Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 06-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #1
Knightmare

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Scratch above the Passenger Front Wheel

Well long story short, someone was in the garage with my car moving a small end table. Apparently they were "trying" to be careful until they saw some leaves they didn't recognize on the ground of the garage went "Where did those come from?" and proceeded to smash one of the legs of the end table into my car. They in a panic they took a microfiber towel and tried to "buff" it out putting some swirls around the area -sigh-.

My question is, I've been wanting to get a Porter Cable buffer myself for a long time and really do a good job on my car myself, is this something you think I could do myself?

The picture makes the scratch look worse than it is because of the direct sun light, but something to note is that the scratch isn't the color of the metal, it's actually a light brown-ish color similar to that of the bottom feet of the end table.

No matter the case, you can feel the scratch with your nail, it's a good one. Not such if it's something I could fix myself or if I need a professional shop.

What's your take? (Don't mind the cars a little dusty, doesn't matter how much I wash it - the damned trees in my work's parking lot just cover any car with a little dust film, f'ing sucks after spending all sunday washing and detailing it lol.)

Knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:43 PM   #2
tjk_art

Drives: 2010
Make whoever did it pay for it...whether you want to pay a shop or try your hand at a porter cable
tjk_art is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #3
woodstock

Drives: 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
Is it down to the primer or is that wax showing through?
woodstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:44 PM   #4
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
That looks pretty bad... far beyond the capabilities of the PC or any DA polisher for that matter.

Like you said, the sun makes it look worse than it probably is, but even then if you can catch it with your nail and its as wide as it appears to be thats not repairable with buffing, or even sanding for that matter.

Thats the type of job for a bodyshop.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:54 PM   #5
Knightmare

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
Thats the type of job for a bodyshop.
I figured as much, thus why I posted it here. I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks Boss.

Knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote