Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 10-23-2008, 08:31 PM   #29
Dom

Drives: 2000 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ91 View Post
i thought the GT 0-60 was 5.4 seconds? is that true?
Yeah because they're geared too high. This is why their 1/4mph sucks. It shows no power up top. I have faith that a 5th gen V6 will keep up. The cars will be close in the 1/4.
Dom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:48 PM   #30
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
Im sure he is as well, but thats comparing apples to oranges.

comparing a vehicle that came out 6 years ago vs a vehicle that came out this year is not a decent comparison.

but as ive stated before, im fairly certain the mustang GT will beat the V-6 Camaro. due mostly in part from the higher torque of the GT being able to get off the line.
Right. The Mustang GT not only weighs less vs a V6 Camaro, but it also has more torque... It's going to be quicker. Alot of V6 Camaro owners are going to be very surprised if they think they can beat a current gen Mustang GT....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
Yeah because they're geared too high. This is why their 1/4mph sucks. It shows no power up top. I have faith that a 5th gen V6 will keep up. The cars will be close in the 1/4.
0-60 on a Mustang GT isn't 5.4... It's closer to 5 seconds flat...

Est 1/4 for the V6 Camaro is going to be 14.5-14.1 seconds if at best. The Mustang GT does the 1/4 in 13.8 even 13.6 with a skilled driver. The V6 Camaro is going to have to have a few mods to keep up with the Mustang GT...
Old 10-24-2008, 10:53 PM   #31
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
comparing a vehicle that came out 6 years ago vs a vehicle that came out this year is not a decent comparison.
True, but it's even more ridiculous that he is saying the current GT can beat an LS1 Z28. That is completely and utterly untrue. Even after six years, the LS1 still rules the anemic 4.6L.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:32 PM   #32
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
True, but it's even more ridiculous that he is saying the current GT can beat an LS1 Z28. That is completely and utterly untrue. Even after six years, the LS1 still rules the anemic 4.6L.

On the one time I've gone to the track in my SS, I raced a few GT's....07's most likely. They were stock (or had to have been because...) They LOST. They kept up, but it was an easy win.

No current Mustang GT can beat any 02 LS1 Camaro. Stock for stock, the Camaro will come out the winner. Not trying to bad mouth the Mustang. I know there's some owners here.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:50 PM   #33
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
Quote:
Let me get this straight; it's rediculous for me to say a current GT can beat an LS1 Z28. Well pal, i only go by the road test i've read. The LS1 did 0-60 in 5.2 seconds in virtually all the tests i read, and i've got the magazines. The current GT has been clocked a tick under that. I can only go by reality, not what i wish was true.
AZCamaroFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:58 PM   #34
BowtieGuy
Enlightened

Drives: Nothing Currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by azfan View Post
Let me get this straight; it's rediculous for me to say a current GT can beat an LS1 Z28. Well pal, i only go by the road test i've read. The LS1 did 0-60 in 5.2 seconds in virtually all the tests i read, and i've got the magazines. The current GT has been clocked a tick under that. I can only go by reality, not what i wish was true.
Real world numbers are always faster than road test times. Note that the magazine test quoted in this thread for the Mustang (5.4) are slower than the actual number (5.1) that you seem to follow. In the 1320 the Mustang, with perfect conditions, will run a 13.8, maybe slightly lower. Under perfect conditions, the LS1 (of any year) can be clocked a full second or more faster. 0-60 is not all that matters, even if it were, ANY LS1 can run a sub 5 second 0-60. Any notion that a current stock (or previous) GT Mustang is faster than the stock LS1 F-bodies is nothing short of misinformed.

People have to talk about something just to keep their voice boxes in working order. So they'll have good voice boxes in case there's ever anything really meaningful to say.
Kurt Vonnegut
BowtieGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 12:29 AM   #35
swifttal

Drives: '91 Z-28
Man, even though the GT is faster, I'm hoping that the car mags pit the v6 against the GT as rivals... just showing that chevy's v6 is in the same performance class as the GT (even though it's slower) is a huge win for us.
swifttal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 11:42 AM   #36
Dom

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS4EVER View Post
Right. The Mustang GT not only weighs less vs a V6 Camaro, but it also has more torque... It's going to be quicker. Alot of V6 Camaro owners are going to be very surprised if they think they can beat a current gen Mustang GT....

