Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-02-2017, 04:31 PM   #1
swodo

Drives: none
SS vs. V6

Other than the engine, brakes and suspension. what are the major differences between the V8 SS and the V6? Speific to the running gear. I mean is the transmission, differential, sub frame, etc the same or are they beefed up for the SS?
swodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:37 PM   #2
InFiD3ViL

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS LS3 Swapped A6
I know the transmissions are different. The auto SS uses a 6L80e, the V6 uses a 6L50.

Manual V8's use the TR6060, while the V6's have the Aisin AY6 6 speed. I also think there was another variant of manual trans for the V6s in newer models, but don't quote me on that.
2010 CGM Camaro 2SS LS3 Swapped A6 - GPI LS3 SS1 .647/.638, (224/237, 112 +4, 7º overlap) on CamMotion 8620 core, BTR Platinum .660" Dual Spring kit w/titanium retainers, CHE bronze trunnion upgrade, stock heads milled @ .015, Melling HV 10296 oil pump, TSP 1-7/8" long tube headers (W/Catless Off-road Pipes), Corsa Xtreme 3" Catback, GPI Ported/Rod Mod Intake, Stage 2 Ported Throttle Body, Vararam OTR CAI, Mike Norris Gen 2 catch can + GM 1LE clean side separator, 160º thermostat - Megan Racing adjustable coilovers (lowered 1.75"), MRR M017 10/11" wheels-Tuned by Ryan @ GPI
InFiD3ViL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:47 PM   #3
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
There are a lot of differences from nose to tail, just like the SS vs the ZL-1.
Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 04:58 PM   #4
swodo

Thanks. But specifically: beefier driveshaft, differential, sub frame, etc?
Old 09-02-2017, 05:37 PM   #5
Royal Tiger
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by swodo View Post
Thanks. But specifically: beefier driveshaft, differential, sub frame, etc?
This book is amazing. It has so much info. I just randomly pick it up and read it all the time. It covers every sub-model and engine in great detail.
Attached Images

Royal Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 06:12 PM   #6
swodo

I'll pick it up. Thanks again
Old 09-02-2017, 06:15 PM   #7
CamaroFred

Drives: Miss Con Ception
Scope the Camaro 5 Wiki.
Old 09-02-2017, 11:18 PM   #8
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
I don't know about the driveshaft, but the differential and subframe are exactly the same on the manual V6's.
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:49 AM   #9
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
The differences are from every computer to sway bars rear diffs if non manual in the v-6, wheels and backspacing and such goes with the packages of course. Few have ventured to have the needed parts from a SS wrecked and parted to a v-6, and doing so is much more complicated than a simple job and has been threads of pain here a couple times, but yes replace so much and its possible but yet.. there is the why???? when the use is for performance if you want any residual value other than for personal pleasure or the usage the retro fit would in no way be able to reflect the value of a similar SS.

If your thinking of getting a used SS/v-6 you would be way money ahead with the values being a low 20s for a older gen 5 SS than thinking of the value for the v-6 and upgrades for it or attempted engine swap and parts, and they are two different cars sharing some common platform but not that much as in being able to easily say make a 67 Camaro a v-8 with its drivetrain and with ease install other accessories. Computers and such make things much more a PITA than a simple R & R job with computers. etc.

You see the engine has A/C, power steering, ABS, stabillitrac, and traction control , and torque management managed through the ECU, BCM, TCM, fuel tanks with a specific pump for the engine and fuel lines and trans lines and fuse boxes and oil cooling etc etc etc etc etc and comes with one of two transmissions that make a big difference and even convertible to non differences in suspensions etc and then there is packages RS/ 1LE, 1ss 2ss, 1ls 2ls 1lt 2lt....levels and don't forget zl1, z-28...
Old 09-03-2017, 10:02 AM   #10
Kenny Camaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 1LT RS Camaro
77hp in the autos and 103 in the manual.
Kenny Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:29 AM   #11
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Having owned and driven both the V6 & V8 I guess I had the 'luxury' to feel the difference first hand. I use the word -feel- because that's what I noticed from the get go. I've always said you can't duplicate a 'big car' ride. This being more a 70's experience with the big boats of the era. The SS has a stability and handling feel that was so much different than the LT.

Later I learned about why, here. As Christian said, there are too many things to change for a casual LT to SS swap. Notice I didn't even bring up horsepower! That's the icing the cake, of course, but there's much more than just a bigger motor.
Old 09-03-2017, 10:41 AM   #12
Tenring

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS - SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto-Mojo View Post
Having owned and driven both the V6 & V8 I guess I had the 'luxury' to feel the difference first hand. I use the word -feel- because that's what I noticed from the get go. I've always said you can't duplicate a 'big car' ride. This being more a 70's experience with the big boats of the era. The SS has a stability and handling feel that was so much different than the LT.

Later I learned about why, here. As Christian said, there are too many things to change for a casual LT to SS swap. Notice I didn't even bring up horsepower! That's the icing the cake, of course, but there's much more than just a bigger motor.
Moto-Mojo is on target....my wife drives a V6 and I drive the SS, two totally different cars in almost every way, save looks.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:47 AM   #13
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Engine, brakes & transmission is only everything in terms of difference just like a ZL-1 is compared to my car. Whole other level.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 03:33 PM   #14
JLSuperfly

Drives: 2014 Red Hot LS3
I am surprised. I thought this thread will have 20+ pages by now with some insults directed at one another. Congratulations C5, together, we made progress.
JLSuperfly is offline   Reply With Quote