Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
whemming

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS
2010 SS Bogged/Hesitated downshifting

Today I was driving on a 55MPH road and got behind a car going 40. I went to pass the car and downshifted from 5th to 4th(I Think) and floored it. As soon as I floored it the car just died for like 2 sec, then took off. I was tap shifting at the time. I may of double tapped it to 3rd, but not sure. At any rate 45 MPH is not to much in 3rd to hit the rev limit (at least I don't think so). This scared me, as I would hate to have this happen in a tight pass.

Anyone else ever experienced this with the L99? Should I take it to the dealer to check it out?
whemming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
To me this sounds like the most common complaint the L99 has. Whenever you start to slow down and immediately mash the pedal to give it gas, the car will bog for a second before going. There is nothing wrong with the car and it's all in the tranny tune so nothing your dealer can do. Those of us that have our car tuned no longer have this issue.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #3
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
A it is very hot outside. B wrong gear to hammer it in.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #4
whemming

Thanks, I am familiar with the AFM hesitation, and this was not that. It completely cut all power for what seemed like to seconds. This may be normal, but it felt strang to me, so I thought I would ask the community. Thanks again!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:14 PM   #5
greenrail
Comic Curmudgeon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS-2010 VW CC Sport
Rev limiter.......
Old 08-06-2012, 04:24 PM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by whemming View Post
Thanks, I am familiar with the AFM hesitation, and this was not that.
It's not the AFM causing it. It use to happen to me all the time driving around town. I would start slowing down for a red light and the light would change green before I stopped and when I gave it gas, the car would bog down. It's the exact same thing that you experienced. It is normal for the L99 and it's because of the factory tranny tune.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #7
daveagogo1
TRI COUNTY TAMPA

Drives: 2011 1SS/RS VR/BLK A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Draco View Post
It's not the AFM causing it. It use to happen to me all the time driving around town. I would start slowing down for a red light and the light would change green before I stopped and when I gave it gas, the car would bog down. It's the exact same thing that you experienced. It is normal for the L99 and it's because of the factory tranny tune.

Ok, If you really want to see how the A6 shifts in stock form. Go into Paddle mode. Get up to about 40-45 MPH in say 5th gear. Then get on the brakes and slow down to say approaching 12MPH. Don't use the paddles. Just let the tranny downshift for you and see what gear it is riding in at 12MPH. Then step on it and see what happens.

You will spit and sputter along until it you get back up to speed unless you downshift. It is highly doubtful AFM was even active during his little jaunt with varying speeds so agreed not AFM. Since OP was paddle shifting my money is on OP didn't downshift far enough to floor it and it bogged down. Probably was in 4th. Should have at least gone to 3rd. possibly 2nd depending on actual speed Op was going.

PS OP. You cannot downshift too far as the computers won't let you. It will show up SHIFT DENIED on the DIC. Built in safety net.

daveagogo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #8
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrail View Post
Rev limiter.......
3rd gear at 45mph is not even near the redline or rev limiter...
Old 08-06-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
whemming

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveagogo1 View Post
Ok, If you really want to see how the A6 shifts in stock form. Go into Paddle mode. Get up to about 40-45 MPH in say 5th gear. Then get on the brakes and slow down to say approaching 12MPH. Don't use the paddles. Just let the tranny downshift for you and see what gear it is riding in at 12MPH. Then step on it and see what happens.

You will spit and sputter along until it you get back up to speed unless you downshift. It is highly doubtful AFM was even active during his little jaunt with varying speeds so agreed not AFM. Since OP was paddle shifting my money is on OP didn't downshift far enough to floor it and it bogged down. Probably was in 4th. Should have at least gone to 3rd. possibly 2nd depending on actual speed Op was going.

PS OP. You cannot downshift too far as the computers won't let you. It will show up SHIFT DENIED on the DIC. Built in safety net.

Bogged down is prob the wrong term. It died for 2 sec (as if I let off the gas completely, then took off like normal. Note I did not shift out of it, I just kept the gas down and it then suddenly took off as expected. So I would guess a nanny
Old 08-07-2012, 01:18 AM   #10
2012-2SS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Thats the nature of torque management. The lag is sooo frustrating! I test drove an auto CTS-V and the car felt so sluggish and slow to respond, then I hopped in an SS with an M6 and it felt so much faster despite the 130hp-ish deficiancy. Ended up buying that M6 SS and haven't looked back.

Basically that lag you experienced was normal for autos.

2012-2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 02:00 PM   #11
whemming

Thanks everyone for the replies, I just wanted to make sure there was not an issue that I should be worried about.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:35 AM   #12
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Quote:
Originally Posted by whemming View Post
Today I was driving on a 55MPH road and got behind a car going 40. I went to pass the car and downshifted from 5th to 4th(I Think) and floored it. As soon as I floored it the car just died for like 2 sec, then took off. I was tap shifting at the time. I may of double tapped it to 3rd, but not sure. At any rate 45 MPH is not to much in 3rd to hit the rev limit (at least I don't think so). This scared me, as I would hate to have this happen in a tight pass.

Anyone else ever experienced this with the L99? Should I take it to the dealer to check it out?
Taking it to the dealership would be the best step to take when needing technical support. Please let us know what your dealership was able to diagnose!

Brandon
Chevrolet Customer Service