Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 09-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #1
FredSS

Drives: 2013 Red Tint Metalic 2SS/RS
Header type help or suggestions

I need some header type help - or suggestions. I want headers but I don't plan on swapping CAM or any more agressive changes (for now). I'll do a CIA and maybe tune or cat-back but I'd like to stay w/stock exhaust and CATs.

I'm looking for suggestions / comments on LT vs Short headers and the size. Short vs. Long - Are shorties harder/easier to install or benefit over the other?
Tube Size - What size 1 3/4, 1 7/8, 2''?
Cats or Not? Looking at ARH - but should I spring for the high-flow CATs too or is there some setup that'd let me use stock CATs?

If there is another forum post where similar was asked just bump me to that thread. Thanks in advanced for helping this newbie. I'm in a 2SS/RS w/manual trans in case there is a difference.

-- Fred
FredSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #2
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredSS View Post
I need some header type help - or suggestions. I want headers but I don't plan on swapping CAM or any more agressive changes (for now). I'll do a CIA and maybe tune or cat-back but I'd like to stay w/stock exhaust and CATs.

I'm looking for suggestions / comments on LT vs Short headers and the size. Short vs. Long - Are shorties harder/easier to install or benefit over the other?
They install the exact same way, except LTs are longer than shorties. You also can't use the stock cats with LT headers.
Most people go with 1 7/8", but if you're looking for more power down the road then go with 2". I personally wouldn't install 1 3/4" - just not worth it IMO
Cats or Not? Looking at ARH - but should I spring for the high-flow CATs too or is there some setup that'd let me use stock CATs?
If you get shorty headers you have to cut part of the stock cats. If you get LT headers than you can't use the stock cats and have to either buy high flow cats specifically for LTs or just not run cats.

If there is another forum post where similar was asked just bump me to that thread. Thanks in advanced for helping this newbie. I'm in a 2SS/RS w/manual trans in case there is a difference.
-- Fred
comments in red
Old 09-13-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Jason 98 TA

Drives: Camaro
don't do a shorty whatever you do. The power gains will just not be there.

Go long tubes without a doubt!

You might also consider the TSP 304 stainless 1 7/8" long tubes. We offer them in both cat & off-road versions & they are priced very very reasonable.

Not to mention they are fully polished, come with a warranty, and are made from the thickest header tubing available!!

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-2168-te...ro-ss-62l.aspx

Jason 98 TA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
If you don't mind tuning definatly go for LT's and high flow cats, along with a good CAI and a tune! With the LT's and high flow cats you can keep the stock catback and it'll sound really good! There's really no performance gain with a catback, it's all in the headers, cats, and cai! Do not waste your time on shorties, not worth it!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 12:02 PM   #5
Termin8r27

Drives: 2012 45th Camaro L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stieger View Post
comments in red
Exactly what he said.

Also if you plan on installing them yourself the difficult part is getting the stock manifolds off, it's easier just to replace it all IMO.

I just installed the LG 1 7/8" system with no cats and their mufflers last night by myself and I love it.
Old 09-13-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:

-- Fred
You can get all the best parts in one complete package including custom tune to bring it all together.

http://jreperformanceparts.com/gm/20...package-1.html
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:23 PM   #7
eastwoodisme

Drives: 2010 LS3 CGM 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason 98 TA View Post
don't do a shorty whatever you do. The power gains will just not be there.

Go long tubes without a doubt!

You might also consider the TSP 304 stainless 1 7/8" long tubes. We offer them in both cat & off-road versions & they are priced very very reasonable.

Not to mention they are fully polished, come with a warranty, and are made from the thickest header tubing available!!

http://www.texas-speed.com/p-2168-te...ro-ss-62l.aspx

I have the Cherry Bomb Extreme Cat-Back system. It comes with an x pipe and bolts directly up to the stock cats... What else do I need for this system with no cats? I believe the cherry bomb system is 2.5"? I'm not sure. Any advise would be appreciated, I love your prices!
eastwoodisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #8
Chris@SPMC
Account Suspended

Drives: '99 H/C FRC Corvette and '07 TBSS
Quote:

-- Fred
Fred, as others have mentioned the long tubes are the way to go. I'd recommend the 1.875" as they will make the best average power. I'd also recommend getting cats unless you want it loud and the old school muscle car smell as they don't hinder power much. We happen to be local and are an American Racing Dealer, so feel free to contact me for a package deal.
Chris@SPMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 04:38 PM   #9
ronniels3

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING View Post
You can get all the best parts in one complete package including custom tune to bring it all together.

http://jreperformanceparts.com/gm/20...package-1.html
Ted,

Would you honor that price with ARH headers and cats instead of the Dynatechs?

Ron
ronniels3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 07:20 AM   #10
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronniels3 View Post
Ted,

Would you honor that price with ARH headers and cats instead of the Dynatechs?

Ron
I wish I could, but the cost difference in the headers does not allow that, we are putting together an ARH 415 Package right now that you should be able to see on our site in the next hour or so.

Thanks for looking.
Old 09-14-2011, 08:06 AM   #11
skar

Drives: 2010 2SSRS headers/CAI/tune/corsa,
cool
I will be looking.
I like the 304 SST from ARH
Not the T201 Dynateck (I called and ask)
skar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 12:50 PM   #12
JANNETTYRACING

Quote:
Originally Posted by skar View Post
cool
I will be looking.
I like the 304 SST from ARH
Not the T201 Dynateck (I called and ask)
Here is the 415 package with ARH headers and all the options.

http://jreperformanceparts.com/gm/20...h-headers.html
Old 09-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #13
Josh@ARH

Drives: 2013 Corvette GS
Quote:

-- Fred
Fred I see that you mention LT vs short headers but you also mention doing a cat back in the future. ARH makes two systems, one we call a short system and one we call a long system. The "short" system not to be confused with shorty headers consists of our long tube header but a short connection pipe which connects to the factory cat back. The long system extends all the way to the axle back section of the car but it also includes an x-pipe. We recommend the 1 7/8 on cars that are going to stay just bolt on.

As far as cats, you can't use the factory cats with out system. Only with a shorty header can you use them and shorty headers do not gain much power. Also our high flow cats work so good that you will only see a couple rwhp difference between cats and no cats.

Let me know if there is anything else I can assist you with
Josh@ARH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2011, 06:39 AM   #14
Bay Area SS

Drives: 2010 rs/2ss
Take a look at xs power systems. I got a complete system for around 700. It came with 1 7/8 polished long tubes x pipe and exhaust system. Sounds great: made good gains too.