Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #15
Deki

Drives: 2018 Mustang GT
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
only thing is... it is very RARE to see a typical owner be able to pull those kinds of times! I've have seen PLENTY of 05-09 Mustangs run, and in stock form they are pretty much a low 14 second car... especially if you are talking stock on a test and tune day..
That being said, I haven't seen one V6 Camaro run faster than a 14.8 either lol
Old 08-20-2012, 07:56 PM   #16
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deki View Post
That being said, I haven't seen one V6 Camaro run faster than a 14.8 either lol
But the OP doesn't have a STOCK V6 Camaro... so we are comparing a MODDED V6 Camaro to a STOCK GT...

My V6 Camaro stock, ignore the trap speed...

scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2012, 10:01 PM   #17
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
All things being ideal....launch, DA, and all that....OP car should be good for a mid to high 13. In the hot summer....not so much.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:20 PM   #18
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Drives: ZL1 19 White; Jeep 5.7 GC 15
Quote:
only thing is... it is very RARE to see a typical owner be able to pull those kinds of times! I've have seen PLENTY of 05-09 Mustangs run, and in stock form they are pretty much a low 14 second car... especially if you are talking stock on a test and tune day..
Fully agree with you John.

I dont know where those numbers come from because as you mentioned in real life the GT is much slower.

To be honest with you I dont see it beating a V6 Camaro stock.

I say a modded Camaro will beat a stock GT for sure.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:36 PM   #19
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Drives: 217 ci of fury; Chauffeured by SS
I've beaten an '05 GT at the track. But he had a stick, and my Camaro is modded. However he wasn't a bad driver; he said he was running high 14's most of the night. I beat him by about .4 if I remember correctly.

2011 Custom LT/RS: Bella's Build Thread
BowtieBelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:21 PM   #20
Deki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Gray View Post
Fully agree with you John.

I dont know where those numbers come from because as you mentioned in real life the GT is much slower.

To be honest with you I dont see it beating a V6 Camaro stock.

I say a modded Camaro will beat a stock GT for sure.
Average times a stock GT runs are much faster than the average times a stock V6 Camaro runs. Look at the fast list for modded Camaros. It's about in line, if not slightly faster, than what the 3V GTs run. I'd say stock GT vs. modded V6 Camaro is a driver's race, with the advantage still going to the GT.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:28 PM   #21
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
Average times a stock GT runs are much faster than the average times a stock V6 Camaro runs. Look at the fast list for modded Camaros. It's about in line, if not slightly faster, than what the 3V GTs run. I'd say stock GT vs. modded V6 Camaro is a driver's race, with the advantage still going to the GT.
That is the arguement now. Numbers say something but in reality it is something else. Many members here smoked the GT 4.6.

Im surprised myself but that is real .

I have similar mods as 11 Camaro and I can tell you that the V6 with the ported IM and isolators makes a big jump in TQ and HP that matches or even tops the GT.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:35 PM   #22
Cyber Gray
Wind Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBelle View Post
I've beaten an '05 GT at the track. But he had a stick, and my Camaro is modded. However he wasn't a bad driver; he said he was running high 14's most of the night. I beat him by about .4 if I remember correctly.
What mods do you have on your car?
Old 08-28-2012, 01:24 PM   #23
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Quote:
What mods do you have on your car?
Ported throttle body, axle-back exhaust, ported IM, cold air intake and VMAX black ice-olator.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:44 AM   #24
Deki

Quote:
That is the arguement now. Numbers say something but in reality it is something else. Many members here smoked the GT 4.6.

Im surprised myself but that is real .

I have similar mods as 11 Camaro and I can tell you that the V6 with the ported IM and isolators makes a big jump in TQ and HP that matches or even tops the GT.
But fast lists here and over on the Mustang forums are a reality. What actually happens on the street and what people write on the internet are two different things.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:04 AM   #25
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
But fast lists here and over on the Mustang forums are a reality. What actually happens on the street and what people write on the internet are two different things.
But "Fast List" by their own definition, only represent a small fraction of the TOP cars, NOT the average... when talking about comparing cars you need to really look at the typical/average, not just a small percentage of the fastest cars... and for every owner that posts his 13 second run, there's probably 3 or 4 owners that don't post about their 14 second runs...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:46 AM   #26
Deki

Quote:
But "Fast List" by their own definition, only represent a small fraction of the TOP cars, NOT the average... when talking about comparing cars you need to really look at the typical/average, not just a small percentage of the fastest cars... and for every owner that posts his 13 second run, there's probably 3 or 4 owners that don't post about their 14 second runs...
Same logic applies to V6 Camaro as does to 3V GT owners. I'm going off the information presented to me and available online with verified time slips. There are more 3V GT Mustangs out there then 5th gen v6 Camaros, so I think the laws of averages would work in the favor of the GT. All I'm saying it, not a whole lot of Camaros with the mods the OP has are running faster times than stock 3V GTs, until you put tires on them.
Old 08-29-2012, 08:40 AM   #27
BowtieBelle
They see me trollin'...

Quote:
Same logic applies to V6 Camaro as does to 3V GT owners. I'm going off the information presented to me and available online with verified time slips. There are more 3V GT Mustangs out there then 5th gen v6 Camaros, so I think the laws of averages would work in the favor of the GT. All I'm saying it, not a whole lot of Camaros with the mods the OP has are running faster times than stock 3V GTs, until you put tires on them.
Mine's running faster than the '05 GT though (and now that I think about it, he mentioned cold air so I'm assuming he had an intake. I didn't look under the hood) Or at least it did at the track, and I don't have the long tubes or the tune.

Then again we do have to account for the drivers. I get tunnel vision when I'm in front of that tree, and I've been told I'm good at drag racing. I'd like to think so anyway!

Last edited by BowtieBelle; 08-29-2012 at 10:36 AM.
Old 08-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #28
Grabber
Just a car guy

Drives: 2016 Durango R/T AWD
So, what is the verdict?

Is the 05 GT with a good driver in decent weather a 14 Second car compared to a bolt-on V6 Camaro?

I've seen hundreds of 13.5-13.7 Timeslips from 05-09 GT's being Bone Stock. I don't see many V6 Camaro's stock, or lightly modded running those times.

It all comes down to the driver, however, if a modded V6 Camaro beats a Stock GT, doesn't mean it will happen all the time. Beating the driver is one thing, beating the car is another.

I once raced a 150 Shot, H/C LS1 in my Pullied 03 Cobra. I pulled him by 1 car before the end of the 1/4 mile. Doesn't mean my car is faster, I either out drove him, or his car wasn't running as well as it should be.

IMO I think it will be a close race, but, I think the GT will come out on top due to the 103-105 Trap speeds I've witnessed first hand to coming from the GT. I believe most modded V6 Camaro's trap around 100-102 with bolt-ons, is this accurate?
2014 5.0 - Ported CobraJet Manifold - SCJ Mono-Blade TB - Kooks 1-3/4" LT Headers - Kooks O/R H-pipe - Custom Intake - McLeod clutch line - Borla S-Type Axle Backs - AED Tuned - 443 RWHP / 388 RWTQ - GONE
05 GT - Sold
03 Cobra - Gone (Never Forgotten)
Grabber is offline   Reply With Quote