0-60 on a Mustang GT isn't 5.4... It's closer to 5 seconds flat...

Est 1/4 for the V6 Camaro is going to be 14.5-14.1 seconds if at best. The Mustang GT does the 1/4 in 13.8 even 13.6 with a skilled driver. The V6 Camaro is going to have to have a few mods to keep up with the Mustang GT...
I remember back in the day when everyone had a LT1, it was common knowledge that they run roughly 14.2s stock on average. Then I compared it to the 5th gen V6 and everyone with a LT1 got all offended and all of a sudden the LT1 is a mid to high 13s stock. Yeah sure, now they're faster then LS1s.

So all those people who said how fast the LT1 was back when it was the top dog are saying how much of a girls car the 5th gen V6 is just makes me laugh.
How is this 6 not a performance car when the LT1 was a performance car? If the bar got bumped higher we should start calling LT1s girls cars too then.

Same for when I compared them to GTs. I had both a modded V6 and now have a near stock LS1. V6 with just 200hp, gears and verter, no engine mods what so ever ran 14.3 in the 1/4. New camaro will probably do as you said low to mid 14s stock on average. You're looking at 100 more hp, way more torque in the low rpm. My 3.8 was a dog until 3k thats why the verter and gears helped so much. If a skilled driver can do 13.8 with the mustang GT then a skilled driver can do 14.0 with a 5th gen V6. I ran 12.9 @107.5 with a lid and muffler in my '00Z on street tires. I guess I'm a second faster then Mustangs GTs and at least 8mph more on the top end. That's the kind of turd that Mustang is. They only reason for their good 0-60 is a really high gearing. It makes up for weak hp just like high gearing made up for weak hp on my V6. I cut 1.8 60s in my V6 and my LS1 can only cut 2.0 60s. The mustang GT will have a slight edge due to 250 less lbs and more torque. Think about how ridiculous that is to have a competitors V6 keep up with your V8.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:44 AM   #37
Dom

Quote:
Real world numbers are always faster than road test times. Note that the magazine test quoted in this thread for the Mustang (5.4) are slower than the actual number (5.1) that you seem to follow. In the 1320 the Mustang, with perfect conditions, will run a 13.8, maybe slightly lower. Under perfect conditions, the LS1 (of any year) can be clocked a full second or more faster. 0-60 is not all that matters, even if it were, ANY LS1 can run a sub 5 second 0-60. Any notion that a current stock (or previous) GT Mustang is faster than the stock LS1 F-bodies is nothing short of misinformed.
4.6 0-60 here with just lid and muffler on street tires. Mags were saying 5.3.
Old 10-25-2008, 02:58 PM   #38
ZeeTwentyFour
Does not have a Camaro

Drives: 99 silverado Z71/66 Chevelle SS
Send a message via AIM to ZeeTwentyFour
here is a cool video I saw on speed channel once. I think it was posted in this forum once before but I'll post it again. It has an interview with Gale Banks talking about ram air and boosting a car. http://www.bankspowertv.com/videos/show/3 The gist of what I was getting at is he gives a basic rule of thumb. 1 pound of boost= 7% gain in power, and 10 degree's cooler air =1% gain in power.
Old 10-25-2008, 03:47 PM   #39
SS4EVER
Camaro Convert...

Drives: 2006 Cobalt SS Supercharged
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom View Post
I remember back in the day when everyone had a LT1, it was common knowledge that they run roughly 14.2s stock on average. Then I compared it to the 5th gen V6 and everyone with a LT1 got all offended and all of a sudden the LT1 is a mid to high 13s stock. Yeah sure, now they're faster then LS1s.

So all those people who said how fast the LT1 was back when it was the top dog are saying how much of a girls car the 5th gen V6 is just makes me laugh.
How is this 6 not a performance car when the LT1 was a performance car? If the bar got bumped higher we should start calling LT1s girls cars too then.

