Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Closed Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 06:53 AM   #85
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN-IV View Post
GM is doing what they are supposed to do. They contained the suspect vehicles and repaired them and instituted a production fix. If they have data suggesting the problem is more widespread then they should notify the owners, I see no point in having GM fix my car if it isn't broken. I really don't want the dealer causing more problems if none exist.
That is why it should be a voluntary recall which you would not have to partake in. If you are concerned, go get it checked. If not, just wait until it breaks. There is a way to make everyone happy in this.. If it's only up to the 23,000 VIN range, and only 5%-10% are affected, then it wouldn't hurt GM to make those few of us concerned happy by giving us peace of mind that ours won't fail.

Last edited by Supermans; 11-29-2009 at 07:05 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 07:05 AM   #86
GEN-IV
Right Cam

Drives: 2010 LS3 / 79 Z28
My SS is a daily driver, just turned 3600 miles and got a fresh set of snow tires for winter, I have no concern about this issue. It's a car, stuff breaks, they all have problems. Challengers with remote start don't start, etc.

I would support a compromise. Bring your car to the dealer and have the output shaft replaced. The dealer will send it back to GM and have it analyzed. If it is defective, the costs are covered under warranty, otherwise the customer pays for the unneccesary repair.

Forcing GM to "fix" and pay for cars that are not defective is not reasonable. Is there any data showing that this is still a widespread failure? GM monitors IPTV continuously, they must be confident that they contained the problem.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #87
Supermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEN-IV View Post
My SS is a daily driver, just turned 3600 miles and got a fresh set of snow tires for winter, I have no concern about this issue. It's a car, stuff breaks, they all have problems. Challengers with remote start don't start, etc.

I would support a compromise. Bring your car to the dealer and have the output shaft replaced. The dealer will send it back to GM and have it analyzed. If it is defective, the costs are covered under warranty, otherwise the customer pays for the unneccesary repair.

Forcing GM to "fix" and pay for cars that are not defective is not reasonable. Is there any data showing that this is still a widespread failure? GM monitors IPTV continuously, they must be confident that they contained the problem.
WOW, now what you are suggesting and supporting is quite unreasonable. So if GM has a way of testing the shafts which they probably don't. You seem to want to punish us for some reason for taking it in and having the shaft replaced at our expense if the part after testing comes out normal. Please listen to yourself here and think about what you are saying. A pretty large number of shafts have already broken, it isn't a small number of defective parts we are obviously dealing with. As far as we know, there is no way to test the strength of the part once it is removed or if such a testing machine exists. I would imagine the makers of the shaft do not test the strength before selling them since this would have been caught early otherwise. It may be less expensive to simply recycle all the shafts metal since I assume the company making the shafts have fixed their defective machine by now. Overall it would be wise for GM to consider this a safety issue and get affected VIN ranges replaced or strengthened so this issue doesn't happen after the warranty's expire. Or as some have suggested to extend the warranty range. I'm quite sure you wouldn't disagree with that one unless you're a real hard head.

It seems as though you disagree that this is a safety issue as well as some others do. And you probably disagree that this thread should even exist. You seem to want to de-rail this thread with your comments by taking the conversation away from where it should be, especially your last post. So now that we know your position on this issue is and you've made your point, if you feel you want to keep on trying to stop or silence our efforts here, then move on as GTHAVIT said in an earlier thread. If not, please respect all of us here who are concerned about this issue and want to see a resolution that would make all of us proud to be GM supporters and early adopters. We shouldn't be punished for being an early adopter no more than we shouldn't be punished for a defective part that isn't as isolated as we would all want it to be. I would not be worried if this wasn't a widespread issue here..
Old 11-29-2009, 09:35 AM   #88
RPO F55

Drives: 2005 C6 Corvette
If anyone here should listen to themselves think, you would be a prime candidate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
Please listen to yourself here and think about what you are saying. A pretty large number of shafts have already broken, it isn't a small number of defective parts we are obviously dealing with. ]
Where is your proof for this statement? Large number of shafts? How many? Where? You are throwing around accusations with zero basis in proof or facts.

