Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 07-17-2013, 01:57 PM   #967
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapshot View Post
You've got me convinced to cut the running for now. Maybe I'll just do it once a week?

Suggestions on diet as far as what should I be eating? I know I need more, it's taking some getting used to.
Are you actively playing hockey now? If so I'd drop it totally.

I'm going to go against what most will probably say....

You need some red meat. And at night, if I were you, I'd mix a scoop of good protein, a scoop of a good amino acid, and an extra scoop of glutamine....put it in a blender with some whole milk, a couple of raw eggs, and a scoop of good ice cream and make a shake.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:58 PM   #968
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Also curious...

Do you drink alcohol? If so how much?

How much do you sleep?

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #969
Slapshot

Drives: 2010 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CFD View Post
I think you will find it to be productive. We can also work on nutrition as one will not work without the other.

What time of day do you wake and when do you work out.

As mentioned, running is counter productive to muscle gaining but if you do not exceed 20 min of light running you will be ok, the thing is if you do follow the above program and perform all lifts correctly you may want to keep your off days for recovery. Perhaps not, I get quite sore, to the point where it's hard two walk as my muscles ache, but then, I'm 58. lol
I'm usually up by 6am. Gym by 630 work at 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post

You need some red meat. And at night, if I were you, I'd mix a scoop of good protein, a scoop of a good amino acid, and an extra scoop of glutamine....put it in a blender with some whole milk, a couple of raw eggs, and a scoop of good ice cream and make a shake.
Hockey has pretty much died off for the summer. I'll be back at it in Sep or Oct.

Quote:
Also curious...

Do you drink alcohol? If so how much?

How much do you sleep?
I drink maybe once a week. Have maybe 2-3 whiskeys. Sleeping avg of 7-8 hours a night.
Slapshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #970
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Quote:

Pound for pound red meat has the most muscle building proteins available. The problem is saturated fat intake. The solution is grass fed beef or bison. I personally eat bison and have posted a few recipies with it.

On any serious muscle building program most other activities should be restricted. Muscle growth requires adequate time for recovery or strength gains will be minimal
CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:07 PM   #971
CFD

Quote:
I'm usually up by 6am. Gym by 630 work at 8

Hockey has pretty much died off for the summer. I'll be back at it in Sep or Oct.

I drink maybe once a week. Have maybe 2-3 whiskeys. Sleeping avg of 7-8 hours a night.

Do you eat before you workout ? some do some can't, personally I always have at least one solid meal under my belt before lifting.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #972
CFD

Quote:
The template above is fine (although I think there should be more tricep work in there) but if I were you on workout 4 I would substitute sets of 20 for the sets of 8-12 in the squat.
I think there is adequate tricept work because of their use in other associated lifts, not so much as isolation exercises.

With the squats, I find with me,( everyone's different, especially with recovery, that's why the first week is kind of familiarization to the lifts and weight loads) that come time to do workout 4 my legs have had it and 8-12 reps finishes them off pretty good.

As said everyone is different and I would suggest sticking to the routine as written, run it's 4 week course and re -evaluate. If you perform all exercises as described and concentrate on form and complete range of motion for each lift you will feel every muscle you've targeted on that day, if you don't then when you adjust after the 4 week period you can adjust it accordingly but I use this routine and can vouch for it's balanced structure.
Old 07-17-2013, 02:20 PM   #973
Slapshot

I have to eat before working out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-17-2013, 02:21 PM   #974
Ice992
Semper Fi

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS A6
wow... just now finding this thread!

I've dropped about 40lbs over the last few months... still a long way to go, but getting there!

Ready to live life on your terms?

-H-Town Camaro Club-
Ice992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 02:48 PM   #975
CFD

Quote:
I have to eat before working out.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2
Same here. Nutrition surrounding your workouts are the most important so here are my thoughts.

If you are going to eat before your workout the meal should include carbs and a good clean protein. Oatmeal is a slower digesting carb but it can be utilized in a meal by adding higher glycemic carbs with it. I have a recipie that I eat almost every morning designed for this purpose. I will dig it up if you wish to try it.

Post workout should be a high glycemic carb and protein nothing else, for example, 2 scoops whey protein and dextrose based drink. You have a 20 min window post workout where your body will utilize protein intake the most but to get the protein into your system quickly and utilize protein synthesis you need insulin and insulin is produced from high glycemic carbs. Fat should be avoided where as fat slows digestion.

