Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-19-2010, 07:15 PM   #1
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Drives: A 2013 SS RS 6M SR
Clutch being replaced

So I finally took my car in to have the "sticking clutch" issue looked at since i'm at 7500 miles. They drive it and say they didn't see a problem and give it back. I told a tech there that the next time it sticks I'm going to just leave it so the "problem that is hard to repeat" breaks it.

On the way home getting onto the freeway and shifting into 3rd as usual, sticks on me. push the clutch in and shift into 6th...let the clutch out...sticks again.... so i just left it... so going 75 for a good 5 miles half engaged...needless to say smoke starts pouring out from under the car and the clutch goes to the floor on its own.

Call the dealer, and have it towed back to the dealership. Now that it's cooled off the clutch works again...but is mushy and obviously worn as the catch point has changed.

Tech says that he still see's nothing wrong and says I'm an aggressive driver and probably causing the clutch to stick myself... I go for a drive on side streets in traffic and he comments on me leaving my foot over the clutch pedal while driving instead of putting it to the side on the floor plate. He also says if the clutch is shot that I will be paying to replace it and that my long tubes might possibly be heating the transmission...

I talk to the service manager and he says he will have it looked at and has the service shuttle give me a ride home.

This morning he calls and says that they didn't even take the transmission apart and called the regional guy who said that the camaros have an issue with the clutch actuator wearing out the clutch and that they will be replacing the worn parts.

They ordered parts #24255748 and #19210297. My understanding is that the first part # is a kit that is an updated clutch assembly etc.

We shall how long it takes the parts to get here.

My service advisor wasn't very happy that I was asking questions about seeing the parts after they are removed and wanting the part #'s that were ordered.

Hopefully this fixes the problem. I know many others have had the same clutch issue so I'm hoping my experience helps...

Now lets hope he gets back to me without any dings and dents in him...

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:47 AM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Good for you!

Had mine replaced months ago, under warranty.
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 07:12 AM   #3
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Still waiting on parts. I will post pics of the removed clutch after if I can.

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

Old 10-22-2010, 10:51 PM   #4
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Still waiting on parts. I will post pics of the removed clutch after if I can.
wonder if the 2011's are having the same problems?
justa25thTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:58 PM   #5
96/10SS

Drives: 2010 2SS Orange w/ Grey stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael_Js View Post
Good for you!

Had mine replaced months ago, under warranty.
how did you get it replaced under warranty? the clutch isnt covered under the powertrain correct?
96/10SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #6
3min3m2

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SIM L-99
Depends on mileage

Borla S type, Volant CAI.
3min3m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:55 AM   #7
96/10SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3min3m2 View Post
Depends on mileage
oh i thought it just didnt cover items like brakes,clutch, oil stuff like that
Old 10-23-2010, 12:02 PM   #8
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96/10SS View Post
how did you get it replaced under warranty? the clutch isnt covered under the powertrain correct?
Only if it's wear is caused by the failure of another part. i.e. if a caliper locks up they will replace the brake pads too.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #9
SC2150
Account Suspended

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS, RX supercharged
The issue is the master/slave system. Has been since 1997 when the C5 vette was released. Every clutch will burn up if the pedal sticks and you try to drive w/it. The tech that gave you the bull### line is an idiot or just started working on GM cars a few days beofre. This is a well documented issue with all GM manual trans vehicles.
SC2150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #10
CamaroMiami

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS LS3, 92 Camaro RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
The issue is the master/slave system. Has been since 1997 when the C5 vette was released. This is a well documented issue with all GM manual trans vehicles.
Thanks for the information. (hopefully the Z solves this glitch)
CamaroMiami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:36 PM   #11
The Flash

Drives: Firebird 95, Equinox 05, Camaro 2SS
No that's not it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC2150 View Post
The issue is the master/slave system. Has been since 1997 when the C5 vette was released. Every clutch will burn up if the pedal sticks and you try to drive w/it. The tech that gave you the bull### line is an idiot or just started working on GM cars a few days beofre. This is a well documented issue with all GM manual trans vehicles.
With all due respect to your opinion SC2150 that's not the problem: the problem was already indicated by MillerTime dealership's technician: the problem is Mr. MillerTime "is an aggressive driver".

