Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-16-2008, 11:39 AM   #1
logan1080

Drives: 2003 Crew Cab Duramax
Arrow Chat with Bob lutz today..

I got in on the questions that were asked to Bob Lutz today at GMnext.com. I was the only one asking questions about the Camaro, but here is what I asked and his replies:

logan1080: As the years get closer to the year 2020, are the horsepower numbers going to start to drop off or increase in your performance vehicles such as Camaro and the Corvette?
You message has been accepted.
BobLutz:
My best guess is HP will stabilize... less focus on high performance, and more focus on energy saving technologies. CTS-V and ZR1 would be sound investments at this point.

logan1080 to BobLutz:
How much emphasis will be put into adding things like turbochargers , and supercharges to increase fuel mileage as well as performance in future products?
BobLutz:
Quite a bit.

logan1080 to BobLutz:
This is a question many have enthusiasts been waiting for. Any plans for a supercharger or turbo to be available in the near future for the Camaro on both the V6 and V8 models?
BobLutz:
Nothing currently planned.

logan1080 to BobLutz:
With Ford already implementing superchargers for fuel efficiency and power, and Dodge`s planned reveal of a supercharged Challenger at SEMA, what is in store for GM in the near future?
BobLutz:
First of all, Ford's ECO-boost is for small turbochargers, not superchargers. And i don't know about the Dodge plans, i imagine that's a real supercharger tuned for performance rather than fuel economy. Stay tuned on GM's plans.

logan1080:
With multiple vehicles taking on the SS badges, is the Z28 name gone for good?
BobLutz:
No names are ever gone for good, seemingly.

logan1080:
For people like me who will be purchasing a Camaro, would you recommend holding off a year if we want a Camaro with more performance?
BobLutz:
I thought as you did until i drove the 300-hp V6. A wonderfully balanced car with great handling and a superb sound. Buy at least one of those.

That`s all i got, no real straight answers but he never said no to anything, just might not see it in the next year or 2.
logan1080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
I don't like what he said about aftermarket superchargers, but his V6 comment is very encouraging. I also like that GM may be working on efficient forced induction.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:03 PM   #3
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Right on! Great job, logan!

You're right. He didn't want to answer too specifically, but he also never said "no.'
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:04 PM   #4
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
logan1080 to BobLutz:
With Ford already implementing superchargers for fuel efficiency and power, and Dodge`s planned reveal of a supercharged Challenger at SEMA, what is in store for GM in the near future?
BobLutz:
First of all, Ford's ECO-boost is for small turbochargers, not superchargers. And i don't know about the Dodge plans, i imagine that's a real supercharger tuned for performance rather than fuel economy. Stay tuned on GM's plans.
This is encouraging and annoying at the same time.... Mostly cus I'm selfish and can't wait to see what's on the way....

GO GM!

Thanks Logan!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:08 PM   #5
Congoman775

Drives: Muscle
Quote:
Originally Posted by logan1080 View Post
I got in on the questions that were asked to Bob Lutz today at GMnext.com. I was the only one asking questions about the Camaro, but here is what I asked and his replies:

logan1080: As the years get closer to the year 2020, are the horsepower numbers going to start to drop off or increase in your performance vehicles such as Camaro and the Corvette?
BobLutz:
My best guess is HP will stabilize... less focus on high performance, and more focus on energy saving technologies. CTS-V and ZR1 would be sound investments at this point.

logan1080 to BobLutz:
How much emphasis will be put into adding things like turbochargers , and supercharges to increase fuel mileage as well as performance in future products?
BobLutz:
Quite a bit.

logan1080 to BobLutz:
This is a question many have enthusiasts been waiting for. Any plans for a supercharger or turbo to be available in the near future for the Camaro on both the V6 and V8 models?
BobLutz:
Nothing currently planned.

logan1080 to BobLutz:
BobLutz:

logan1080:
With multiple vehicles taking on the SS badges, is the Z28 name gone for good?
BobLutz:
No names are ever gone for good, seemingly.

logan1080:
For people like me who will be purchasing a Camaro, would you recommend holding off a year if we want a Camaro with more performance?
BobLutz:
I thought as you did until i drove the 300-hp V6. A wonderfully balanced car with great handling and a superb sound. Buy at least one of those.

That`s all i got, no real straight answers but he never said no to anything, just might not see it in the next year or 2.

What does this mean? both the V8 and V6 are comming out early next year right?
Congoman775 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:09 PM   #6
logan1080

I am talking about waiting for the 2011 camaro.
Old 09-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #7
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
FI FTW!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:10 PM   #8
logan1080

I think he means that the 300 hp v6 has lots of power so dont wait the extra year, he is just tryin to make the v6 popular which is understandable
Old 09-16-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
OH, and great questions. I wish I could've known about it. Thanks for all the information!!!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 12:41 PM   #10
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Great questions, and it looked to me he answered them the best he could at this time. with GM a lot of things are up in the air right now. they need to take it slow and not make kneejerk decisions that may come back and bite them later.
Mr Lutz is a smart man, I trust he won't let us down when it comes to the performance/economy compromise.

I take the comment about the CTS-V and ZR-1 that they will be short lived models....
Old 09-16-2008, 01:03 PM   #11
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
"buy at least one of those"

+1, Mr. Lutz!!!
Old 09-16-2008, 01:10 PM   #12
odie23

Drives: Jeep
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman 08 View Post
Great questions, and it looked to me he answered them the best he could at this time. with GM a lot of things are up in the air right now. they need to take it slow and not make kneejerk decisions that may come back and bite them later.
Mr Lutz is a smart man, I trust he won't let us down when it comes to the performance/economy compromise.

I take the comment about the CTS-V and ZR-1 that they will be short lived models....
Good questions, and I agree Lutz is waaaay market savvy, sounds like a politician .
odie23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:11 PM   #13
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Well done!
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #14
lalometalik
killer bAnana

Drives: 1985 z28
open ended answers... i like this guy!

maybe a more direct question of a possible z28 return would have satisfied my impulsive curiosity! IMO

thanks for the post!

"Shut your noise tube, Taco Human!"
lalometalik is offline   Reply With Quote