Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics > ZL1 Wheels/Tires

Old 01-25-2013, 02:02 PM   #1
MS3DALE

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3/6M Litho#190
ZL1 tires

I know this has been discussed and talked about before,but this just come out from GM today.....

Important Date:01/25/2013
Ref. number:Service / Service Operations / G_0000157402
Subject:ZL1 - 1LE Tires
GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES

GMSO415
URGENT - DISTRIBUTE IMMEDIATELY

Date: January 25, 2013
SubjectZL1 - 1LE Tires
Models:Camaro ZL1 And 1LE
To:All Chevrolet Dealers
Attention:Service Manager, Sales Manager, Warranty Administrator, Parts Managers

The Camaro ZL1 and 1LE vehicles come standard equipped with 285/35ZR20 & 305/35ZR20 Goodyear F1 Supercar G2 D.O.T. approved ultra high performance summer tires with track capability.

Goodyear F1 Supercar Performance tires are a summer season tire and are not intended to be driven on snow, ice, or road surfaces below -7° C (20° F).

If the ambient temperature in your location is at or below -7° C (20° F), DO NOT MOVE THIS VEHICLE. The rubber used in these tires loses flexibility and may develop surface cracks in the tire tread/shoulder area at colder temperatures. Tire movement, when the temperature is below -7° C (20° F), may result in surface crack in the tread area of the tire. A surface crack on a tire is cosmetic and will not result in a loss of air

Example of a tire with a surface crack.

Special tread and compound used on these performance tires will cause a decrease in performance in cold climates, heavy rain, and standing water.

Driving on wet roads, in heavy rain, or through standing water with Summer Season Performance tires may result in hydroplaning and loss of vehicle control.

Driving with Summer Season Performance Tires on snow, ice, or cold road surfaces can cause loss of control or an accident

Refer to service bulletin 04-03-10-013G: Driving Characteristics of Rear Wheel Drive Vehicles and Available Winter Tires for further information on available winter tires.

Tire Storage
It is recommended for these tires to be stored indoors at temperatures above 20 deg F (-7 deg C) when not in use. If the tires have been subject to 20 deg F (-7 deg C) or less, let them warm up in a heated space to at least 40 deg F for 24 hours or more before installation or driving the vehicle. Inflate the tires only after they have been warmed above 40 deg F (5 deg C). Do not place tires near heaters or heating devices used to warm the room where the tires are stored. Do not apply heat or blow heated air directly on the tires. Always inspect tires before use after storage periods.

END OF MESSAGE
GM CUSTOMER CARE & AFTERSALES

'11 IOM 2SS/RS LS3/6M HURST - Roto-Fab CAI-Kook's LTs-CORSA-Black Bear tuned
Proud Litho owner #190 - Homecoming Litho #120
'15 SILVERADO Z71 1500 LTZ Crew Cab - 6.2 "Midnight Edition" -Airaid intake-CORSA
MS3DALE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #2
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
First they say not to drive them below 40 degrees but now it's 20? I'll follow the Goodyear bulletin
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #3
snackbar64

Drives: SW 2017 ZL1, M6, Carbon, Nav, MR,
This may be just to drive up sales during the winter. If it has to sit, it may as well sit at the dealership without a payment attached to it may be the thinking of many potential customers in the cold climate areas.
snackbar64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
HDRDTD

Drives: 2013 Triple Black ZL1 Vert M6 ECF
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
First they say not to drive them below 40 degrees but now it's 20? I'll follow the Goodyear bulletin
The original bulletin said not to drive on them below 40, and not to even STORE them at below 20.

Now they're saying not to even move the car below 20 because it might crack the tires.

Perhaps this was in part to address those people that thought they would still be able to store their cars outside or in an unheated garage for the winter months?

Either way, I played it safe and swapped my spare set of wheels/tires from my 2011 SS and put the ZL1 set in the basement.
HDRDTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:53 PM   #5
Oneslowz28
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro ZL1 #1265
Im happy i have a heated garage. been at 50* all winter so far.
Oneslowz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 PM   #6
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
I have decied I just don't like these tires for a street car. If lived in a warmer state they would not bother me the grip in low temperatures just is not woth it.

when these wear out michelin Super sports are going on.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Nothing has changed here compared to the initial information.

