Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-12-2015, 07:11 PM   #1401
Scooter18155

Drives: 2010 ss/rs 6 speed manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cms3717 View Post
I have made usb power for automotive before. Funny thing, most wall warts for USB drives are at 12v to begin with
I never noticed they were 12v after thinking on it some I may look around see what I can find that might work see if I can mount it someplace out of the way and out of sight.
2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Scooter18155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 07:39 AM   #1402
Cms3717
Recaro Employee

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I at one time wired a bunch of stuff into my old f150 (USB charging ports) I found some inexpensive 12v to 5v transformers. But I also tended to notice most small devices like set top steaming boxes, external drives etc are already at 12v, so that makes it easy to finagle into an auto set-up. I'm always trying to frankenstein something together. I'm really thinking about getting this system new from HICES, But I want to make sure the thing runs right before I plunk down $800, My big concerns are:

Sound: Will it blend correctly with my boston acoustics system, will this require rewiring for line out connection to receiver.

Bluetooth: Wlll this work with the OBD2 bluetooth adapter I have for TORQUE.

LAG: doe this operate like a 2006 cheap tablet.

How is your running? Being used a couple times over I'm sure it's hard to tell what's been done to it already. So many variables...
Cms3717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 08:18 AM   #1403
Scooter18155

Quote:
I at one time wired a bunch of stuff into my old f150 (USB charging ports) I found some inexpensive 12v to 5v transformers. But I also tended to notice most small devices like set top steaming boxes, external drives etc are already at 12v, so that makes it easy to finagle into an auto set-up. I'm always trying to frankenstein something together. I'm really thinking about getting this system new from HICES, But I want to make sure the thing runs right before I plunk down $800, My big concerns are:

Sound: Will it blend correctly with my boston acoustics system, will this require rewiring for line out connection to receiver.

Bluetooth: Wlll this work with the OBD2 bluetooth adapter I have for TORQUE.

LAG: doe this operate like a 2006 cheap tablet.

How is your running? Being used a couple times over I'm sure it's hard to tell what's been done to it already. So many variables...
Yes I'm third owner of system second owner tells me he didn't do much with it. There is deffinately alignment issues I put a cd into it and it doesn't always eject seems to barely hit faceplate.

Sound: I am getting fuzz but like I said I believe that is the wiring all bunched up as I didn't have this the first time I had it installed. Also radio reception seems horrific. Seems if I'm not close to the signal it doesn't come in well at all. I think I need to hook up to antenae connection at the onstar box to fix this instead of the original antenae conection behind radio not sure if there is a cable long enough to do this most likely there is I just haven't looked yet.

Bluetooth I haven't played with this yet (I do have the obd2 Bluetooth module) maybe today or tommorow I'll try playing with this.

Lag It seems quick enough for me the program's seem to load quick. It seems a little slow to shut down programs and return to home screen but not horrific. the annoying part for me is when it first starts up and loads up there is a number of advertisements that come up while waiting.

Like I said I'm deffinately having some issues with this unit some might be due to prev owner uninstalling or installing things. Having a few alignment issues as others have had. The USB ports is the most annoying part at the moment. I'll be returning it to factory image hopefully soon maybe this will clear up some issues.

Last email I got from lim claimed they coming out with a newer unit so might want to wait for that might have less issues maybe fit better. But I soppose opposite could be true too
2010 camaro ss/rs, standard 6 speed, ls3 motor, bmr subframe connectors, jba 3” competition Exhaust, stainless works 1 7/8" headers, adm cold air intake, hurst short throw shifter, bo white ported tb, mishimoto aluminum radiator, mishimoto oil cooler.
Old 04-13-2015, 11:57 AM   #1404
chris7488

Drives: 2011 camaro ss
how do you do updates ?
chris7488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 12:01 PM   #1405
Cms3717
Recaro Employee

I have had a little correspondence with this Francis guy from there. To say we have been "communicating" would be a lie, lol. Ya. I'm I no rush. Maybe the new system is better? But would it still be compatible with the 2010 can bus? Sucks, I really want this thing. It's right up my alley... I can trouble shoot, and know my way around android pretty well... But if the audio connections are sketchy, and it had power shorts, and other ghosts. It will get smashed when I throw one of my hulk tantrums when I finally lose my patience,lol
Old 04-13-2015, 12:47 PM   #1406
Scooter18155

