Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 03:29 PM   #1
FlowmasterMufflers

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
Video: Flowmasters Laminar Flow Technology

Flowmasters Laminar Flow Technology

1.Entry Cone
Hot exhaust gases entering the tapered inlet section are actually accelerated as they pass through the perforated
cone into the outer core area. The perforation pattern and entry angle are specifically engineered
into each product to provide optimum airflow characteristics. The sound energy is reflected and redirected
back into itself as well as into the outer thermal core by the carefully selected taper angle of the entry cone.

2.Laminar Flow Area
The hot exhaust gases are released and allowed to expand into this section in multiple layers due to the tapered angle of the entry cone. This produces a controlled laminar flow pattern that reduces turbulence inside the muffler. Sound waves lose energy in this section through the expansion of the exhaust gases and reflective angles of the cones, which direct the waves into the thermal barrier material.

3.Thermal Barrier
The thermal barrier between the outer core section and the muffler case provides a portion of the mufflers sound energy absorption characteristics. This thermal barrier is engineered to deliver much lower exterior case temperatures, allowing the muffler to be placed closer to heat sensitive areas.

4.Exit Cone
The increased surface area and angle of the tapered exit cone provide an "easy exit" for the hot exhaust gases that encourages the flow out of the muffler. The carefully selected
taper angle of the exit cone directs and focuses the sound energy back into itself. This convergence of sound waves reduces the sound level as it passes out of the muffler.
Old 10-10-2014, 03:55 PM   #2
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Sound clips?
Old 10-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
bhes1

Drives: 2012 2 SS/RS
Drone? I love the flowmaster sound but don't want to spend the $ and have drone...
Old 10-11-2014, 11:21 PM   #4
SSBUSDRVR

Drives: '11 2SS/RS IBM/BLK M6
Very interesting. Like the scavenge motive flow pumps on Aircraft. Instead of moving fuel you are moving exhausts gases/sound waves and calming down the turbulence. What is the sound comparison to an American Thunder?

ProCharger Stage II D1X Race ,Monster Triple,Alky Control Meth Inj, Forgestar F14 Drag Version and a bunch of other blah blah blah.838/688 at 12lbs Street Friendly
Old 10-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Isn't this the hushpower pro series muffler?
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
Old 10-12-2014, 07:27 AM   #6
McBeevee
220/221 whatever it takes

Drives: See sig....
I am very happy with mine.....

2022 BMW X5 M50i
2022 Ram TRX
2021 GT500 CFHP
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8 1058whp/898wtq
1970 Chevelle SS396 4spd
Old 10-13-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
FlowmasterMufflers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62nalide View Post
Sound clips?
If you are wondering how the Flowmaster Pro Series muffler sounds in comparison to some of our other popular muffler series, check out this video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhes1 View Post
Drone? I love the flowmaster sound but don't want to spend the $ and have drone...
By choosing the correct Flowmaster muffler or kit for your vehicle and sound preference, unwanted interior resonance can be avoided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSBUSDRVR View Post
Very interesting. Like the scavenge motive flow pumps on Aircraft. Instead of moving fuel you are moving exhausts gases/sound waves and calming down the turbulence. What is the sound comparison to an American Thunder?
American Thunder is not an individual muffler, it is a Flowmaster kit series referring to the aggressiveness of sound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibbs View Post
Isn't this the hushpower pro series muffler?
Yes, you are correct. However, we no longer use the name Hushpower for any of our laminar flow mufflers.
Old 10-13-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
CamaroKid300
ace5.org

Drives: 2017 ZL1 M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt@Flowmaster View Post
American Thunder is not an individual muffler, it is a Flowmaster kit series referring to the aggressiveness of sound.
Well he is obviously talking about the American Thunder Camaro kit considering we are on a camaro website.....
Old 10-13-2014, 09:22 PM   #9
shibbs
Captain Gingerbeard

Drives: 2012 IOM RS/SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Satisfied View Post
I am very happy with mine.....

That is badass. How is the drone on the highway?
Pedders Coilovers, BMR trailing arms and toe-links, Prothane solid poly subframe bushings, JDP Motorsports rear upper control arm bushings, Texas Speed long-tube headers with 2" primaries, modified fully 3" Magnaflow competition catback. CAI cold-air intake. DBA rotors, Hawk pads.

Quote:
'Hellcat' sounds like some kinda 15 year old furry with liek "I'm a blue fox with wings and magical kawaii powers" kind of sh*t.
Old 10-14-2014, 06:31 AM   #10
McBeevee
220/221 whatever it takes

Drives: See sig....
The drone with my current setup is very light. I originally had the full 3" Kooks system and the drone with those mufflers was horrible! I was really surprised by the reduction in interior resonance with these installed in place of the Kooks mufflers.

2022 BMW X5 M50i
2022 Ram TRX
2021 GT500 CFHP
2016 Challenger Hellcat A8 1058whp/898wtq
1970 Chevelle SS396 4spd
Old 10-14-2014, 06:08 PM   #11
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
How will the sound change with LT Headers?

For example, Borla Atak focuses their technology around the catback and it's very aggressive and DEEP sounding with stock manifolds.

But when my buddy added LT Headers it changed the tone to loud and raspy, the difference was night and day with the tone of the exhaust note.

Now take Corsa for example, pretty quiet and tame but when LT Headers were thrown in there, it sounds extremely deep and loud.
Old 10-16-2014, 05:53 PM   #12
FlowmasterMufflers

Generally, long tube headers will make your exhaust tone a bit deeper. The overall sound of a vehicle will be dependent on how the exhaust system is set up after the header. From your description, my guess would be that your friend's car may have been running an X-pipe.

Last edited by FlowmasterMufflers; 10-16-2014 at 06:04 PM.

Closed Thread

Tags
exhaust, flowmaster, laminar flow, muffler, technology