Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 05-07-2010, 06:18 PM   #1
Jason@JacFab

Drives: 2016 1LT RS Camaro; 72 Chevelle
Send a message via AIM to Jason@JacFab Send a message via MSN to Jason@JacFab
Before I cut up my exhaust... Your opinions on this... (Now on the car w/ video!)

In my quest to make my car a little louder, and attempt to make things myself I did this up today. It's 2.5" pipe, expanded on the ends so the factory pipe should slide right in and I can clamp it.

I made it long enough so that it replaced the factory H pipe, and deletes the resonators at the same time.

Total cost into this before clamps is $100 so far. After I got it put back together I took it down to a local exhaust guy, and he said it should work fine for what I'm trying to do, and sound beefier.

So take a look at the pic... Did I just waste $100 bucks trying to do this myself?

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 05-09-2010 at 07:46 PM.
Jason@JacFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:22 PM   #2
LS3SSRS

Drives: 2010 IBM SS/RS
Decent. Especially for $100. Bolt her in there and see how it sounds
Old 05-07-2010, 08:26 PM   #3
n2oSS

Drives: 2010 SS2 Camaro
I did the old fashioned muffler delete, ie cutting torch and weld just pipe back on when i first got car and it sounded pretty good. After 1 7/8 headers and high flow cats car was way too loud ......... so if your looking for loud that way definately works
Appearance Mods:
AAC Concept Sidemarkers, P13W Plasma LED Bulbs, Iforged Classics 20".
Next Mods:
Cam and Fuel System.
n2oSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:14 PM   #4
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Meh, throw that @#%$^ in there and let's hear it. You'll have your answer then.
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:17 PM   #5
1CAMSS

Drives: 2010 1SS CAMARO/GBA/M6- sold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacnJsn95 View Post
In my quest to make my car a little louder, and attempt to make things myself I did this up today. It's 2.5" pipe, expanded on the ends so the factory pipe should slide right in and I can clamp it.

I made it long enough so that it replaced the factory H pipe, and deletes the resonators at the same time.

Total cost into this before clamps is $100 so far. After I got it put back together I took it down to a local exhaust guy, and he said it should work fine for what I'm trying to do, and sound beefier.

So take a look at the pic... Did I just waste $100 bucks trying to do this myself?

no waste! just put that on and give us a video clip of your new mod!

1SS @ home. 12/14/2009
1CAMSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 11:30 PM   #6
Jason@JacFab

I was concerned with the X being too small in the center? But I haven't seen anything negative about it, so I guess I'll put it on on Sunday, video to follow...
Old 05-07-2010, 11:46 PM   #7
The 2010 Sin
Dont H8 Me Cuz U Aint Me

Drives: 2016 SS Sedan, 2017 Explorer Sport
lookss great.. id love to see the internal. :-) mount it up see what happens! :-)
Old 05-08-2010, 12:00 AM   #8
OneQuickGP

Drives: 2010 IOM 2SS/RS
Wow, that looks nearly identical to the Edelbrock pipe I put on my car. Made it only a tad louder, probably not even noticeable to anyone but me. I still plan on doing something with the mufflers this summer after we get back from taking the car on our family vacation.
Old 05-08-2010, 12:14 AM   #9
Jason@JacFab

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneQuickGP View Post
Wow, that looks nearly identical to the Edelbrock pipe I put on my car. Made it only a tad louder, probably not even noticeable to anyone but me. I still plan on doing something with the mufflers this summer after we get back from taking the car on our family vacation.
Crap... I just looked up that edelbrock piece... I didn't even know someone offered such a thing... and for $129 out of stainless with clamps from summit?! I wish I would have com across that earlier... Here I thought I was on to something. Could have had a better piece, for the same price, or such a small amount more it wouldn't have mattered.

Well at least I can say I made it...

I think I'm making a bigger deal about the X being too small than I should. I've been reading some stuff on exhaust theory, and I just can't seem to get out of my head that exhaust isn't a constant flow, it "pulses" with the cylinders as they fire... Now that I've remembered that, I think the X will be just fine. Hopefully this will finish off the setup, and give me that "sound I'm looking for".

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 05-08-2010 at 12:16 AM. Reason: Adding text
Old 05-09-2010, 01:24 PM   #10
longbeachss2010

Drives: black SS
well atleast your putting a x pipe i didnt. its load with a x pipe makes it a lil less load.
longbeachss2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 07:45 PM   #11
Jason@JacFab

I think it would be been a lot less work, and cost me way less if I just ran straight pipes without the X, but its already done.

Got it finished, and on the car! I've never been so nervous while building something before. After I made the first couple cuts on my stock exhaust my heart was pounding, hoping that I didn't screw up when I designed this, or my car would be down for months!!!

Luckily, it went together perfect, fits like a glove, and I think almost looks factory. Here is a couple pictures.

And here is the video...

Is there more power? Hard to say, but I'm not a very optimistic guy, so I doubt it. Then again it is wet today, and it's hard to get traction. Is it louder? It seems slightly louder an it idle, and a little more so on the outside when under load... I haven't experienced any drone, and it's still comfortable inside the cab while driving. The one this that I did notice, is that when I would rev, and sometimes on decel, and starting, it would pop (backfire?)... It hasn't done it once yet since I put this X-pipe and resonator delete setup on today... So over all I'm happy with it... for now

The total cost for this project start to finish was $111.96, about an hour to make the x-pipe, and 2.5 hours for install.

Last edited by Jason@JacFab; 06-28-2011 at 07:30 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
Excellent! Now you have your answer.

The power difference of this mod on this car is practically unmeasurable due to any other given environmental variable during any given test. It starts to come in more handy when you do the other power creating mods such as cams, then further unrestricting such as headers. Till then it's pretty much a sound modification, and it sounds good, so you win!
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:43 PM   #13
Jason@JacFab

Wow I spelled launch wrong in the video... Oops!
Old 05-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #14
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
looks good