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris7488 View Post
how do you do updates ?
Look on first post of this thread you'll find website of this unit you can find updates there. Put update on sd card to update unit. Never done this myself yet so don't have specific instructions
Old 04-13-2015, 12:49 PM   #1407
Scooter18155

Quote:
I have had a little correspondence with this Francis guy from there. To say we have been "communicating" would be a lie, lol. Ya. I'm I no rush. Maybe the new system is better? But would it still be compatible with the 2010 can bus? Sucks, I really want this thing. It's right up my alley... I can trouble shoot, and know my way around android pretty well... But if the audio connections are sketchy, and it had power shorts, and other ghosts. It will get smashed when I throw one of my hulk tantrums when I finally lose my patience,lol
It's deffinately not something I would recommend installing yourself if you don't like troubleshooting stuff or have little patience.

My car is 2010 2ss/rs I wonder if maybe this is the reason I don't have some issues others have had
Old 04-13-2015, 03:00 PM   #1408
Cms3717
Recaro Employee

I have the same car, that's a good sign
Old 04-13-2015, 03:17 PM   #1409
Scooter18155

Quote:
I have the same car, that's a good sign
Nice yeah I don't seem to have the issue with radio being too loud. I didn't do rca plugs as I seen others who did the rca plugs still having sound issues. This leads me to believe this is not a solution for everyone. I started this thing figuring I'd try doing everything I can without modifying wiring at all before I went that route. I have to admit I'm a little nervous to just cut up the harness especially seeing others still having sound issues afterward. I wonder if it was a sensible fix with the 2.8 op system when the mod first came about. Now with the 4.0 system it either isn't necessary or it no longer fixes issue.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:20 PM   #1410
Scooter18155

Must not forget when that mod was first done they was only using the 2.8 android operating system. They have sence upgraded to using the 4.0 system now so different op systems may dictate different capabilities and manners.
Old 04-13-2015, 03:31 PM   #1411
Cms3717
Recaro Employee

I never did quite understand the bluetooth keyboard ## 0002626 whatever business, and there was something about being able to tell the system what the connection was (line out vs. Speaker out) or maybe they were just talking about the master android system audio out settings. It was glossed over in the almost 60 , pages.. Lol
Old 04-13-2015, 06:08 PM   #1412
Scooter18155

Quote:
I never did quite understand the bluetooth keyboard ## 0002626 whatever business, and there was something about being able to tell the system what the connection was (line out vs. Speaker out) or maybe they were just talking about the master android system audio out settings. It was glossed over in the almost 60 , pages.. Lol

Yes there's a lot of reading on this thread. Lots of redundant questions and info. But lots of good info too. If you look on page 32 maybe? You'll find a video explaining install. I didn't find it extremely helpful but it is good to watch before attempting install. Don't know what the keyboard thing is either but I do know in order to change screen settings for hd screen you need to hook up a mouse. Not sure what that does for you but that's what lim told me. So I'm assuming hooking up a mouse opens up other settings he didn't explain it very well. He also didn't say if you can use a Bluetooth mouse or if it has to be usb driven. He told me that in his directions for returning unit to factory settings.
Old 04-13-2015, 06:40 PM   #1413
Cms3717
Recaro Employee

Maybe this weekend ill make a public document on google drive summing up all the worthwhile posts and links from this site, then let the people that own one add to it... It's rough digging back through the rubble That being said. Whens this new "new version" come out?
Old 04-13-2015, 07:29 PM   #1414
Scooter18155

Quote:
Maybe this weekend ill make a public document on google drive summing up all the worthwhile posts and links from this site, then let the people that own one add to it... It's rough digging back through the rubble That being said. Whens this new "new version" come out?
The screen shot shows what he told me. Apparently an updated version with more memory and storage allowing for android 4.4 and later 5.0 and something about it automatically updating.
Attached Images