Quote:
[It seems as though you disagree that this is a safety issue as well as some others do.....[/B]
Again, another baseless accusation by you. Name one incidence of this failure resulting in someone getting injured, killed, whatever. I will save you the time, has not happened so far.

Quote:
[We shouldn't be punished for being an early adopter no more than we shouldn't be punished for a defective part that isn't as isolated as we would all want it to be. I would not be worried if this wasn't a widespread issue here..[/B]
Again, based on what? Your own paranoia? Has your car failed or even exhibited any symptoms of a problem?

You certainly have the right to express your opinion, but you seem to fail to understand that others have the right to judge you for it. This is silly paranoia running rampant here. Just enjoy your car and quit losing sleep over a widespread issue in your own mind.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:51 AM   #89
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
It is annoying to read posts from people who are just now learning about this issue or don't have a complete knowledge about it or just got their Camaro (which makes it obvious of your ignorance of this issue if you are posting in this thread) or have an automatic or V6 or just joined yesterday!
Owners were not notified. Affected VIN range is not solid, no one knows! GM mildly dealt with it back in June-July and quarantined some cars prior to shipment to check for this issue but not one of the delivered cars were recalled. Obviously, if cars were quarantined, cars that were built before those cars were affected but like I said, none was recalled for a fix. You are pretty much on your own to find out and those of you who says " what is the big deal, if it breaks, take it to the dealer"...well, let's hope it doesn't happen to you while you have your loved ones in the car and trying to pull out of a high traffic intersection. Imagine that and you just might change your tone. My car is in the 26k range but this is still a major concern to me.
Old 11-29-2009, 10:54 AM   #90
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
I, for one, am patiently awaiting word from GM. I have faith that they have heard from us and we'll see something soon. Yes, mine already broke and has been replaced. I just don't want others to have to deal with it like I did.

To those saying this isn't an issue; GM thinks (or at least thought) otherwise.

There's been at least 16 people on this board that have had theirs snap. Who knows how many more from this board have had it happen and haven't posted? Or how many people who don't post on here at all that've had it happen?
Old 11-29-2009, 11:37 AM   #91
Partick

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I'm in the 25k range and in all honesty am not overly concerned about the potential for failure. Catastrphic failure can happen to good parts depending on how they are treated and I think the fear of it breaking under normal driving conditions and endangering lives is a little overblown. If mine breaks I'm confident GM will fix it.

That said all of this could be avoided if GM would just come clean on how many cars might have the bad shafts and offer a replacement if so desired. The plan to call those affected (if they actually did) leaves a whole bunch of people who didn't get a call wondering. If it is indeed limited to 25,000 vins and half are manuals it would cheaper in the long run to offer a voluntary replacement and retain brand loyalty and reputation and avoid a public relations black eye. jmo
Old 11-29-2009, 12:23 PM   #92
LS 1st gen
Kept the Faith.

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS
Send a message via AIM to LS 1st gen
This issue has NOT been beaten to death...to the contrary, we were promised to be informed about the effected vehicles and while shafts have continuted to snap, no word from GM or Tremec. Those of you saying that this is'nt the proper venue to voice our concerns....well what would be? This is a Camaro forum...do you want it to be useful or just a place to talk about nonsense offtopic issues and what CAI is best etc.

PLEASE STICKY THIS THREAD.