Same for when I compared them to GTs. I had both a modded V6 and now have a near stock LS1. V6 with just 200hp, gears and verter, no engine mods what so ever ran 14.3 in the 1/4. New camaro will probably do as you said low to mid 14s stock on average. You're looking at 100 more hp, way more torque in the low rpm. My 3.8 was a dog until 3k thats why the verter and gears helped so much. If a skilled driver can do 13.8 with the mustang GT then a skilled driver can do 14.0 with a 5th gen V6. I ran 12.9 @107.5 with a lid and muffler in my '00Z on street tires. I guess I'm a second faster then Mustangs GTs and at least 8mph more on the top end. That's the kind of turd that Mustang is. They only reason for their good 0-60 is a really high gearing. It makes up for weak hp just like high gearing made up for weak hp on my V6. I cut 1.8 60s in my V6 and my LS1 can only cut 2.0 60s. The mustang GT will have a slight edge due to 250 less lbs and more torque. Think about how ridiculous that is to have a competitors V6 keep up with your V8.
It's going to be close. I was never saying that the V6 Camaro is going to be dogs slower than a Mustang GT, however it's going to be slightly slower.
It's hard because GM hasn't officially released any performance #'s for the V6 yet.

All we know is that GM said the V6 will do 0-60 in 6.1 seconds, but the engineers are planning on getting that down to 5.9 seconds.

For comparison a RWD Cadillac CTS does 0-60 in 5.8 seconds, and the CTS is slightly heavier than the Camaro, so there's no doubt in my mind that the Camaro won't at least be able to achieve 5.8 0-60 if not slightly better. I just don't think it will be doing 0-60 quicker than 5.7 seconds stock personally. Its curb weight and 276 ft lbs of torque probably won't be capable of doing anything under 5.7 stock, unless on slicks or something...

Also important to note that despite the Cadillac CTS doing 0-60 in 5.8 is only does the 1/4 in 14.6. (according to C&D #'s) So for whatever reason, such as gear ratio's, weight, etc it's trapping sorta on the high side.

So if the Camaro does 0-60 in 6.1-5.9 we're probably looking at 14.5-14.3 stock. Which isn't bad....

If it does 0-60 in 5.9-5.7 we could be looking at 14.3-14.0 at best....

Now Compare to a stock Mustang GT.
0-60mph 5.3-5.1 seconds
1/4 mile 14.0-13.6

Also looking at other vehicles such as the 07+ Nissan 350Z it does 0-60 in like 5.2-5.3 seconds and it also does the 1/4 in like 14.0-13.8 stock...

The Camaro V6 is going to be close to those, there's not doubt about it but stock, it's not going to be beating any Mustang GT's no matter how you wanna look at it.
Old 10-31-2008, 03:47 PM   #40
Justcallme61

Drives: 2000 honda accord v6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
holy crap...I took a link to another page, check this out:

100 + hp on 4.5 psi?!? Jeez!
I think whoever first said this little engine has some potential was understating the situation!
That little mod right there might be the answer to Mustang GT's alone
Justcallme61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 04:37 PM   #41
Max
Banned

Drives: 06 Roush Supercharged GT 427HP
Quote:
Yeah it's not going to beat a GT. I've always been amazed how fast the GT is considering the size of the engine, and the weight of the car. Talk about optimized gearing. I mean, it's less powerful than an LS1 Z28, it's at least a hundred pounds heavier, but it's a tick faster.
Yea,a ford SVT focus will do 0-60 6.7 a four banger
Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 05:32 PM   #42
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Quote:
Yeah it's not going to beat a GT. I've always been amazed how fast the GT is considering the size of the engine, and the weight of the car. Talk about optimized gearing. I mean, it's less powerful than an LS1 Z28, it's at least a hundred pounds heavier, but it's a tick faster.
LMFAOROTFL!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS?!!! If you can find me an article on a OEM GT running faster than a 12.9 (Yes, I have one or two by GMHTP, with a Ford driver...) I'd faint from suprise. A GT faster than an LS1 F-body? Are you serious?!

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote