Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 06-13-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
Pace Setter Headers...What do you think?

I am looking to purchase some long tubes for my L99 but dont have a ton of cash to spend. Has anyone purchased the Pace Setter long tubes and if so, what do you think of the quality, performance and sound?
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 03:54 PM   #2
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icntdrv55 View Post
I am looking to purchase some long tubes for my L99 but dont have a ton of cash to spend. Has anyone purchased the Pace Setter long tubes and if so, what do you think of the quality, performance and sound?
I am sure they will get the job done at least for a while, they will rust and they will probably crack due to EGT with Cats.

It just doesn't seem right to put a cheap set of Mild steel headers on a 35-40k car.

304 Stainless is the Minimum I would Recommend.

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
Icntdrv55
CCOTR Member

Drives: Victory Red 2010 2SS/RS A6
Thanks Ted I certainly value your opinion. You have been great on this site. What headers would you recommend in the mid price range?

BTW....what is EGT?
2010 Camaro SS/RS Victory Red A6- Vararam Intake, Doug Thorley Tri Y LTs, Magnaflow X-pipe, Flowmaster Super 40's, VMS Tune, Razzi Ground Effects, Herritage Grill, RED headlight and fog light Halos, LED DRLs, Dash and extended Door ABL, engine, grill and rear defusser LED lighting ........ 12.59@112.21 (DA Corrected)
Icntdrv55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:13 PM   #4
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icntdrv55 View Post
Thanks Ted I certainly value your opinion. You have been great on this site. What headers would you recommend in the mid price range?

BTW....what is EGT?
I really like the Dynatechs, ARH, and Stainless works.

Exhaust Gas Temp.

Mild steel starts to get overheated at 1050, and these cars see that temp daily.

Stainless is good to 1600 this leave room so as not to over heat the metal.

Good Read http://www.burnsstainless.com/stainlesssteel.aspx

Ted.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:59 PM   #5
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
Checkout the tsp headers. They're stainless and have a connection pipe option to run with stock h pipe. Later on you can upgrade to the tsp x pipe and muffler system! Checkout www.Texas-speed.com for info!
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
Josh @ Spartan LSX

Drives: A wrench
Pacesetters work just fine. I think the internet hypes up these $1500-1800 headers a little too much sometimes. I've installed 4 sets of Pacesetters on the 2010's so far with great results, and they fit just as good as the AR headers I install. Go for it if you're on a budget.
Josh @ Spartan LSX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:16 AM   #7
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damian View Post
Pacesetters work just fine. I think the internet hypes up these $1500-1800 headers a little too much sometimes. I've installed 4 sets of Pacesetters on the 2010's so far with great results, and they fit just as good as the AR headers I install. Go for it if you're on a budget.
It is not a question of will they work or if they will fit but how long they will last and what they will look like in 6 months.

Who wants Rusty Headers on a 35-40k car.

We don't put Sneakers on with a Tux.

It is not a question of If they will Crack but when, once they are cracked you throw away 500 bucks and buy a real set of Headers that will last as long as the car.

If it was a 3K 10 year old car I could understand using Mild Steel.

And you can get in to a real good set of Stainless Headers with cats for 1299.00, no need to spend 15-1800

Ted.
Old 06-14-2010, 08:22 AM   #8
2010SLVRBULIT

Drives: G5(LLT) & C6(LS3)
Pace Setters in general, thought about their exhaust systems too, but not that popular yet?
2010SLVRBULIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #9
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
I agree that the stainless headers are a better option. We offer TSP headers with cat connection pipes for under $1000! That being said if your on a real tight budget the Pacesetter headers will get the job done. They sell for $600 with cats!!

We sell HUGE AMOUNTS of Pacesetters with very few failures. The ceramic coating will ultimately discolor a little bit, but keep in mind any coated header will discolor as it heats up.
Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:47 AM   #10
agkelly73

Drives: 2016 SS Convertible
I was always wondering why Pacesetters were so inexpensive, now I know. Thanks Ted.
agkelly73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:08 AM   #11
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by agkelly73 View Post
I was always wondering why Pacesetters were so inexpensive, now I know. Thanks Ted.
They Should Be 150.00
Old 06-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #12
JS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Hmmmm, In a far galaxy long ago there were HOOKER, STAHL, DOUGS and they were plain old steel headers....Cars back then made KILLER POWA but yes to a degree they did rust and fail over time...In the end the masses called out for a SS headers and they became aval at a reasonable price..

