Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-17-2011, 06:44 AM   #15
KARBON

Drives: 2010 CAMARO 850 RWHP/733 RWTQ
FYI, take the plugs out before installing headers....
KARBON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 07:28 AM   #16
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
Photo DIY thread

Super easy, 2.5 hours tops. I'm doing mine tomorrow morning.
Scratch what I said about 2.5 hours. I did my headers and full exhaust, took 6 hours. Mind you I only have jack stands and hand tools, that and I've never done headers before. But at the end of the day, I had a blast and I can say I did it myself.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:26 AM   #17
nancygrl
雪の玉

Drives: '22 Z71 RST Silverado
Installing headers is not a difficult job. I did mine in about 2 hrs. I followed the directions that came with my Kooks kit and had no problems with the install. After you install, just gotta remember to re-check the torque (18ft/lbs.) on the header bolts after several heat cycles.

As for some of the things that can go wrong. You might have an O2 sensor(s) that insists it does not want to come out. Be careful in regards to the spark plugs as mentioned in earlier posts. I only had 300 miles on my '11 SS when I installed them so I reused the factory gaskets. Just about everbody recommend using the gm exhaust gaskets, and they don't cost alot if you choose to get new ones, inexpensive insurance against having exhaust leaks at the gaskets.

My CEL light came on after about 150-200 miles. I even used the O2 spacers for the rear sensors, reset monitors and the CEL still would come on. You can drive without a tune, but it really runs/operates much better with a tune, and my avg. gas mileage is 23mpg. Good luck....
nancygrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 09:36 AM   #18
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancygrl View Post
Installing headers is not a difficult job. I did mine in about 2 hrs. I followed the directions that came with my Kooks kit and had no problems with the install. After you install, just gotta remember to re-check the torque (18ft/lbs.) on the header bolts after several heat cycles.

As for some of the things that can go wrong. You might have an O2 sensor(s) that insists it does not want to come out. Be careful in regards to the spark plugs as mentioned in earlier posts. I only had 300 miles on my '11 SS when I installed them so I reused the factory gaskets. Just about everbody recommend using the gm exhaust gaskets, and they don't cost alot if you choose to get new ones, inexpensive insurance against having exhaust leaks at the gaskets.

My CEL light came on after about 150-200 miles. I even used the O2 spacers for the rear sensors, reset monitors and the CEL still would come on. You can drive without a tune, but it really runs/operates much better with a tune, and my avg. gas mileage is 23mpg. Good luck....
Reuse the factory gaskets. The OEM ones are better than any aftermarket gasket. I'd pretty much guarantee that an aftermarket gasket would leak versus the OEM gaskets.
Old 08-17-2011, 11:03 AM   #19
BowlingSS
Camaro Owner Since 1987

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS L99 RJT
I just installed headers by myself and I did have problems removing the O2 sensors. I used the non-OEM gaskets. I hope thay do not leak. OK so far.

Good luck.

Bill
VMax Ported RJT Throttle Body
XSPower Headers and XSPower 3" Exhaust System
Elite Engineering Tunnel Brace,
Gorilla Wheel Lock System; Bear Rotors, Hawk HPS
Tinted Windows 35%;EFILive Tune
BowlingSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #20
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
Same - I installed my own Kooks Headers1 7/8" Hi-flow CATS, By myself...some rope to hold things up as you undo and fit!!...3 hours??
I did not take spark plugs out, just carefully maneuvered around them.
You will need a tune. My CEL light came on after a 100 miles
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:36 PM   #21
Anthony @ LG Motorsports

Drives: 1994 1LE / 2006 Z51 Corvette
Very easy to do on these cars compared to some of the others.

I have a good write up of the install of our own headers with pictures if you would like to see.

LG Motorsports Super Pro Exhaust Install Instructions.
Anthony @ LG Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 03:47 PM   #22
Josh@ARH

Drives: 2013 Corvette GS
The header install on these cars are very easy. Obviously a lift will be easier but it is definitely doable on your back. Our short system (long tube headers and short connection pipes) will bolt right in since you already have a catback on the car. Also a tune is not a necessity but you will more than likely throw a check engine light because of the high flow cats. However we recommend to get a tune to get the most out of our headers.
Josh@ARH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:24 PM   #23
doomsdayjesus081

Drives: VR 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Header installation is very easy if you plan ahead. Think logically, follow the directions and have the right tools, buy an O2 sensor socket, they run about $3.99 at O'reiley's. Get a small ratcheting box end 11mm wrench for disconnecting steering shaft. If you do anything with the factory hangers, use dawn water or some other degreaser prior to removal. The ARH long system was the first exhaust work I've done myself, it took about 6 hours to do on a lift.
doomsdayjesus081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #24
Bay Area SS

Drives: 2010 rs/2ss
I did my header install with no lift and hand tools. Pain in the ass. Very lil clearance. As far as a tune goes. Depends on what type of person you are. If your like me, which im pretty anal about my car you are going to want to tune it. Soon as headers gO on your prob Goin to throw a code which is annoying. Your cars timing is going to be off a bit it's going to pop and not run nearly as smooth and pull as hard as it should. I say tune for sure..
Bay Area SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:41 PM   #25
Robraytay

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS Cyber Grey Metallic
Silicone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bay Area SS View Post
I did my header install with no lift and hand tools. Pain in the ass. Very lil clearance. As far as a tune goes. Depends on what type of person you are. If your like me, which im pretty anal about my car you are going to want to tune it. Soon as headers gO on your prob Goin to throw a code which is annoying. Your cars timing is going to be off a bit it's going to pop and not run nearly as smooth and pull as hard as it should. I say tune for sure..

Did you silicone your head gasket when you put the LTHs on?
Robraytay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:44 PM   #26
diamondmike

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudGM View Post
Me and a buddy installed the TSP 1 7/8 in an hour and a half on jackstands. Easiest header install ive ever done on any car or truck.
x2

7.83 @ 172 and 1.15 60ft 5th gen
4.93@143
diamondmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 07:29 AM   #27
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
very straightforward install. I used autozone ramps and it took me and a buddy 5 hours with breaks to do the install. Not sure how everyone else is flying through these installs but, this was my first time doing something like this so I went slow and meticulous. I don't have a very inclusive toolset either so a lot of my sockets and things like that had a hard time reaching or staying on the bolts I was trying to loosen/tighten.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:54 PM   #28
Oxtar41

Drives: 700 rwhp 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infern0 View Post
very straightforward install. I used autozone ramps and it took me and a buddy 5 hours with breaks to do the install. Not sure how everyone else is flying through these installs but, this was my first time doing something like this so I went slow and meticulous. I don't have a very inclusive toolset either so a lot of my sockets and things like that had a hard time reaching or staying on the bolts I was trying to loosen/tighten.

Air ratchet, swivel sockets and a lift. did mine in about an hour.