Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 09-28-2008, 02:48 PM   #1
MustangKillr

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Sound check

Alright I wanted to know a few things that would up my 2002 Z28's sound. Outside of getting a completely new, and much bigger, exhaust what are some parts I can throw on to make it sound a lot louder and a lot more agressive? I don't want it to have that ricey sound obviously, I want it to have that thick, menacing muscle car sound. I realize that this is probably going to be an expensive endeavor, but if it all possible focus on affordable parts. Thanks.
MustangKillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #2
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
Full exhaust with tuned headers will give you best results and quite a bit of a HP boost too.
If you have the money get a cam and you'll have a nice, aggressive lope to it.
Or, if you just want it loud just cut your muffler off at the rear axle and put a downpipe on.
The sound will be louder and it'll resonate off the ground below. It doesn't exactly sound "good" but it's sure loud and it can be done for free. or you can run straight pipes.

Oh, and a full intake can make the sound a bit deeper too, but that gets expensive.
I concur. Do get a name brand catback exhaust. Make sure to compare brands and sounds. DC Sports will sound substantially different than Magnaflow. You'll want something like Borla or Flowmaster. Those have a really tough sound. Tuned headers are always great. Once again, find a good brand. Finish up with a cold-air intake unless you plan to implement forced induction later. If you plan on FI, make sure you're pipes are large enough and that you do lots of research.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 05:12 PM   #3
MustangKillr

That's actually what I was thinking. I've been looking at a bunch of SLP stuff, and I was seriously considering the 4" Powerflo exhaust, which should be insanely loud. The only thing is that's going to run me around $1,200 to $1,500, which is quite a lot for my budget. What about a high performance MAF? Or, what about a Blackwing Cool Air Intake?
Old 09-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #4
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
Dont worry about a MAF, either a K&N FIPK2 (which I have and love) or your standard aftermarket lid w/a K&N filter and possibly a FTRA will get you more power. I have Pacesetter headers, off-road Y and a Dynomax bullet muffler dumped before the rear axle and it sounds great! Its not raspy like a Loudmouth and has a great tone. Check out ls1sounds.com to listen to different exhausts in action.
Old 09-29-2008, 10:34 PM   #5
MustangKillr

Hm, alright, just for temporary purposes I was thinking about ripping off my muffler and my tips, which should make it sound like a beast until I get the money to put straight pipes on it. The only concerns I have are: will this be legal and what about the fumes? Concerning the legality, I know that I have to have a cat on my car, but I'm not too sure about the muffler and the tips, I wouldn't think it would be a big deal unless it's a noise problem. And, are the fumes anything to worry about? Because with the muffler being missing the fumes are coming out directly under my car, and I've been getting a bad rap from the fact that I could die of asfixiation and what not , so will this really be a concern?
Old 09-29-2008, 11:31 PM   #6
Chocolate Apocalypse
Full Fledged Member

Drives: '18 1SS 1LE
lol, as long as you dont turn your car on in the garage with the door closed then fall asleep in the drivers seat with the windows down....you should be fine.
Old 09-30-2008, 11:08 PM   #7
MustangKillr

Alright, would the Flowmaster Super 44 3.00" Muffler be a good thing to throw onto it? If so, what else should I throw onto it? Because, it's looking like the Super 44 is going to run me less than $100 which is a really good thing... *Sigh* So many parts to choose from... What would you guys recommend? Because, I'm getting mixed signals about Flowmaster here, some of my friends are saying that that's a good bet, and other's are telling me something else. I know I'm definately getting a K&N Air Filter, because they're like the leading name-brand stuff to get, but exhausts are a bit more iffy.

Last edited by MustangKillr; 09-30-2008 at 11:21 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:55 PM   #8
MustangKillr

Wow, I took my Muffler off, and let me just say... Wow... It sounds like a true muscle car, it's loud as hell.
Old 10-08-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
dvnt88
Kickin' Assphalt

Drives: 1997 Z-28 30th Anniversary Ed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangKillr View Post
Alright I wanted to know a few things that would up my 2002 Z28's sound. Outside of getting a completely new, and much bigger, exhaust what are some parts I can throw on to make it sound a lot louder and a lot more agressive? I don't want it to have that ricey sound obviously, I want it to have that thick, menacing muscle car sound. I realize that this is probably going to be an expensive endeavor, but if it all possible focus on affordable parts. Thanks.
I did a full Magnaflow 3" exhaust with the high-flow cat replacements and tubes and it sounds like a BB 427. Check out Magnaflows site and they have vids and sound clips of the exhaust installed on a current 4th Gen. ")

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=all&id=5513