throw them in the dryer at a low setting, with a 1/2 sheet of Bounce. They come out perfect!
you never want to use those sheets with microfiber towels

Please check out my youtube detailing channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/roshan517

"When you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, then you will be successful."
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #8
Obzen
Pull up Cougar!

Drives: 2016 2SS
Are these microfiber towels?

If so use pinnacle microfiber wash (it's the best I've used so far) Only wash the towels. Then dry on low with no dryer sheets.

You do NOT want to put them in with other towels or clothes. Do not use regular soap. If you wash them improperly they lose their absorbancy.

People who say "mine work fine with regular clothes etc." haven't tried it the correct way to know the difference. It's huge.

Washing incorrectly is the difference between needing 5 towels to dry your car and 1. It's also important that you use good towels. Anything from Walmart autozone target etc is trash.

PM if you want me to help you pick some products. I'm not an expert but I've tried alot and know what has better results.
Obzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:32 AM   #9
5cents
Dave

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS - Black/CGM Stripes
GEEEEEEEEZE ..... microfiber towels, to use Bounce or not to use Bounce in the dryer ..... its only a car guys. Some Camaro owners spend entirely too much time on their cars.
5cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 04:46 AM   #10
stray bullitt

Drives: Bentley Continental GT.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5cents View Post
GEEEEEEEEZE ..... microfiber towels, to use Bounce or not to use Bounce in the dryer ..... its only a car guys. Some Camaro owners spend entirely too much time on their cars.
I had remained quiet up to now, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't believe the obsession some people lavish on a car. I usually wash mine with a sponge, give it a quick shamois, and then usually polish with an old t-shirt, or similarly soft bit of cloth.
stray bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:38 AM   #11
wayner

Drives: White SSRS Convertible Edelbrock SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark's SS View Post
Here is some info that will guide you in the right direction. http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/mi...ucts/14121.htm
Also, check out the Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection section on this forum.

I wish I hadn't read that. LOL

Now I have to wait till the wife is out of the house long enough so I can boil 70 towels and still have time to clean up.
wayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:02 AM   #12
Bumblebee2012

Drives: 2012 2SS TF3, 1971 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by stray bullitt View Post
I had remained quiet up to now, but I'm glad I'm not the only one who can't believe the obsession some people lavish on a car. I usually wash mine with a sponge, give it a quick shamois, and then usually polish with an old t-shirt, or similarly soft bit of cloth.
I'm with you. And I'm not much into waxing more than once in the spring and once in the fall. When I do have time to look at the Camaro, I'd rather spend that time looking out over over the hood!

I wash it with Zep and warm water using an AutoZone sponge, dry with an Absorber from Clean Tools http://www.cleantools.net/ , and go drive someplace.

That company also makes nice soft and long bristled wheel brushes. The Absorber drying towel is the nicest drying chamois I've used in 30 years.

Only so much time is available before you fall over dead, use it wisely.... having fun!

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using smack-a-talk
Bumblebee2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:15 AM   #13
Rcfiddy1
Sold car...

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2SS/RS #37115
I never wash my micro fibers with anything other than micro fibers. Ive had them for 2-3 years now and they are as good as new. I wash it at least once or twice a month since its a DD. Always detailed with Adams.

ECS Novi 1500 Supercharged, LS3 conversion, Small blower cam, Alky Meth injection, 3:45 rear, BMR Suspension parts, 1LE Sways, Billy Boat ZL1 dual mode exhaust.
Rcfiddy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 07:22 AM   #14
metthem

Drives: 2011 LS
Micr fiber towels that i have tried dont even soak up any water. I dont get the whole micro fiber movement.
Trifecta tune, CAI intake, ADM Race Scoop, Doug Thorley Shorties, Solo High Flow Cats, Magnaflow resonated X-pipe, Flowmaster AMT axle back, Gary's custom front bowtie, rear bowtie delete, tinted windows, headlights, and taillights, debadged fenders, gunmetal gills, gunmetal tailgate (CAMARO)
metthem is offline   Reply With Quote