Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-01-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
The SwiftChancelor

Drives: SGM, 2011 2SS/RS, L99
Will an X-pipe make any difference?

I have LT headers and a Solo Performance axle-back but still have the stock mid-muffler( or resonator). The car sounds good and loud at wot but still fairly calm at idle. I've heard of Mustangs performing better with H-pipes over X-pipes could that hold true for the Camaro? Is the stock resonator restricting flow compared to if I was to get the Solo X-pipe? EDIT: I know now that the stock mid-muffler(resonator) on my car, the L99 is different than that on the LS3.

Last edited by The SwiftChancelor; 03-02-2012 at 02:07 PM.
The SwiftChancelor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:15 PM   #2
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
I'd say the gains would be minimal. Maybe 5whp range. I had put a magnaflow X-pipe in my car. Only difference I noticed was the tone at WOT. It mellowed it out a bit. It wouldn't be much different than say putting in a Borla cat back system since they would both be 2.5" pipe with the only difference being the X-pipe in the Borla system.
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
Rabamaro

Drives: 2010 ABM SS/RS
I'm not sure if you have an A6 or M6, but the resonator in the M6 doesn't restrict the flow at all.
Vararam Tune CAI, Vararam Power Wedge, 160 degree stat, VMax ported throttle body, Ceramic coated ARH 1 7/8" LTs with X-pipe, Borla S-Type Axle back, MGW short throw, 3.91s, Ported stock IM, BTR Stage IV cam, Heritage Grille, Backup camera, UMI Performance trailing arms and toe rods, dyno tune
Rabamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:15 PM   #4
YourBlindingBias
Banned

Drives: GT500/ZL1
X will always get just a bit more power than H.
but X's are raspy and H's are deep.
YourBlindingBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
dekan513
chevy pride

Drives: 2ss/rs
ive had my car for 2 weeks now and i put magnaflow 2.5 axel back on it and it sounded good a bit quiet but good .then headers and no cats. It was loud really loud. i called the former owner of the car and he had the same kit but cat back which has a x pipe setup instead of the stock h pipe so i bought it off him and it made the car alot quieter i talkin lots at wot. As far as power i can tell a bit at like 2000 rpm to 3500 or so seems to be a bit quicker on the low end . not really enuff to worry about tho may just be in my head where ive read xpipe will help. sound was the only big diff tho.
dekan513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #6
Smirnoff

Drives: Camaro SS
Some have mentioned HP went down with an X pipe.....plenty of information on this site regarding this topic.

Smirnoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #7
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:
Originally Posted by The SwiftChancelor View Post
I have LT headers and a Solo Performance axle-back but still have the stock mid-muffler( or resonator). The car sounds good and loud at wot but still fairly calm at idle. I've heard of Mustangs performing better with H-pipes over X-pipes could that hold true for the Camaro? Is the stock resonator restricting flow compared to if I was to get the Solo X-pipe?
I got 1 HP from a cat-back system. From 651 RWHP to 562 RWHP. Of course, I did the change for exhaust sound improvement, because I knew in advance that there is little, if any, power gains to be had with cat-backs or axle-backs.

There have been lots of dyno tests to document and prove that. Do a search.

Alfie
Old 03-01-2012, 10:55 PM   #8
Atorius

Drives: 2010 SS (LS3)
there is really no HP increase from one to the other. It's just sound. X-pipes may make 1-2 more HP, but H-pipes tend to make 1-2 more Torque. so really no one is better, again it's just what type of sound you want.
Atorius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 08:10 AM   #9
Bad70supreme

Drives: 2010 aqua blue SS/RS M6
Run a H pipe for sound, the X will mellow the tone a bit but does sound great on the gas. The H will have a bit more volume and more true muscle sound. The X pipe does make more power then a H in old school applications but does not seem to hold true for the late model crowd. I would stick with the H, I was going to build a 3" X system for my car but decided to stick with a H after my findings over the last few days, but go to a 3" from the stock 2.5.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:54 AM   #10
Camarowguy

Drives: 2011 imperial blue SS, black 92 RS
What I'm still wanting to know is, does an x pipe help on the l99. I keep reading where the ls3 exhaust is less restrictive and won't really pick up with an x pipe. So....will the l99 pick up since its more restrictive? Dyno tested? Or 1/4 mile proof. I don't want an opinion, I want proof.
2004 5.7 GTO 78mm turbo
Camarowguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #11
alfie43

Drives: S/C 2SS/RS Camaro-6M-VicRed
Send a message via ICQ to alfie43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camarowguy View Post
What I'm still wanting to know is, does an x pipe help on the l99. I keep reading where the ls3 exhaust is less restrictive and won't really pick up with an x pipe. So....will the l99 pick up since its more restrictive? Dyno tested? Or 1/4 mile proof. I don't want an opinion, I want proof.
Like I said, it has been well documented here by many professional tuners/dyno technicians that; with either engine, there is very little, if any, power gains to be had by changing your cat-backs/axle-backs.

There have been countless discussions and threads on this subject. Do a search and you will find all the proof that you want.

Alfie
Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 AM   #12
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
I put on res x pipe to calm drone and popping I hadwith outlaws. In theory they make more low to mid range tq which I noticed of idle(but not much) then the H. but do make it more quiet, smoother sounding, helps kill some drone and deeper sounding as well, but that is the resonated x, not the regular one.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:40 PM   #13
somewhatdamaged

Drives: 16' 2SS M6
I went from the stock H to a resonated X as well. I did notice an increase in low end torque as well as mellowing/refining the sound and less popping. In removing the stock H, you can see that the hole/crossover in it is very small. Seems to be much smaller than what a true X is. I would think that the X would be more efficient in higher HP applications than the stock H, not sure.
Somewhatdamaged
somewhatdamaged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 01:22 PM   #14
The SwiftChancelor

Drives: SGM, 2011 2SS/RS, L99
So with adding a X-pipe( not the resonated X) will It make it quieter or louder? I'm wanting a deeper, louder sound at idle and wot. If the X-pipe just makes the car sound more raspy then I'll stick with the stock resonator.