When someone eats post workout I prescribe the opposite, I high glycemic protein drink prior to the workout and a high glycemic carb and protein post workout i.e. the traditional meat and potatoes or protein and pasta.

Every meal you eat should include a protein source and a good dose of them

with a little more input as to when you eat your other meals suggestions can be made. One thing I adhere to is after about 7 pm my meals are restricted with the exception of a casein protein such as low fat cottage cheese slightly before retiring. Reason being your muscle need a constant supply of protein for growth, carbs at night will not be burned and more likely to be stored as fat so eating is counterproductive in preventing fat stores. Casein proteins are slow digesting so will extend the protein supply longer while you resting and muscles grow occurs.

I am not big on supplements as proper diet should provide all the micro's needed but two that I feel are useful is the obvious whey protein and creatine monohydrate. Creatine is something that is found naturally in foods such as red meats and certain shell fish but they are sometimes avoided because of the saturated fat. Creatine should also be mixed with a warm drink as it does not absorb easily.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #976
CFD

You may want to try something like this. If you do not eat that much first thing at least add a scoop or two of protein powder to your oatmeal .

1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
1 whole egg
1 scoop protein powder
1/2 banana

Mix the oatmeal, egg. protein powder and milk well with a fork, nuke for two min. Top with the rest off the ingredients, you'll love it and it's packed with nutrients. It's my breakfast of choice most of the time.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:52 PM   #977
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
I think there is adequate tricept work because of their use in other associated lifts, not so much as isolation exercises.

With the squats, I find with me,( everyone's different, especially with recovery, that's why the first week is kind of familiarization to the lifts and weight loads) that come time to do workout 4 my legs have had it and 8-12 reps finishes them off pretty good.

As said everyone is different and I would suggest sticking to the routine as written, run it's 4 week course and re -evaluate. If you perform all exercises as described and concentrate on form and complete range of motion for each lift you will feel every muscle you've targeted on that day, if you don't then when you adjust after the 4 week period you can adjust it accordingly but I use this routine and can vouch for it's balanced structure.
Eh not really. The tricep is probably the most under pushed muscle when it comes to most training regimens. Yet it's capable of a ton of work. Most people can't press weight because they do triceps as an afterthought.

The 20 rep squat workout is not about legs....it's about adding total body mass which the person we are talking about is in desperate need of.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/irontamer5.htm

Squat...drink milk.

http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/2...-squat-program

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 07-17-2013, 04:13 PM   #978
CFD

Quote:
Eh not really. The tricep is probably the most under pushed muscle when it comes to most training regimens. Yet it's capable of a ton of work. Most people can't press weight because they do triceps as an afterthought.

The 20 rep squat workout is not about legs....it's about adding total body mass which the person we are talking about is in desperate need of.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/irontamer5.htm

Squat...drink milk.

http://www.seriouspowerlifting.com/2...-squat-program
Every exercise on day 1 uses the tricepts especially when performed slow on the eccentric part of the lift as well as two isolation exercise, separating the two allows for some active recovery where as they are both strenuous lifts. I always say the proof is in how you feel the day after, if you an feel your triceps you know you targeted them well and this is the case with me anyways when performed as outlined.

As for the squats, as I said he should stick to the program as outlined for the first 4 weeks then adjust if needed. Again I an only going by me and info given by others that have tried it, come Saturday doing more squats may not be possible as the legs are worked quite hard

Ho doesn't need to follow this plan, or it can be adjusted but the more important thing is not to make changes until at least a 4 week period other wise your wasting energy .
Old 07-17-2013, 04:52 PM   #979
Dznts
Anabolic Connoisseur

Drives: Sold - Blown Camaro 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
You may want to try something like this. If you do not eat that much first thing at least add a scoop or two of protein powder to your oatmeal .

1/2 cup oatmeal
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
1 whole egg
1 scoop protein powder
1/2 banana

Mix the oatmeal, egg. protein powder and milk well with a fork, nuke for two min. Top with the rest off the ingredients, you'll love it and it's packed with nutrients. It's my breakfast of choice most of the time.
i may have to try this out sometime
Old 07-17-2013, 04:55 PM   #980
Slapshot

Thank you to both of you for the input. I'll be happy if I can get up around 225 and stay there. I know it's going to take a lot of work, but I want to be there really bad.