Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 10-28-2012, 10:11 PM   #85
tramtwo

Drives: 2021 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wyndham View Post
Don't forget the much more aggressive gearing.
And the added down-force!!
tramtwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #86
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrystalRedTintcoat View Post
I went to a Giants game / poker party last night. The host and his son race cars. In fact the son has a business doing track coaching for people like us that want to go out for track day. He's been racing for 20 yeas and helps teach noobs how to get the most of their track days ... find the line, brake, accelerate, etc. He knew about the 1LE and got excited when I mentioned it him. Said I should call him.

His immediate comment / feedback about the 1LE?

"If you can drop-ship tires to the factory, do it! Don't get those run flats! Get AAA instead."

I asked him what tire he recommends.

"Nitto N01s."

He then took me out in his vette with Hawks (brakes) and Nitto N01s on all four corners and he proceeded to scare the bejesus out of me going 60MPH in those freeway to freeway cloverleafs. And the tires were cold and just starting to warm up. They only increased 2psi in our "test run". You could smell the rubber, they didn't squeal and didn't break loose. It was absolutely insane. This was a 2000 C5 Corvette which was stock other than the brakes and tires.

His comment about the 1LE with the Eagle F1s was, "You'll never get over 45 in those corners with run flats."

Would love everyones' thoughts on this.
Keep a few things in mind. Your 1LE weighs close to 4000 lbs and you want to put a nitto tirw with a wear of 100? Probably will last u one day at the track, a few months on the street, if you are conservative. Also, good luck with any rain on those, seriously. The stock tires are bad in the wet, the nittos are suicidal.

Dont get me wrong, they will most likely give you more grip and might be a great tire if you dont drive the car a lot. But the gain you get in performance over stock is not day and night over the supercar tire. The only way to really know though is to try both.... I probably will get three/four different tires just because of budget reasons for the track and go from there.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:38 PM   #87
CrystalRedTintcoat

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE NPP GBE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tramtwo View Post
And the added down-force!!
  • close-ratio TR6060-MM6 six-speed stick
  • final-drive ratio of 3.91:1.
  • The transmission also gets a cooling system, like on the ZL1.
  • The V-8's output is unchanged from that of manual SS models, at 426 hp and 420 lb-ft of torque.

Suspension modifications include
  • a larger, 27-mm front anti-roll bar,
  • a 28-mm rear anti-roll bar,
  • ZL1 toe links,
  • ZL1 rear shock mounts,
  • strut-tower brace.
  • Beefier half-shafts are supposed to help cope with the improved traction
  • wheel bearings come from the ZL1
  • the fuel system has been upgraded with the ZL1’s high-capacity fuel pump and additional fuel pickups to avoid high-g fuel starvation.
  • 20x10 front and 20x11 rear wheels are inspired by the ZL1’s rims
  • 285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle F1 SuperCar G: 2 tires at all four corner
  • specifically tuned monotube dampers in place of the Camaro SS’s standard twin-tube unit
CrystalRedTintcoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #88
MarkSS

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUKXOST View Post
Hey OP.....lil more time with the car now.....any new impressions on things?
MyLink thoughts
Interior fit/finish vs your old 2010
Still feel as though the ride is daily drive comfortable enough in the long term?
Is key built into keyfob or separate from it?
Hear any squeaks or rattles or knocking at all?
Have plans to weigh the car anywhere? data plate say about 3870?
Notice anything new handling wise that you didn't previously?
etc

Any more pics for the 1LE pic thread for those of us eager for more? LOL
Ok... I now have over 270 miles on the car. Have I mentioned that it had 18 when it came off the truck? Someone in Oshawa must have checked it out. Here's a few more impressions. I like the dash better than in the 2010, especially the look on the passenger side. Mylink integrates into the dash better that I thought it would when I first saw pictures of it. My wife likes a second power seat.

Definitely doable as a daily driver as far as ride is concerned. My dad drove it tonight and commented how much better the ride was than his 2007 Z06 as well. It is firm, but not harsh... don't know how else to put it.

I am generally a "simpler is better" guy when it comes to radio controls, less time with your eyes off the road. So I am still adjusting to the controls on Mylink. The full color screen is cool though.

Absolutely no squeaks or rattles.