The tires, being summer tires are not designed to be driven under 40ºF. They won't be damaged...but traction is significantly lowered under 40 until they warm up, similar to any summer tire. So the early thing was a warning (probably for legal purposes) to just not drive the car at all. (I've driven from as cold as 33º...a little common sense and caution goes a long way)

This notice mirrors exactly what the early information said: DO NOT DRIVE, or preferably, don't even STORE these tires under 20º. The rubber (apparently) becomes brittle. If you do store it...just don't move it, they'll be fine as soon as they warm back up to ambient temperatures.

Thanks for sharing again, MS3DALE.

The ZL1 and 1LE are no-compromises cars. They were built to go stupid-fast, end of story. This special care is part of that deal. I've experienced these tires on the track, and in the cold/wet weather. They're phenominal in the first case, and "good/okay" in the second case (as long as you recognize what you're driving...and using PTM mode 1 helps a lot). I intend to buy another set in a heartbeat. Plus - OE tires will allow me to keep Performance Traction Management fully-functional...other tires may not do that.

I park the car in the winter, anyways, so I guess the storage issue isn't a huge deal for me. If you don't, though - I hope you purchased a set of Blizzaks...
Old 01-25-2013, 10:42 PM   #8
FINALLYSATISFIED
Est.1775

Drives: '15 Challenger Hellcat (sold)
Interesting. Real frikkin interesting.
FINALLYSATISFIED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Nothing has changed here compared to the initial information.

The tires, being summer tires are not designed to be driven under 40ºF. They won't be damaged...but traction is significantly lowered under 40 until they warm up, similar to any summer tire. So the early thing was a warning (probably for legal purposes) to just not drive the car at all. (I've driven from as cold as 33º...a little common sense and caution goes a long way)

This notice mirrors exactly what the early information said: DO NOT DRIVE, or preferably, don't even STORE these tires under 20º. The rubber (apparently) becomes brittle. If you do store it...just don't move it, they'll be fine as soon as they warm back up to ambient temperatures.

Thanks for sharing again, MS3DALE.

The ZL1 and 1LE are no-compromises cars. They were built to go stupid-fast, end of story. This special care is part of that deal. I've experienced these tires on the track, and in the cold/wet weather. They're phenominal in the first case, and "good/okay" in the second case (as long as you recognize what you're driving...and using PTM mode 1 helps a lot). I intend to buy another set in a heartbeat. Plus - OE tires will allow me to keep Performance Traction Management fully-functional...other tires may not do that.

I park the car in the winter, anyways, so I guess the storage issue isn't a huge deal for me. If you don't, though - I hope you purchased a set of Blizzaks...
It's not the same. The first one said not to drive them below 40*, this one says 20*

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187045
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 11:30 PM   #10
muscle96ss

Drives: 02 SS 35th LE Vert, 2013 ZL-1 Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by KKreme15 View Post
It's not the same. The first one said not to drive them below 40*, this one says 20*

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=187045
The first bulletin is from Goodyear for the for the F1 Supercar. This bulletin is from GM. I am going to guess the difference is that the tires on the ZL1 are not normal F1 Supercars like the ones you would buy from Goodyear. From what I have heard the tires on our cars were made to different specs especially for GM. Therefore although similar they are essentially 2 different tires. Hope this makes sense.
muscle96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:11 AM   #11
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
It was 75 here today.

tramtwo posted this on the go
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 12:30 AM   #12
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle96ss View Post
The first bulletin is from Goodyear for the for the F1 Supercar. This bulletin is from GM. I am going to guess the difference is that the tires on the ZL1 are not normal F1 Supercars like the ones you would buy from Goodyear. From what I have heard the tires on our cars were made to different specs especially for GM. Therefore although similar they are essentially 2 different tires. Hope this makes sense.
It's a good point, but it's still almost the same warning. The cracks in both tires were probably cause by driving in temps in the 20s or below. The first warning said Goodyear doesnt recommend driving on these tires below below 40, but both warnings said when the temp gets around 20 that the sidewalks could start splitting.
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:14 AM   #13
Asanti

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Convertible
Really? Geez! So what would be a good year round tire where temps can be 0 or 90, not in the same day of course?
Asanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
Terebit
TBit

Drives: 1973 Camaro Type LT & 2013 ZL1
Great information. Has anyone seen a credible (manufacturer) recommendation for a replacement All-Season tire for the ZL1?
Terebit is offline   Reply With Quote