Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-19-2015, 06:37 AM   #1
Josh@ARH

Drives: 2013 Corvette GS
Anyone go from a C6 GS to a ZL1?

I was originally looking at buying a slightly used 1LE and keeping my GS, however in the past few days I've been looking at ZL1's. I like the idea that the car is already supercharged and can handle. The problem is that there are no new ones at any dealers near by so I can't go and test drive one at the current moment. If I did get one, I would have to sell my GS so I'm hoping to get some input from people who have done the same swap. I'm debating also going with a slightly used one compared to a new one (unless gm runs 20% off again).
Josh@ARH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 06:52 AM   #2
Minator

Drives: 2014 Chevy Camaro ZL1
Right now we 2 for sales. 2014 convert auto and a 15 m6 coup
Minator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
harmonyp

Drives: 2015 ZL1 Silver Ice Metallic Manual
Not a GS, but I traded my 2012 love of my life base modded model vette for a 2015 ZL1. My baby had Borla ATAKs, custom MCS steering wheel, exposed CF side skirts, ZR1 repro chrome wheels, and a bunch more. I LOVED that car. So - why did I do it?

Car takes me about 15000 mostly commute miles a year. I worshipped my vette, and it couldn't have been more fun to drive. First year of driving - awesome. But honestly, it was beating the )(@#$ out of me during my commute - great on good roads, jarring on bad roads. And the walls were closing in - I loved the very snug interior at first, but it's pretty darned small as a commute car.

I drove a 2012 ZL1 around the time I got the vette, in mid 2013. I had been in love ever since. Never got that car off my mind. I knew I couldn't go down in HP, and insisting on a manual definitely narrows the selection (not that that mattered).

I did the trade now close to a month ago. I just passed my 1500 mark - WHOPPEE - I never once went over 4000 rpm during the break in - look out!.

This car does not disappoint. It's a crazy beast that couldn't be easier to drive. The 580 hp is always there, but if you don't abuse it car's very tame to drive. Probably not better than your GS in corners, but corners better than my base - which really surprised me.

Visibility is the same, comfort is mind boggling in comparison and don't have to worry about small bumps in the road, power - a LOT more, for manual - much better shifter, can pack dogs or small children AND passenger if you want, get D steering wheel without aftermarket, the default exhaust is more awesome than any aftermarket you'll put on a C6.

Do I miss my vette, yes I do (although I have a 1969 C3 to pacify me!) Am I glad I made the trade - absoflippinlutely.
harmonyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 08:48 AM   #4
NYStockboy

Drives: 2013 Corvette Grand Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh@ARH View Post
I was originally looking at buying a slightly used 1LE and keeping my GS, however in the past few days I've been looking at ZL1's. I like the idea that the car is already supercharged and can handle. The problem is that there are no new ones at any dealers near by so I can't go and test drive one at the current moment. If I did get one, I would have to sell my GS so I'm hoping to get some input from people who have done the same swap. I'm debating also going with a slightly used one compared to a new one (unless gm runs 20% off again).

I am debating this exact question in my mind right now. I have a beautiful 2013 Cyber Gray, 6 Speed Corvette Grand Sport with 7,250 miles. I purchased the car new, exactly 2 years ago yesterday, on 2/18/13. There is a new '15 ordered for stock by a relatively local dealership which will be coming in within the next 4-6 weeks, which would be available to test drive. But, since production of the ZL1 is starting up soon, I could either order a new car specifically to my wants now, without being able to test drive prior to ordering, or wait for the car that was previously ordered by the dealership that is coming in soon, test drive that one and probably purchase.

The strong underlying question to all of this is, would I regret selling my Grand Sport, which is set up perfectly, I would not change a thing on it. But as I said in another post, I have a strong muscle car itch that needs to be scratched.

Thanks,
Ken
NYStockboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
AbsolutHank

Drives: 2016 Corvette Z06 M6
I did this exact trade. Both cars were manual trans. GS was a Vert though.

What's important to you? The ZL1 feels big, brakes are much worse and it feels slower in stock form. I still was happy with my decision and ultimately sold the car and bought another ZL1 a few months back.

If you don't plan to mod and get it around the 600rwhp mark, I'd just keep the Vette honestly. Once I modded, it really was a lot of fun
2013 Dodge Viper #44/150 Launch Edition IG:@absoluthank
20/21 BC Forged Wheels : BC Coilovers: TA Aero
AbsolutHank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #6
harmonyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYStockboy View Post
I am debating this exact question in my mind right now. I have a beautiful 2013 Cyber Gray, 6 Speed Corvette Grand Sport with 7,250 miles. I purchased the car new, exactly 2 years ago yesterday, on 2/18/13. There is a new '15 ordered for stock by a relatively local dealership which will be coming in within the next 4-6 weeks, which would be available to test drive. But, since production of the ZL1 is starting up soon, I could either order a new car specifically to my wants now, without being able to test drive prior to ordering, or wait for the car that was previously ordered by the dealership that is coming in soon, test drive that one and probably purchase.

The strong underlying question to all of this is, would I regret selling my Grand Sport, which is set up perfectly, I would not change a thing on it. But as I said in another post, I have a strong muscle car itch that needs to be scratched.

Thanks,
Ken
Strong advice to drive both the Stingray and the ZL1 before making a decision. The C6, C7 and ZL1 are 3 very different cars. I don't believe you can go wrong with any, but you've already got a great car - ensure if you make the change you're changing to something you'll like better.
Old 02-19-2015, 12:27 PM   #7
harmonyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbsolutHank View Post
I did this exact trade. ...

What's important to you? The ZL1 feels big, brakes are much worse and it feels slower in stock form.
ZL1 feels perfect size to me after coming from a vette.

Brakes much worse - really? I think the brakes are perfect.

SLOWER?! Ummmm ... when? Maybe from weight a little slower when shifting from 1st to 2nd, but HOLY @#)$*, the ZL1 is a danged rocket ship.
Old 02-19-2015, 01:42 PM   #8
Raven87
C'mon- really?

Drives: Looking for a ZL1
The ZL1 might feel slower to some only because you sit relatively higher in the vehicle but actual times show the ZL1 on par with the GS or C7.

I went from a C7 to my ZL1. I loved my C7 but the 'Hold me tight' interior got a little old after a while. But - you cannot argue the performance of the C7 or the C6 GS so drive the GS to the dealer when you test drive the next ZL1.

I think you will know whether to keep your GS (a GREAT car!) or get the ZL1. You won't go wrong either way.
2018 Camaro 2SS 1LE Black #3805 - SOLD
Raven87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:10 PM   #9
Josh@ARH

Drives: 2013 Corvette GS
Thanks for the advice guys. I guess i''ll wait to find one in stock once the production starts up again and dealers order some locally. I would definitely be modding it to somewhere in the 6-700 rwhp area. I do like how well the car responds to mods from the research ive been doing. I don't mind having a "bigger" car as I have had a few 2004-2006 GTO's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYStockboy View Post

Thanks,
Ken
I have had my 2013 GS since black Friday of 2012, so roughly about the same time as you and have somewhere around 6-7,000 miles on it (this winter has been horrible and the car has been covered in the garage for two months so I forget the exact mileage). I also agree that i'm not sure if I would regret selling my GS. I could afford both if I really wanted to but financially it's not a smart move.

Also like HarmonyP said, the ride on the C6 can get rough especially here on these NY roads. This is where I think the ZL1 will be superior with its suspension.

And if anyone is wondering what I would be giving up
Josh@ARH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:40 PM   #10
NYStockboy

Drives: 2013 Corvette Grand Sport
Josh, I have a very,very similar '13 GS except mine is Cyber Gray. I have the Black GS badges, red brake calipers, transparent roof, ZR1 spoiler, Black aluminum wheels, 6 Speed, 3LT, etc. The way your car and mine are set up is hard to find, the stealth look, so nice. If any one of those items were different, chrome badges instead of black badges, stock brake calipers instead of optional red calipers, chrome or base wheels instead of the black aluminum wheels etc., the car would not be as super hot. A really tough call to switch to the ZL1 or not.

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited by NYStockboy; 02-21-2015 at 02:36 PM.
NYStockboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 07:43 PM   #11
EOD_Tech Infidel

Drives: 2018 ZL1
I had a 2010 GS which in all honesty was probably one of the best cars I have ever owned. I was experiencing quite a few issues with the electronics in the dash and the creaky roof latches both about 1 month outside my warranty. The "corvette" tax to fix the issues became pretty ridiculous so I decided just to test drive a 2014 ZL1. 1 hour later I was buying it. they are very different and unique in some ways I miss the GS ( size, MPGs, sound.) However, I get in the ZL1 and I am constantly in awe that I'm driving a Camaro. It's awesome and a true muscle car that drives like a higher end sports car. just my $.02
EOD_Tech Infidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:38 PM   #12
Huntman

Drives: 13 ZL1 6M; 12 SS 6M 45th Convtible
Grand Sport to Camaro ZL1

I finally joined this forum after years of being a follower without posting to reply to this topic.