One thing I hate: Hill Start Assist. I have been driving manual trans cars since I had a permit and don't need the help. Plus, when I want to let it roll down my driveway in neutral backing out of the garage, it hits the brakes and holds the car in place until I put it in reverse again. Also, I have smelled the clutch a couple times when it has engaged, which I never smelled in three years with my 2010. I wish it could be permanently disabled. To me, this is the worst feature of the car.

Handling is amazingly neutral and very confidence inspiring. For most every street situation, it's capabilities are far beyond what you can or should do. It makes the car drive "smaller" than my 2010. It is hard to believe that a few changes can make so much difference. I believe the 1g claim and I haven't driven it when it was above 55 degrees out.

I will comment on the previous tire discussion that has broken out. I have never had a set of Goodyears I liked... until now. They are quiet, have progressive break away, and lots of stick (when warmed up... as I said before and ZL1 guys have confirmed, they have NO stick when they are cold.) They are not run-flat tires, as was suggested above. One other handling comment: it feels as if it has a significantly quicker steering ratio... if you turn the wheel AT ALL, it turns. I don't know how much of this is due to the electric assist, alignment, or what, but if you think about turning the wheel, the car turns.

I am planning to go get my splitter installed on Tuesday and do the brake burnishing procedure on the way there (as long as there is not too much traffic on my favorite back road).

I know it won't be long and we will get to here from many more of you and see other colors as well. I can't wait!
MarkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2012, 11:51 PM   #89
tramtwo

Thanks, love having an extended Camaro family. I think we should make you the captian of TEAM 1LE!!
Old 10-29-2012, 06:47 AM   #90
ST1LE

Drives: E92 BMW M3
Yeah thanks a lot for taking time to give all these reviews and impressions. I know for most of us, it is all we have to get us to the day that our 1LE's finally arrive. Glad you are loving your car, 18 miles when it came off the truck is a bit weird but whatever. Also really glad to hear your review on the ride comfort, that was a concern of mine.
ST1LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:09 AM   #91
the_fast_one

Drives: 2017 red hot zl1
Thanks for the updates. You have pretty much reaffirmed that my switching from the vette to the 1le is the right decision. Looks like the camaro 1le negates all the little things I did not like about the camaro vs my vette.
the_fast_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:28 AM   #92
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Mark, are those the standard brakes? I wasn't aware that they came in red. Are they still the same as the standard SS? 4 piston Brembos front and rear? Or are they the ZL1 6 piston front 4 piston rear? I read someone say that the 1LE gets that set up but everything else I've seen shows the same brakes as the SS.

The red has me wondering what is actually there. It's hard to tell from the pics.
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 08:54 AM   #93
tramtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
Mark, are those the standard brakes? I wasn't aware that they came in red. Are they still the same as the standard SS? 4 piston Brembos front and rear? Or are they the ZL1 6 piston front 4 piston rear? I read someone say that the 1LE gets that set up but everything else I've seen shows the same brakes as the SS.

The red has me wondering what is actually there. It's hard to tell from the pics.
These are the SS brakes but in red.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #94
Firefighter

Quote:
These are the SS brakes but in red.

So the standard calipers for the 1LE are Red? Or do they need to be ordered that way? I prefer black.
Old 10-29-2012, 09:39 AM   #95
tramtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefighter View Post
So the standard calipers for the 1LE are Red? Or do they need to be ordered that way? I prefer black.
They come in red... sure you could find someone who would trade ya.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:01 AM   #96
MarkSS

Drives: 2014 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mgizzle View Post
Its folded over for better protection against peal. Looks alright.

By the way, did u get wheel locks? I posted a thread under wheels and tires on the gm locks they are putting on my car when it comes in. Curious what you got.
It does not come with wheel locks, but its probably not a bad idea to put them on.... a lot of people might like those wheels.
MarkSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 AM   #97
Firefighter

Quote:
They come in red... sure you could find someone who would trade ya.

Thanks for the info man. I already have a plan now that I've read your post.

Order the 1LE get them to upgrade the front brakes to ZL1 and swap out the rears work it into the loan. Put the stock calipers in the trunk with the front rotors and sell all that here. Make my first payment with the money from the stock brakes.
Old 10-29-2012, 10:35 AM   #98
tramtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSS View Post
It does not come with wheel locks, but its probably not a bad idea to put them on.... a lot of people might like those wheels.
Really?! Man that is hard to believe. I was sure I saw locks on the ZL1s with these wheels?

Gorilla Wheel Lock System Added to the mods list...