But those plain ole steel headers still work very well...
We've made 635RW threw those so called CHEAP HEADERS

Order them in painted and have a good 1600 Ceramic coating done to them instead of the 1200 Ceramic coating and they will stay just perfect for years to come...

In the end u might have $750.00 total with 1600 coating and cats..
That can be a big savings for a guy on a budget...

JMHO
Magnaflow Magnapack Axleback & Resonated X-Pipe/OBX LT Headers/Airaid Cold Air Kit/Injection Connection Tuned
JS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 06:31 AM   #13
MiSTER

Drives: 2010 2SS CGM Camaro, 1988 6.6L IROC
No disrespect to Ted because he does great work but regarding header material, I'd kind of have to agree with JS. People have ran mild steel headers on performance cars for years before stainless steel headers became more available.

When I first got my Third gen, I ran Hooker mild steel shorty headers painted with VHT with cats on my 350 and 383 TPI motor and they never cracked. Friends that ran the same setup didn't experience cracking either. I'm not saying they'll never crack, we just never experienced them. Eventually I went with SLP stainless shorties because they were the only ones available in 1-3/4". With my 406 I eventually went to the Dyno Don headers when they came out because not only were they 1-3/4" but also had 2-1/2" collectors and y-pipe vs SLP with 2-1/4" collectors and y-pipe. SLP stopped making thair stainless headers for Third Gens and Dyno Don's are the only large tube choice available. Alot of Camaros here in CA that I know of running them for the past few years with them catted with no issues of cracks because of heat. Maybe I could wrong and that there are people that have cracked Dyno Don's headers because of heat but I just never heard of anyone personally.

In a perfect world, everyone should get stainless headers. But these days, a $500-$750 luxury is a more realistic goal versus $1200-$1600. Looks like the Pace Setters are available for $486 with their ceramic coat and 3 year warranty:

http://www.maperformance.com/paceset...-70-2257m.html

For someone looking for a little more performance and on a budget, that actually looks like a good deal.

Just my 2 cent, take it for what it's worth...
MiSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 07:56 AM   #14
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSTER View Post
No disrespect to Ted because he does great work but regarding header material, I'd kind of have to agree with JS. People have ran mild steel headers on performance cars for years before stainless steel headers became more available.

When I first got my Third gen, I ran Hooker mild steel shorty headers painted with VHT with cats on my 350 and 383 TPI motor and they never cracked. Friends that ran the same setup didn't experience cracking either. I'm not saying they'll never crack, we just never experienced them. Eventually I went with SLP stainless shorties because they were the only ones available in 1-3/4". With my 406 I eventually went to the Dyno Don headers when they came out because not only were they 1-3/4" but also had 2-1/2" collectors and y-pipe vs SLP with 2-1/4" collectors and y-pipe. SLP stopped making thair stainless headers for Third Gens and Dyno Don's are the only large tube choice available. Alot of Camaros here in CA that I know of running them for the past few years with them catted with no issues of cracks because of heat. Maybe I could wrong and that there are people that have cracked Dyno Don's headers because of heat but I just never heard of anyone personally.

In a perfect world, everyone should get stainless headers. But these days, a $500-$750 luxury is a more realistic goal versus $1200-$1600. Looks like the Pace Setters are available for $486 with their ceramic coat and 3 year warranty:

http://www.maperformance.com/paceset...-70-2257m.html

For someone looking for a little more performance and on a budget, that actually looks like a good deal.

Just my 2 cent, take it for what it's worth...
No Disrespect Taken.

I tend to recommend what I would install on my own cars.

Being that I have been at this for 25 years Professionally and I have a crew of 9 people, there are a lot of vehicles that come through my shop, and I get to see first hand the long term results of using Mild Steel VS Stainless.

We remove Lots and Lots of Rusted and or Cracked Headers, Albet we do live in the northeast where they salt the roads in the winter, even if you don't drive your car in the winter the Salt Lingers.

Ted.

Last edited by JANNETTYRACING; 06-16-2010 at 02:12 PM.