Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 12-26-2012, 06:37 PM   #1
AWS-GTAW

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss M6
Tired of Clutch sticking. Upgrade. HELP!

Hi, Own stock 2010 Camaro ss 6 speed. From time to time the clutch would get stuck to on the engagement point and fry, This is when doing really minor launches at 2500 rpm to get jump out of the intersection ETC.

I am sick of tired of this happening and have been to the dealer a few times . What upgrades would completely solve and cure this problem? At the same time I wouldn't mine buying parts that can handle more power in case I get a mod bug in the future.
AWS-GTAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #2
Joe@CPR.com
Account Suspended

Drives: 03 vette, 94 trans am, 04 gto
first check your clutch fluid, is it black? if so change it out (search ranger method) if that doesn't help and without knowing your mods/mileage your slave might be going. if you want to give us a call at the shop i would gladly go over our recommendations to help cure this issue

480-359-5914
Joe@CPR.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:08 PM   #3
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
The clutch fluid system in our cars are horrible, they share the fluid with the brake fluid, so if you have a bunch of miles, or drive the car hard, then your crud brake fluid goes to your clutch and makes it suck in many ways.

The best remedy in my opinion would be to separate the clutch fluid with a new clutch reservoir, then flush the clutch several times to get the crud fluid out. If your pedal also gets stuck down (another somewhat common problem with our cars), then you could also get a clutch return spring. These two will most likely fix your problems, for under $150.
You probably don't need the return spring, as that is mostly needed on cars that are often raced or driven pretty hard, but the separate reservoir is a must IMO.

We had a customer with a supercharged 2010 Camaro who was almost ready to replace his clutch due to several problems, but he bought our clutch reservoir kit first, and it literally fixed his problems.

Feel free to call, email, or PM us anytime for more information!
Thanks,
- Jeremy
Attached Images

JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
stratman2SSRS

Drives: Lingenfelter Camaro
The Lingenfelter clutch return spring works great!!!
I know it's a bandaid, and not fixing the cause of the problem, but it works 100%!
And it's cheap compared to replacing the clutch.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #5
quincy speeder

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
The cause is the clutch slipping. Replace that with a good clutch and it won't happen any more.

2008 C6, 427ci,YSI,mcleod clutch,Alky control, built tranny, custom fuel system. 985rwhp, best 1/4 -9.4 at 152mph. still trying to get the shifting down:(
quincy speeder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:35 AM   #6
JDP Tech

Drives: 2010 CGM Camaro 2SS/RS 429 LSX/F1X
That's what our customer with the supercharged Camaro thought too, still has the factory clutch several thousand miles later, and works like a charm! Of course the separate reservoir will not fix an actual slipping clutch, or some other non-hydraulic issues, but it does fix a handful of other problems.

- Jeremy
JDP Tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #7
AWS-GTAW

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2ss M6
Thank you for the replies! My car only has 19,000 miles. And I hardly drive the car hard at all. Is there a link to were I can look to purchase this resivor. And Clutch return spring? Also any good clutch recommendations? Are ls7 clutches any good?
AWS-GTAW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:41 AM   #8
Bo White

Drives: 2015 Summit White 2SS 1LE
Definately put a remote rezzy on it. Its stupid for GM to combine the clutch and brake like that knowing the clutch fluid gets contaminated all the time. I keep mine flushed out every oil change(the G8 has a remote rezzy stock) and it makes a difference. The main thing that happens is there is a self adjuster built into the pressure plate to compensate for disc wear and once it gets some miles on it it can lock up(according to a holden engineer). Another thing Ive learned to do is not hold the clutch to the floor and come straight off the floor especially when Im at the track more so to sit with the pedal just before the grab spot and then come off.
The main problem is the pressure plate and secondary problem is the hydrolics. If you want to remedy the problem completely replace the clutch with something like a Monster or SPEC and get a remore rezzy and consider it fixed.
2010 1SS Wilkes Performance/Eagle 416 shortblock, TSP custom valvetrain, PRC 260 heads, Edelbrock Pro Flo 102, th400 swap, 8" PTC 5500 stall= 535/435 at the wheels tuned Gen 3 Performance and Dyno 10.97 @ 124 full weight in 3100 DA CamaroFest X
Bo White is offline   Reply With Quote