Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Tuning / Diagnostics -- engine and transmission

Old 10-23-2009, 03:04 PM   #15
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sack Rat 2SS View Post
Not for sure, but early LS3's were dynoing 355 to 360 rwhp. This would roughly apply to the first ten thousand cars. However, now after forty thousand and more cars the dyno results are consistently 370 plus. Same improvements for the L99's. It would seem to me that GM has tweeked the ECM tune over the past short history of our Camaros. It might help to have a recent reflash as pointed out in the earlier post. My 2 cents.
Were those corrected dyno numbers? The first group of cars were dyno'd in the middle of the hot summer, we've seen that the stock tunes are really affected by high temps. The latest group of cars are now neing dyno'd in 20-degree cooler weather. I think that has more to do with it.

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 07:53 AM   #16
m1tankr

Drives: '69 Camaro RS LM-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
not just the milage.

GM keeps a file with the ECM serial number that is on a specific VIN.

So if you take it to a dealer and the car's VIN and ECM s/n don't match, the dealer will know something is up
The new ECM is flashed w/the VIN & I think the mileage is stored elsewhere (BCM if I remember correctly from other threads). Vector & others sell a tuned ECM as an option so you can just plug & play if you want. It's also been confirmed by some of the techs (in other threads) that the GM scanner can not tell if the ECM has been swapped or how many times it's been flashed (that's why they have stealth tunes now). Others have posted that the dealer will reflash for free. Sometimes this has been done automatically while the car was in for non-related work.
m1tankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:38 AM   #17
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrek View Post
So can we just go to the dealer and ask for them to update the software? It seems like there are updates that I should have...
?
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:00 PM   #18
BlackinBlack

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 Blade Silver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
not just the milage.

GM keeps a file with the ECM serial number that is on a specific VIN.

So if you take it to a dealer and the car's VIN and ECM s/n don't match, the dealer will know something is up
If that was the case... then keep the factory ECM stock and Mod the spare one. Not Rocket science.

2013 ZL1 BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
Roto-Fab CAI

2010 2SS/RS BLACK on BLACK <SOLD>
3" MBRP 304 Stainless Exhaust
Roto-Fab CAI
BlackinBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #19
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackinBlack View Post
If that was the case... then keep the factory ECM stock and Mod the spare one. Not Rocket science.
What everyone fails to think about is what happens with a catastrophic failure? Sure you can slap that old ECM in...but if it isn't reading anything near what could have caused your major failure...then do you think the dealer will buy it? Some items have to have a run cycle to reset...so that ECM that's been on the shelf for 6 months still shows something out of kilter for the situation your car is in.

Even the "swap the ECM" trick isn't 100% foolproof and only seems logical if you are only running a CAI, Catback, and Tune. Anything more and your car is going to run like crap when you "untune it" to take to the dealer.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 02:58 PM   #20
BlackinBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
What everyone fails to think about is what happens with a catastrophic failure? Sure you can slap that old ECM in...but if it isn't reading anything near what could have caused your major failure...then do you think the dealer will buy it? Some items have to have a run cycle to reset...so that ECM that's been on the shelf for 6 months still shows something out of kilter for the situation your car is in.

Even the "swap the ECM" trick isn't 100% foolproof and only seems logical if you are only running a CAI, Catback, and Tune. Anything more and your car is going to run like crap when you "untune it" to take to the dealer.
Good point. I think this is only viable when you have a mildly modded car. I.E. long tubes, CAI, full exhaust. The car will run fine without a tune but will have a check engine light or will not have all the performance it could get from the mods.

In addition it would not be very useful for the reasons you stated if you have a major engine failure. Were it could be useful would be for a broken CV joint or a failed output shaft on a trans. Things that GM should not take a tune into consideration for warranty but they are...

Roto-Fab CAI

Roto-Fab CAI
Old 10-26-2009, 03:02 PM   #21
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
no one answered about getting the ECM updated... can we just call the dealership and ask for this?
Old 10-26-2009, 03:08 PM   #22
Oldrocker

Drives: 2010 SS2/RS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTucker View Post
The factory parameters are lost and the monitors are reset to "not ready" when the ECM looses power for any reason. So if you install an unplugged ECM it will definitely not show any believable data. So the thing to do in this instance is to run the car battery down with the flashers and have the car towed in with the battery down and the flashers on, the dealer will be none the wiser.
Oldrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 03:40 PM   #23
SS-screamer

Drives: SIM RS/SS L99
If I get a tune and the only thing I have changed is the AFM shut off, it can void my warranty? If so that would really suck and not seem entirely fair.
SS-screamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2009, 07:44 AM   #24
BlackinBlack

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-screamer View Post
If I get a tune and the only thing I have changed is the AFM shut off, it can void my warranty? If so that would really suck and not seem entirely fair.
From what GM is stating "any" non-stock tune on the ECM voids to power train warranty. You could tune the motor to have a more conservative tune and it would still void the warranty. Right now I don't even look my ECM in the eye... don't want to make GM angry.

Roto-Fab CAI

Roto-Fab CAI
Old 10-30-2009, 01:52 PM   #25
GaryTucker

Drives: 09 Vette GT1, 06 350Z, 82 MSE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-screamer View Post
Why isn't it fair? Why should GM warranty your modified item or anything it is affecting? GM has every right to refuse to warranty modified items as they have no control over the quality of the modification or the additional stress it may cause.
GaryTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2009, 01:35 PM   #26
fastscout

Drives: 18' hbm 2ss conv.
lol...well then maybe GM should offer us L99 guys an option to tune out afm. and they cannot tell me that that would hurt the car via a GM tune...problem solved. never going to happen but it would be nice.
fastscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 01:12 AM   #27
mtcwby
High on "The Camaro Life"

Drives: 2010 2SS, IOM, LS3, Vortech, LG cam
Send a message via AIM to mtcwby
You guys have to remember one thing. SEMA got a law passed that says that the car manufacturer cannot void a warranty just because you installed aftermarket parts. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer to prove that the aftermarkt part caused the failure. It's the law. Contact SEMA for more details if you have a problem with warranty coverage.
Old 11-16-2009, 02:30 AM   #28
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtcwby View Post
You guys have to remember one thing. SEMA got a law passed that says that the car manufacturer cannot void a warranty just because you installed aftermarket parts. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer to prove that the aftermarkt part caused the failure. It's the law. Contact SEMA for more details if you have a problem with warranty coverage.
Changing the way the car deals with the intake air is most definitely not considered a aftermarket part. It's modifying the existing ECU which can get your entire drivetrain warranty denied. CAI's exhaust, and possibly intake manny would be ok, but once you break into the engine, you can almost certainly throw your DRIVETRAIN warranty out the window. I'm sure they'll still cover your interior and other non drivetrain parts though.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote