Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-17-2012, 02:50 AM   #1
StormWarning

Drives: camaro
Made My First Hard Launches in our Auto ZL1!

I finally found somewhere I could clean-out old "Crystal", our 2012 ZL1. It was at a gear-head BBQ! My first launch was in M (no taps used at all), PTM 5, foot-brake to 1,000 RPM, then gently roll it to the floor. Not much pizzaz.

OK, for the second launch, M (no taps), foot-brake to 1,500 RPM, then mash it. That worked much better and the front jumped. She just hooked and went straight no problem. Quite a few of the people said they couldn't believe how straight she went!

Hey, this isn't much to watch compared to some of the Hot Shoes out there, but it was fun! Irwindale Dragstrip here we come!

Oh, and this is my first video post, just in case.

P.S. And she stops on a dime!

StormWarning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:20 AM   #2
Snakedriver

Drives: ZL1
So no taps in the M mode means it starts out in 2nd gear? The "Only" way to get it to first gear is to put it in M mode and tap shift down to 1st and then you have to manually shift up from there it will not shift itself to second.
Snakedriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 10:24 AM   #3
toesuf94

Drives: THR #11 E-force supercharged
Send a message via MSN to toesuf94
Professional driver...closed course.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
Wantconvertible

Drives: 2011 SS/RS VERT
Who won
Old 09-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #5
StormWarning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
So no taps in the M mode means it starts out in 2nd gear? The "Only" way to get it to first gear is to put it in M mode and tap shift down to 1st and then you have to manually shift up from there it will not shift itself to second.
Ah jeez, I really hate to open this can of worms again! But what the hay. Here is my take on how the Auto works regarding "M", not "D".

I've heard all about the 2nd gear starts, and I've found that to be TRUE in "D" under "normal" driving (except for first start). When it "D", mine ALWAYS takes off in second. And yeah I'm one kinda those guys - I count the shifts!

OK - "M" position, also called "Sport". I was able to find a quiet 1/2 mile road that has a full retaining wall running by the curb. This helps to amplify the exhaust and hear the shifts. Now, EVERY TIME I idle down in "M" to the stop sign (NO TAPS touched), I begin to count the shifts. I can feel them and hear them. My throttle pressure is normal - no hotfoot. It takes me a little over a 1/4 mile to reach about 52 MPH the way I accelerate. And right about 53, it shifts into SIXTH GEAR -every time!

It makes sense I think. As indicated in the Owners Manual, "D" is for gas mileage kinda, and "M" is for Sport. You would want a little more guts in the "M" Sport mode, so it makes seems sense that the trans will always shift to 1st gear in "M" all the time, (taps or no taps) for a "Sport-ier" start.

From the Owners Manual:
"When coasting to a stop in Tap Shift
Mode, the V8 transmission will
automatically downshift to
2 (Second) gear. A 1 (First) gear
start can be selected using the Tap
Shift controls on V8 models."

Right - this is what mine does if I'm in "M" and have been screwing around with the Taps! But it drops to first when I stop if I haven't used the taps!

I tried to make a video a day or two ago along that road and it didn't come out well. How about this -- I'll try and make another one this afternoon and then we'll ALL go for a ride and count the shifts!!

Old 09-17-2012, 02:44 PM   #6
DNSXS

Drives: 2013 ZL1 IOM
Looking forward to seeing the video.
DNSXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Those powder coated wheels look better than the regular black wheels. Hmmm I wonder how it would look on a black car?
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 06:46 PM   #8
StormWarning

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormWarning View Post

I tried to make a video a day or two ago along that road and it didn't come out well. How about this -- I'll try and make another one this afternoon and then we'll ALL go for a ride and count the shifts!!

OK Auto trans fans, here we go!
I asked my wife and Assistant Crew Chief Jungle Pat to take the wheel of "Crystal" as we try and document a six-shift sequence while accelerating after coasting to a stop in "M" and not using the Taps. Our ZL1 always shifts down to First under this scenario and up-shifts six (6) times. Here is what we did:

Drove around for a while with the trans in "M"
Never once touched the Taps
Jungle Pat decelerated normally to a stop sign - didn't touch a thing
She accelerated normally and the car up-shifted six (6) times.

At least that's the way ours works! Count the shifts and watch the tach as we accelerate. I sure hope this helps shed some light on this topic! Maybe one day we can all figure it out!

Enjoy the ride!

P.S. I bet there's a whole lot of ZL1 shift-counting going on tonight !

Old 09-17-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
Trackman

Drives: 67RS Camaro ,Black 2013 ZL1
It should shift four time if in "D" mode (starts in second)
It should shift five time if in "S" mode (starts in first)
We only have a six speed.
Trackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
Taser Deployed

Drives: 2012 Blk ZL1
Interesting. The next time I get a chance to drive mines I'm going to see what it does in M.
Taser Deployed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:28 PM   #11
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Yeah, i have a caddy cts V6 and it's in 6th at 37 mph under slow acceleration and cruising.
Drove a Porsche cayenne s and it was in 7th at 37 mph.
Looks like you started off in 1st in the video.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote