Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 08-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #1
GRYGUSS
Winner

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS LS3
Can you run a turbo system with long tubes?

Can you run a turbo with long tube headers? Have not been able to find a clear answer.........any input would be great!
GRYGUSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Txmxracer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28
You technically can. It would have to be a custom turbo system that mounts the turbos somewhere in the exhaust after the header collector. Something like the STS turbo system.
But most (if not all) aftermarket companies utilize the stock exhaust manifolds, because they work properly with most people's power goals. When you exceed the limits of the stock manifold, most companies build a custom exhaust manifold for your car.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:21 PM   #3
Revolution
Owner of RRW

Drives: 12 ZL1 A6 white and 64 nova ss
It can be done.. but not in the way I would think you would picture it.. Obviously before the turbo the pressure and temperature are way up. Meaning your traditional long tubes.. say you were to use a set of kooks and re route them to drive a turbo. More than likely over time you will start splitting the tubing at any welds simply because off the shelf headers are not intended for that kind of heat or pressure. Rear mount STS style.. which I would not recommend to anyone you might speed up the air getting to the turbos at the rear of the car but you won't gain any power because you loose all that heat going though a thin wall header versus a cast manifold.

If you use a header in combination with a turbo say a race style setup you are going to use a heavier grade stainless material and design it to give optimum flow to the turbo itself. They have their benefits but again this wouldn't be something I would consider a bolt on or simple setup.

Just my .02
Old 08-03-2011, 02:22 PM   #4
GRYGUSS
Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txmxracer View Post
You technically can. It would have to be a custom turbo system that mounts the turbos somewhere in the exhaust after the header collector. Something like the STS turbo system.
But most (if not all) aftermarket companies utilize the stock exhaust manifolds, because they work properly with most people's power goals. When you exceed the limits of the stock manifold, most companies build a custom exhaust manifold for your car.
I read up on the STS system. Seems like people either love it or hate it. I ve been building and planning twards a Maggie but after researching the newer turbo systems, Im rethinking the direction i wanna go. Im looking to get in the 550-575 rwhp range. The "parasitic" nature of a SC is something i never thought much about. The fact the turbos run off the exhaust and not the engine is a great advantage..IMO.
Old 08-03-2011, 02:27 PM   #5
GRYGUSS
Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolution View Post
It can be done.. but not in the way I would think you would picture it.. Obviously before the turbo the pressure and temperature are way up. Meaning your traditional long tubes.. say you were to use a set of kooks and re route them to drive a turbo. More than likely over time you will start splitting the tubing at any welds simply because off the shelf headers are not intended for that kind of heat or pressure. Rear mount STS style.. which I would not recommend to anyone you might speed up the air getting to the turbos at the rear of the car but you won't gain any power because you loose all that heat going though a thin wall header versus a cast manifold.

If you use a header in combination with a turbo say a race style setup you are going to use a heavier grade stainless material and design it to give optimum flow to the turbo itself. They have their benefits but again this wouldn't be something I would consider a bolt on or simple setup.

Just my .02
Was affaid of that. Well if I dont hear any other ideas Ill continue plans for a Maggie. Thank you for the imput!
Old 08-03-2011, 02:31 PM   #6
Txmxracer

Drives: 69 Camaro Z/28
Revolution's answer is much better than mine.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:49 PM   #7
carbon8

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS,2008 Hayabusa
do you already have long tubes.
carbon8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
Synner

Drives: cars
I'm sure it'd be very easy to find someone willing to trade their stock manifolds plus cash for your headers if you have your heart set on turbos. I wouldn't compromise on a 10k investment or you'll always be kicking yourself for it if thats what you really wanted.
Synner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
GRYGUSS
Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbon8 View Post
do you already have long tubes.
Yep. American Racing.....
Old 08-03-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Well, the turbo and maggie are two completely different types of power.

If you want to go the turbo route, but want to keep your headers, maybe look into a centrifugal supercharger. Similar power bands as turbo's.
Old 08-03-2011, 10:02 PM   #11
Kenny_Powers
You're F!@king out!!!

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
I'm pretty sure you would be able to find someone to buy your headers on the classifieds for this forum in a couple of days. If you still have the stock manifolds its a simple reattachment and you are good to go with turbos.

What turbo system are you thinking about going with. I ask because I'm currently looking at turbo's as well and wanted to see the direction some other turbo guys are going. I've been leaning towards the Hellion TT Kit.
Kenny_Powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 10:11 PM   #12
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
would have to be a custom header...going to cost a pretty penny and wont be effective like a true long tube.
2LT/RS M6 CGM VIN#53104 SOLD

2012 Black 2SS/RS w/ Hurst-

Mods:
Corsa catback, SSE, Vararam
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 05:30 PM   #13
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRYGUSS View Post
Yep. American Racing.....
Turbos want exhaust heat and velocity, just what long tubes would kill. That is why when able they attach close to the exhaust stream. Plus you need to recirculate oil, water, and scavenge oil if turbo is lower than the oil pan. Plus all the tubing to and from motor plus intercooler with water recirc and on and on. Maggie is simple bolt on with a tune in a day or two. When you sell your car you can remove and sell. More time consuming with turbos. Good Luck
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
speedster
SST...

Drives: SST Camaro 2010
Kinda hard to see, but those are "long tube" headers made to drive a turbo. You can just see them peeking out under the "bigger" exhaust pipe.

If you were talking about maintaining purchased long tube headers then listen to Revolution - they will not like the added heat and pressure if you were to use low mount turbos.

Just my <.02