I have had in the past a 2008 Corvette Convertible Auto 3LT

Then sold and bought a new 2011 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible Auto 3LT Mag Ride

Bought a new 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary 2SS 6 Speed

Traded the 2011 Corvette for a New 2013 ZL1 Coupe 6 Speed (March of 2013).

The 2008 Corvette was fun but there was a huge difference in sports car feel going to the 2011 Grand Sport. There was no comparison in handling between the two corvettes, the Grand Sport made it a real sports car.

Wife fell in love with a Camaro Convertible so bought it with plans of getting a ZL1 coupe eventually to go with it.

There was no comparison in performance between the Vette and SS Convertible in handling or performance or mileage but the Camaro was just plain comfortable, fun and good looking. We found ourselves driving it way more than the Vette for the comfort factor mainly. I am 6'2" and "big boned" so corvettes are not the most comfortable to drive but I did drive mine 1000 miles home from Kerbecks.

The ZL1 for us at least was a far superior choice as the comfort is there for long trips or daily driving. The ZL1 feels faster than the Vette especially after a RotoFab Cold Air intake. The ZL1 and the 45th Anniversary Convertible SS both draw way more attention than the Vette ever did. Only 1 other ZL1 in the Area I know of (Convertible purchased after the guy saw my coupe and took him for a ride) and no other 45th cars that I am aware of.

I would do the trade again in a heart beat to go from the Vette to the ZL1 especially. There is no comparison between the 2 Camaros partially due to the Convertible vs Coupe issue that and the extra horsepower;

Only downfall of the Camaros is the gas mileage is substantially worse than the Corvettes, but small price to pay.

Grand Sport is a Great Handling car, C7 looks wicked and may have to pick one up eventually to replace the SS, but I don't think the ZL1 is going anywhere but my garage for years to come.

Good Luck

Last edited by Huntman; 02-20-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Huntman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 01:48 PM   #13
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntman View Post
I finally joined this forum after years of being a follower without posting to reply to this topic.

I have had in the past a 2008 Corvette Convertible Auto 3LT

Then sold and bought a new 2011 Corvette Grand Sport Convertible Auto 3LT Mag Ride

Bought a new 2012 Camaro 45th Anniversary 2SS 6 Speed

Traded the 2011 Corvette for a 2013 ZL1 Coupe 6 Speed.

The 2008 Corvette was fun but there was a huge difference in sports car feel going to the 2011 Grand Sport. There was no comparison in handling between the two corvettes, the Grand Sport made it a real sports car.

Wife fell in love with a Camaro Convertible so bought it with plans of getting a ZL1 coupe eventually to go with it.

There was no comparison in performance between the Vette and SS Convertible in handling or performance or mileage but the Camaro was just plain comfortable, fun and good looking. We found ourselves driving it way more than the Vette for the comfort factor mainly. I am 6'2" and "big boned" so corvettes are not the most comfortable to drive but I did drive mine 1000 miles home from Kerbecks.

The ZL1 for us at least was a far superior choice as the comfort is there for long trips or daily driving. The ZL1 feels faster than the Vette especially after a RotoFab Cold Air intake. The ZL1 and the 45th Anniversary Convertible SS both draw way more attention than the Vette ever did. Only 1 other ZL1 in the Area I know of (Convertible purchased after the guy saw my coupe and took him for a ride) and no other 45th cars that I am aware of.

I would do the trade again in a heart beat to go from the Vette to the ZL1 especially. There is no comparison between the 2 Camaros partially due to the Convertible vs Coupe issue that and the extra horsepower;

Only downfall of the Camaros is the gas mileage is substantially worse than the Corvettes, but small price to pay.

Grand Sport is a Great Handling car, C7 looks wicked and may have to pick one up eventually to replace the SS, but I don't think the ZL1 is going anywhere but my garage for years to come.

Good Luck
Great read!

Welcome to C5.

You have to post a picture of your new car so we can official all welcome you!
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 02:07 PM   #14
Huntman

Drives: 13 ZL1 6M; 12 SS 6M 45th Convtible
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Great read!

Welcome to C5.

You have to post a picture of your new car so we can official all welcome you!
Here is the ZL1 after being detailed while still at the detail shop before winter.
Attached Images

Huntman is offline   Reply With Quote