VIN - 13694
Old 11-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #93
Supermans

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
It is annoying to read posts from people who are just now learning about this issue or don't have a complete knowledge about it or just got their Camaro (which makes it obvious of your ignorance of this issue if you are posting in this thread) or have an automatic or V6 or just joined yesterday!
Owners were not notified. Affected VIN range is not solid, no one knows! GM mildly dealt with it back in June-July and quarantined some cars prior to shipment to check for this issue but not one of the delivered cars were recalled. Obviously, if cars were quarantined, cars that were built before those cars were affected but like I said, none was recalled for a fix. You are pretty much on your own to find out and those of you who says " what is the big deal, if it breaks, take it to the dealer"...well, let's hope it doesn't happen to you while you have your loved ones in the car and trying to pull out of a high traffic intersection. Imagine that and you just might change your tone. My car is in the 26k range but this is still a major concern to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS 1st gen View Post
This issue has NOT been beaten to death...to the contrary, we were promised to be informed about the effected vehicles and while shafts have continuted to snap, no word from GM or Tremec. Those of you saying that this is'nt the proper venue to voice our concerns....well what would be? This is a Camaro forum...do you want it to be useful or just a place to talk about nonsense offtopic issues and what CAI is best etc.

PLEASE STICKY THIS THREAD.

VIN - 13694
A voice of reason. Thank you
Old 11-29-2009, 02:16 PM   #94
Hoss

Drives: 2004GMC Extended Cab
Although my output shaft didn't break my friends aprox 17,000 vin# SS Camaro did blow up with a sound of a shotgun going off. It was when the transmission shaft broke under a acceleration load. He lost the use of the Camaro for 6 days Saturday thru the next Thursday.

I was glad to help him but I understand the Chevy knows which vin number cars are the problems. I understand Chevy was going to contact the owner of the Camaro involved in the shaft breaking.We spent lots of time getting the car to the dealer he brought it from. The tow truck was paid for by the dealer and the final $3700 aprox to repair was covered by the warranty. My friend didn't do anything wrong to cause this.........but he felt the dealer might think it was his fault. My buddy was inconvenced for 6 days with no paid transportation from GM. If GM wants to handle this in less than a responsible way.....they need to pay all expenses in transportation for loss of use of the auto while being repaired.

I am concerned about my vin # and don't want to go through the anguish and loss of use of my Camaro for the near week it takes to replace the transmission.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:21 PM   #95
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoss View Post
My buddy was inconvenced for 6 days with no paid transportation from GM. If GM wants to handle this in less than a responsible way.....they need to pay all expenses in transportation for loss of use of the auto while being repaired.
They are supposed to provide a loaner or a rental car. GM has an agreement with Enterprise. I had the pleasure of driving a bitchin base model Aveo (no power windows/locks!) while my transmission was getting replaced. Did your buddy request transportation?
Old 11-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #96
3 SS's

Drives: Chevelle SS's
It truly amazes me that so many people that aren't concerned about their output shafts......are concerned, about people voicing their concerns.
Old 11-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #97
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Without trying to "silence the effort," I want to avoid complaining to GM about something that they are probably working on solving. This thread exploded over Thanksgiving weekend. Shouldn't we be thankful that we bought a car from a company that came back to life this year after a tough run? Shouldn't we be letting them spend the weekend with their families? Give GM a little time. In the meantime, drive carefully so that GM can work out a solution. I'm sure that they're as concerned as we all are. After all, they bought Camaros, too.
warn 145:159 ban
Old 11-29-2009, 03:54 PM   #98
camaro5

Drives: X-15 Velocipede
Quote:

June 29, 2009

As part of its government-backed restructuring plan, GM wants to sell the bulk of its assets to a new company and

leave behind unprofitable assets and other liabilities such as product-related lawsuits.

A hearing on the proposed sale is scheduled for Tuesday.

But in a concession to consumer groups and state officials who had threatened to block the sale because of product liability concerns, the new company

will now assume responsibility for future claims involving vehicles made by the old company,

according to documents filed in federal bankruptcy court in New York on Friday.
http://moneynews.newsmax.com/compani...29/229724.html

These guys were going to dump all responsibilty for all previous injury and death caused by their defective vehicles. (allegedly)

Only after massive pressure did they accept their basic responsibilities.

Forced to take basic responsibility for their products.

They're not nice, and chances are, their silence is mandated by their legal department.

Last edited by camaro5; 11-29-2009 at 05:16 PM. Reason: typo

Closed Thread