Yeaph.... that's the thing!!! See Millertime???!!!

You are mistaken in your choice of car... you should have bought a real car with a real tranny so you can drive it in the real world like a real man.

The "regional guy" (regional service manager I assume) does not know what he is talking about, the technician is the guy with the knowledge, he's got the pulse on your situation.

Well pardon for writing so much..I'll just go out to my garage now and talk softly and nicely to my cars, especially to EXCELSIOR (my CAMARO), asking how they sleept last night and if the are in the mood for a nice morning ride to a flower & garden show... in fact that's the tone of voice I will use, talk to them like they were a flower... Oh heck! I just realized I have nothing pink to wear in my closet.. or wardrobe I should say!!

Oh my, Oh my....

I feel a bit revolted right now!!

Please let us now (with pics if possible) about the condition of the parts that were removed. Your are absolutely right in wanting to check this out...

Wqit a second,,,,, no, no, no... see MillerTime there you are being aggresive again.

You're upsetting the service advisor there at the dealership (sin of sins!!!).. and that remark about dings and dents... what could you possible be implying!!!

All the dealerships are zealots about caring for their customers priced vehicles while in their custody, are they not?? How dare you!!!!!

My friend I think your have an attitude problem.. you should trade in your car... for a VW Bettlee.. painted in low Lemon or mild Yellow.

Best of luck with that dealership service dept!!!

The Flash
Old 10-23-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
96/10SS

cool good to know because the other day i was taking off at a light an as i release the clutch at the contact point it stayed down an started burning the clutch a little. instead of releasing all the way like normal.
Old 10-23-2010, 04:48 PM   #13
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flash View Post
With all due respect to your opinion SC2150 that's not the problem: the problem was already indicated by MillerTime dealership's technician: the problem is Mr. MillerTime "is an aggressive driver".

Yeaph.... that's the thing!!! See Millertime???!!!

You are mistaken in your choice of car... you should have bought a real car with a real tranny so you can drive it in the real world like a real man.

The "regional guy" (regional service manager I assume) does not know what he is talking about, the technician is the guy with the knowledge, he's got the pulse on your situation.

Well pardon for writing so much..I'll just go out to my garage now and talk softly and nicely to my cars, especially to EXCELSIOR (my CAMARO), asking how they sleept last night and if the are in the mood for a nice morning ride to a flower & garden show... in fact that's the tone of voice I will use, talk to them like they were a flower... Oh heck! I just realized I have nothing pink to wear in my closet.. or wardrobe I should say!!

Oh my, Oh my....

I feel a bit revolted right now!!

Please let us now (with pics if possible) about the condition of the parts that were removed. Your are absolutely right in wanting to check this out...

Wqit a second,,,,, no, no, no... see MillerTime there you are being aggresive again.

You're upsetting the service advisor there at the dealership (sin of sins!!!).. and that remark about dings and dents... what could you possible be implying!!!

All the dealerships are zealots about caring for their customers priced vehicles while in their custody, are they not?? How dare you!!!!!

My friend I think your have an attitude problem.. you should trade in your car... for a VW Bettlee.. painted in low Lemon or mild Yellow.

Best of luck with that dealership service dept!!!

The Flash
I LMFAO!!

2G1FS1EWXD9163847

Old 10-23-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
MillerTime
Blowin the doors off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96/10SS View Post
cool good to know because the other day i was taking off at a light an as i release the clutch at the contact point it stayed down an started burning the clutch a little. instead of releasing all the way like normal.
I would document it and take it in. Every time it does it take it in and eventually they will look at it.

2G1FS1EWXD9163847