Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 11-25-2009, 03:56 PM   #1
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Anyone run a separate oiling system for a blower or turbo-s?

They don't use allot of oil or need allot of PSI so it shouldn't cost a bunch ehy?

Tips, directions?

I could then run the blower on the high mile engine and not share oil, and need not to worry as thats the only chance of damage for the blower is sharing oil on a motor still goin strong but over 220,000miles. I can drive while the low mile one I got to build gets done right. Which means slow to afford the good stuff.

If it won't kill me to run its own mini oiling system, I fear not.
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 04:06 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndgenz28 View Post

They don't use allot of oil or need allot of PSI so it shouldn't cost a bunch ehy?

Tips, directions?

I could then run the blower on the high mile engine and not share oil, and need not to worry as thats the only chance of damage for the blower is sharing oil on a motor still goin strong but over 220,000miles. I can drive while the low mile one I got to build gets done right. Which means slow to afford the good stuff.

If it won't kill me to run its own mini oiling system, I fear not.
It has been done many times over the past 50 years or so, all you need is a tank Vented, an electric oil pump and filter set up some lines and fittings.

The tank must be located under the turbo or supercharger for proper drain back, and must be vented for expansion.

The only issue is Pump Reliability, there are not that many good electric pumps you can rely on.

I have changed a few turbos with a system like this when a bad ground caused the pump not to run and smoked the turbo.

It only takes a few seconds without oil pressure and the turbo is JUNK.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 05:23 PM   #3
derklug

Drives: 12 Boss 302
Most blowers I have seen have a seperate oil system(except for diesels). Most turbos run off of engine oil feeds. If you don't have an oil feed, you can buy adapter plates that go on the oil filter and have oil outlets off of the adapter. I have seen the electric pump setups, but usually in drag racing where the pump doesn't have to run for hours on end. I have never seen a system designed for daily driving.
derklug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2009, 07:58 PM   #4
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Well yes Id have to add an oil feed line, but it has a built in drain back into the valley pan.

Its a matched blower/intake combo.

But id like to run its own oil.

Could just install a 4psi oil switch to the FP to catch oil loss.

Any brand tips on who makes a good pump?
Old 12-21-2009, 03:04 AM   #5
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Hey, brain fart.

Couldn't one just use a PS pump?

Its a reliable setup.

Id like to go manaul steer n e ways.