Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 08-25-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
skinman

Drives: Convertible Camaro
The Borla S-Type sounds FAAANTASTIC on my car. It's hard to decide from listening to YouTube videos, because as good as it sounds on your phone/laptop, exhaust systems sound 100 times better live. Just my 2 cents.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:58 PM   #16
Ravener

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Blk
Quote:
Here is what JBA's full exhaust sounds like. I have their axle back and BBK LT's, if you want something that screams "Here I am, fear me!", this is what you want. Check the prices, you won't be sorry.
Question: I have the kooks stepped headers and their 2.5" catback system on currently (street sleeper). It is too quiet for me at both idle and while driving, though I am trying to be kind to my neighbors. What would you think I need to swap out and replace with JBA components to get that aggressive JBA sound? Headers will stay kooks regardless, so cat back? axle back? Been considering Flowmaster AT as well, but I want to limit my part swapping
Old 08-25-2011, 01:22 PM   #17
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinman View Post
The Borla S-Type sounds FAAANTASTIC on my car. It's hard to decide from listening to YouTube videos, because as good as it sounds on your phone/laptop, exhaust systems sound 100 times better live. Just my 2 cents.
I went with the Borla S-Type as well. I am happy with the level of the sound. ATAK was to loud for my taste since I wanted to be able to hear the stereo and hold a conversation.

The S-Type has a slight drone at 1500-2000 RPM. The idle produces a cool blub blub blub. When you get on it, the sound really picks up and is deep. I think for the Borla line, it's a nice compromise between the extreme ATAK and the mild mannered Touring. My choice was also based on that when headers are added the sound will be even louder. It will be a while before I do headers since I just got the car.

Sound is a personal thing. I think most big-named pipes are all "good" as long as the physical construction and materials are quality. To ask what the best pipe for your car is too subjective. You need to listen (hopefully in person) to find the right sound.
bannonm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:25 PM   #18
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Dynatech LT's and Corsa is what you need
Old 08-25-2011, 03:12 PM   #19
Needs Exhaust!

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2008 XLR-V
If you want gains, then you are looking for a catback system along with headers and a possible tune.

You have options with Borla:

If you want something REALLY aggressive and obnoxious, go for the Borla ATAK w/ kooks LTs. If you want an aggressive note and still are able to drive home at 3:00am, go for the Borla Stinger with LTs.

You also have other options:

My personal favorites are the Corsa catback and Stainless Works Retro Chambered Catback systems with LTs. The Corsa will give you a pure, racing-car note while the Stainless will give you that deep muscle car sound.

In the end, it's whatever you prefer. I would advise that you try and go to a car meet to hear the systems in person because 1.) videos do not do the sounds justice and 2.) you don't know what else the car may have, ie a cam, based on a video.
Needs Exhaust! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 04:02 PM   #20
2010 4 DW
Account Suspended

Drives: White 2010 RS/SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravener View Post
Question: I have the kooks stepped headers and their 2.5" catback system on currently (street sleeper). It is too quiet for me at both idle and while driving, though I am trying to be kind to my neighbors. What would you think I need to swap out and replace with JBA components to get that aggressive JBA sound? Headers will stay kooks regardless, so cat back? axle back? Been considering Flowmaster AT as well, but I want to limit my part swapping
Swap to the 40-3114 JBA 3" Catback and you will have the same sound as the JBA car. I have that system on my car and it sounds great.

Just my o2
2010 4 DW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 08:19 PM   #21
Josh@ARH

Drives: 2013 Corvette GS
Our full exhaust system is what you are looking for. You will see substantial gains and it sounds great. Here is a clip from one of our customers with our full exhaust setup.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mabbot16#p/u/13/ESvCxxERK54
Josh@ARH is offline   Reply With Quote