Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 07-16-2011, 08:31 AM   #43
HashimAzzouz

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM ~ 2009 Traverse LT
I hate the white color on cars... but this look bad ass to me.. really nice job.. the sound of it just blow me away... good job guys
HashimAzzouz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #44
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitten View Post
I appreciate most of what they have done with this car, and because it is a little heavier due to the convertible top I expected a less than stellar showing in the 1/4 mile while on an unprepared track with street tires.

That being said the MPH to me is not up to snuff for the power. At 117mph, lightly modded 03 Cobras would be giving this thing a hard time.

My hats off to SLP for putting together a nice looking car with a cool engine package. After GMMG built the last 69 ZL-1s in 2002 I feel like everything since has been played out. Couple that with the fact that GM will now have a regular production of ZL-1s that are much less expensive and I think poor SLP may need to put their own monicker on the car instead of using the ZL-1 name plate.
The simple fact is that a ZL-1 should not be a plush street cruising convertible. It should be a stripped down bare bones lightweight drag car that looks like a base model or has very understated enhancements that shed pounds. In my humble estimation they could have started with a base v6 or even SS, installed the necessaries to make it NHRA legal, stuck with the ALL aluminum LS7 with some better heads, cam, Headers and intake. And for the exterior a set of understated custom width black or body colored steel wheels with an option for a matching set with drag tires already mounted so you could swap tires out without drawing much attention.

All that being said not even GM stuck to this formula which I imagine is the collective desire of the Camaro community.

This is just one mans humble opinion.
You do realize to make the ZL1 NHRA legal it would need a roll bar. While for most of us on this site that would be awesome, GM is not going to build a 4 seater car where the rear seats are a death trap.

Gm builds cars to sell and a stripped down race car would not sell anywhere near what a fully loaded car would.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 11:52 PM   #45
Dalton22

Drives: 2011 VR 2SS/RS M6. 2000 lifted Z71
Despite all the negative comments, this is one of the best looking 5th gens I have seen. Awesome job on appearance and the houndstooth interior, sure the numbers aren't insanely impressive. I do believe the car could easily push 11's however in different conditions and slicks. I don't know if its the combination of the fascia and hood, but the front of this car looks awesome to me.
Dalton22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #46
Whitten

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by SUX2BU View Post
You do realize to make the ZL1 NHRA legal it would need a roll bar. While for most of us on this site that would be awesome, GM is not going to build a 4 seater car where the rear seats are a death trap.

Gm builds cars to sell and a stripped down race car would not sell anywhere near what a fully loaded car would.

In response to your response about my response, yes I am aware of the rules and regs. My suggestion was not directed to GM but SLP since they are now competing with GM for the same name.

Needless to say GM would have no problem selling a low production number drag car...their competition has people lining up to pay large amounts for them every year.

http://www.fordracingparts.com/cobrajet/
http://www.mopar.com/performance/dragpak.html

The crux of my argument was that a Camaro with the ZL-1 Moniker should be NHRA Legal. And if my reading is correct on the rules book a car need only have a cage if it runs 11.49 or faster in the 1/4 mile. That being said do not take this as a complaint that the ZL-1 name plate is back but rather a reminder of the ZL-1 history. By nature if the car was not an impressive drag car with ultra low numbers and a unique engine then it would not have been as sought after.

In a nutshell SLP has produced a stellar product but I do not feel as though it fits the nomenclature of its namesake. Devils Advocate arguers would suggest at least it is limited to 69 cars per year rather than what GM will run. At any rate these are all talking points and talking points only because they are going to build and sell them anyway.

*Edit
SUX2BU I just noticed you are from Sachse...I used to live there as well and I have to say it is rare to meet another person from there. I used to live at the corner of Murphy and 78 on street called Jefferson...hell you can see our old house from Murphy.

Last edited by Whitten; 07-20-2011 at 08:16 AM.
Whitten is offline   Reply With Quote