Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-11-2008, 10:40 PM   #99
EllwynX

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by blindingillusion View Post
... Not to be mean, but damn I hate kids whose parents buy them their first car. You will ever learn to respect a car until you put your own blood, sweat, and tears into one.
I think you should say you hate when their parents buy them a new or high priced car. (From what you say in your next post.)

My parents bought my first car. 1982 Camaro Berlinetta for $2468. I respected the car due to the fact I KNEW I couldn't afford to buy myself another one if I wrecked it. It's all in how the kid(s) were raised...
EllwynX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:51 PM   #100
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
I gotta say, I hate it when parents buy their kids insanely expensive cars too. Half the students at my college are settling for the C class Mercs, low level Porsches, 3 series, and Priuses that their parents bought for them instead of the E classes, 911s, M3s, and hybrid LSs that they "deserve". I gotta say though, I can't wait to see how they cope when mommy and daddy aren't there to spoon feed them caviar anymore.

My parents put the down payment on my first car so that I could drive it to a job to get the money for the monthly payments. They were even nice enough to chip in a little to take a couple bucks off the gas and insurance bills. I don't see it as a matter of learning to take care of a car. I see it as a matter of learning about money. in a day and age when the average American has more debt than they could ever pay off, I have one car paid off, another nearly right side up on its loan (after just over a year) zero credit card debt, a small amount of student loans (because my parents were kind enough to pay for most of my tuition) and I live 100% within my means, all while going to college full time and getting married in 2 months (OK, my parents are chipping in to help pay for the rehearsal dinner and flowers too). I'm not saying you can't do that if your parents bought everything for you, but it has taught me a lot about how to afford things and how to recognize to budget so I can afford to live within my own means.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:13 PM   #101
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Drives: 2010 Camaro
This is me speaking personally, I don't see how people can't learn to budget regardless of parents helping or not, it is simple math. 3000 - 500 = 2600? OH CRAP I cant subtract...i mean it just doesn't make sense. Then again there are some dumb people in the real world but seriously? No one can suck at math that bad can they?
Kyle2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:25 PM   #102
Camarogasm

Drives: Camaro 2SS/RS
Can someone explain how a paddle shifter works? I've never owned one, but might opt for it on my Camaro 'vert. If it becomes optional of course. Thanks.
Camarogasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 11:26 PM   #103
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Well its as simple as upshifting and down shifting right where your fingures kind of wrap around the steering wheel so you can just kind of keep your hands on the wheel and shift. No clutch required. You just kind of click.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:41 PM   #104
Camarogasm

So, it's like the his/hers style shifters on the old musclecars? You can basically dictate what gear/rpm you want to be in.....I'm assuming the tranny would be A6.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:43 PM   #105
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

I honestly dont know what you mean by his/her lol. It is on the A6 though.
Old 03-11-2008, 11:49 PM   #106
Camarogasm

lol....That is a term that meant the shifter has 2 seperate gates, main gate operates like a normal tranny.....slide over to the other gate, and you can shift like a manual. I'm not an authority on the subject, but that is what i remember.....
Old 03-11-2008, 11:51 PM   #107
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

Oh, in that case you're correct.
Old 03-12-2008, 05:58 PM   #108
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I would really love the auto w/ paddle shifters but Ive tried it on my friends Audi A4 and it was pretty slow. Has anyone read anything on how fast the vettes paddle shifting is? Cause thats a big factor.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 06:04 PM   #109
AirGoya

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
This is really the same thing that i've heard from all of what i've read about the auto in the vette.
Quote:
The six-speed paddle-shift automatic transmission on Coupe and Convertible is improved with new hardware and a new controller calibration that deliver quicker shifts. This change bolsters the feeling of performance and driver control when using the shifting paddles.
I just wish they would show how fast of response it has compared to some other car or automatic.

AirGoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:24 PM   #110
NOODLESgoneWILD
IS IT 2009 YET???

Drives: '05 Z51 Black Vette & '06 H2
Send a message via MSN to NOODLESgoneWILD
Quote:
Originally Posted by diarmadhi View Post
Learn to drive an automatic and you can only drive automatics..

Learn to drive a manual and you can drive anything on the road..
Amen!
Old 03-13-2008, 11:51 PM   #111
The_Beast_
THE GoldMember

Drives: '92 Pathfinder A.K.A The BEAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by stovt001 View Post
I gotta say, I hate it when parents buy their kids insanely expensive cars too. Half the students at my college are settling for the C class Mercs, low level Porsches, 3 series, and Priuses that their parents bought for them instead of the E classes, 911s, M3s, and hybrid LSs that they "deserve". I gotta say though, I can't wait to see how they cope when mommy and daddy aren't there to spoon feed them caviar anymore.

My parents put the down payment on my first car so that I could drive it to a job to get the money for the monthly payments. They were even nice enough to chip in a little to take a couple bucks off the gas and insurance bills. I don't see it as a matter of learning to take care of a car. I see it as a matter of learning about money. in a day and age when the average American has more debt than they could ever pay off, I have one car paid off, another nearly right side up on its loan (after just over a year) zero credit card debt, a small amount of student loans (because my parents were kind enough to pay for most of my tuition) and I live 100% within my means, all while going to college full time and getting married in 2 months (OK, my parents are chipping in to help pay for the rehearsal dinner and flowers too). I'm not saying you can't do that if your parents bought everything for you, but it has taught me a lot about how to afford things and how to recognize to budget so I can afford to live within my own means.

MY parents decided that instead of me getting a car and paying for it i have to earn the car. im a sophmore in highschool w/ my permit driving my moms old 1992 nissan pathfinder with her. my dad wanted to buy me a 86 iroc-z 28 like my uncle had but i saw then saw the new ones and is like ya ill get u that. But i need straight A's for the next 2 years to get one so i think thats fair and a good motivation. Plus im not one of those idiots that total a car the second time they drive it, but i know a lot of them

BTW i dont know if this will make me look like a little kind but i own a Ps3 and will be buying a wii soon and my parent never took a cent out of their pockets for anything I've every wanted for myself. i even walk to the store and walked home as not to waste gas.
The_Beast_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:58 PM   #112
Kyle2k
LVL 50 Troll Stomper

In all truth it really doesn't matter what other people think so you don't need to prove yourself to any of us, just be who you are. Welcome to the forums btw. Secondly, you should always strive for good grades, parents try help their kids in this way, but the reason I say this is because if you do; you most likeley will attain a well paying career if you just stick with it. So, that way, you might be able to get a new camaro and then some after your years in school.