Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-26-2013, 04:56 PM   #1
peakspeedshop

Drives: Camaro Service Provider
Dyno Results on Radical Ported Intake Manifold

Here are dyno results provided by a customer that had their LS3 intake manifold Radical Ported by Peak Speed Shop....

"First let me tell you I have an 08 Vert A6 with AR 1 3/4" headers going through highflow cats and Corsa Sport exhaust. Other additions are a Vararam CAI with throttle body spacer and a tune by TJ Wong. Over the past winter I installed a ported intake manifold and throttle body from Peak Speed Shop. The manifold was treated to the Radical porting. Nothing else on my car has changed other than I have added about 7,000 miles since TJ first tuned it.
Right after installing the ported throttle body and manifold for some reason my idle speed dropped about 50 - 100 rpm. It was initially about 100 but after driving it about 30 miles it ended up about 50 RPM lower. I drove about 3 hours south to TJ Wongs and added about 10 gallons of fresh gas to my last years leftover fuel I was still burning and then we strapped the car down. TJ Wong uses a Mustang Dyno and all of his equipment is the same as the first time he tuned my car. While tuniing for drivability at part throttle and load, TJ noticed the AFR was rich and about 10% fuel was being removed to adjust for it. TJ explained the MAF was seeing more air going by and enrichening the AFR only to have the O2 sensor remove it. TJ adjusted the fuel tables to remedy the issue and we moved on to the first full pull.
On the first pull, the AFR was again a little bit rich and we picked up 12 HP and 14 foot pounds of torque. An additional adjustment to the AFR resulted in an increase of 14 HP and 18 foot pounds of torque. For those of you focused only on the numbers I think you may be selling the mod short. The final numbers for my particular car came to 414/389 on this given day. What the numbers don't talk about is how the car feels. Tip in is definitely sharper and part throttle respoinse (light load) is way more crispy. This is where I spend much of my time driving (even a Vette can only do 20 MPH in traffic) and I really appreciate the additional responsivness. What about matted ? Yes you can feel it there too. I jumped on it from a 25 MPH roll and it boiled the tires so bad I hit the fuel cutoff before the tranny had a chance to shift. In second it carried the tires and just nipped the fuel shut-off again. I can say with certainty it has never done that before.
My last impressions are this: IM and throttle body porting does work. It may not add as much as a headers and full exhaust with a tune, but you will feel the difference. For a guy like me who already has the other major bolt-ons it was the next logical step for me to modify and I'm very glad I did it. Of course the results are more to the credit of Bob at Peak Speed Shop for the excellent work and TJ Wong for his excellent tuning. I just bolted the thing on and anyone can do that."
Ken - Mercer Island, WA

AFTER

BEFORE

Dyno-tune results provided by TJ Wong - Vancouver, WA

For information on our intake manifold porting services, see our thread in the Sponsors Classified section at
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=315169
peakspeedshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:41 PM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
What is involved in YOUR porting process? We have a few shops that port IM's but none of them really add much on a bolt-on car.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 05:54 PM   #3
62nalide

Drives: 2013 SS
Any flow charts?
62nalide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #4
peakspeedshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
What is involved in YOUR porting process? We have a few shops that port IM's but none of them really add much on a bolt-on car.
Besides porting the runners, our Radical Porting goes the extra step of removing the three posts inside the plenum in order to create better air flow. We do it in such a way that it still stands up under the high pressure of super chargers if someone wants to add one. That's why we get better results than most other companies. Plus, 90% of what we do is porting intakes and throttle bodies. So, we are very good at removing material in key places to maximize results.

Here is a picture of the plenum before and after the posts are removed.

Old 08-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #5
LS3 SS

Drives: 2010 Cyber Grey Camaro SS (LS3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by peakspeedshop View Post
Besides porting the runners, our Radical Porting goes the extra step of removing the three posts inside the plenum in order to create better air flow. We do it in such a way that it still stands up under the high pressure of super chargers if someone wants to add one. That's why we get better results than most other companies. Plus, 90% of what we do is porting intakes and throttle bodies. So, we are very good at removing material in key places to maximize results.

Here is a picture of the plenum before and after the posts are removed.

Can you PM me your pricing, shipping prices, and turn around time? Thanks.
Old 08-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #6
peakspeedshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS3 SS View Post
Can you PM me your pricing, shipping prices, and turn around time? Thanks.
Yes, sending you a PM.
Old 08-26-2013, 08:12 PM   #7
Rhino79

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS L99/Auto
Well, Id honestly say the power came from turning off cat protection, hence the rich drop off on the top end of the original pull. Power from 11.5 to 12.5 can be this much gain.
Rhino79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:52 PM   #8
litle88
V8 Lounge member #2

Drives: 2001 Ws6
On an Ls2 intake I do see where you can gain from porting but not on an Ls3/L99 intake.

Send me one and ill put it on my 2010 with bolt ons and a mustang dyno as well. Same time same day.

Do you guys offer refunds if there are no gains?
2001 ws6, 40k miles, Ls3 416 stroker, short block built by PER the rest by me. LPE Ls3 heads milled to 12-1 comp, FAST 102, NW 102, kooks 2", dual DMH cutouts, Magnaflow C/B, BTR cam + springs. Full UMI suspension.
litle88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #9
TBone
Negative Camber Junkie

Drives: 2010 1SS LS3/6MN ABM 1 of 23

T.
I can't wait for my next
Track fix.
DA HAWKS OWN DA CUP!!!!!
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
Nightmare2012
come find out;)

Drives: stockish 2012 camaro ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post
On an Ls2 intake I do see where you can gain from porting but not on an Ls3/L99 intake.

Send me one and ill put it on my 2010 with bolt ons and a mustang dyno as well. Same time same day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post

T.
x3
Mines an ls7 though
Nightmare2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 11:30 PM   #11
H8S FORD
Head Ford Harasser

Drives: '10 IOM 2SS/RS LS3
H8S FORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:50 AM   #12
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
There is no way this thing doesn't resonate or flex under boost with the posts out.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:10 AM   #13
white ZL1

Drives: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhino79 View Post
Well, Id honestly say the power came from turning off cat protection, hence the rich drop off on the top end of the original pull. Power from 11.5 to 12.5 can be this much gain.
This. It's leaner across the board.
white ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:13 AM   #14
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Originally Posted by litle88 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBone View Post

T.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare2012 View Post
x3
Mines an ls7 though
Ah....

An independent ported intake test

Carry on...

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dyno, intake manifold, intake porting, peak speed shop, radical port