Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-02-2012, 12:36 AM   #1
ArmoSS

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Went From CAI to Vararam? Thoughts please

I currently have a CAI intake on my LS3, and although the sound is nice, I'm not sure how much HP / TQ I've gained. I've had it for over 6 months now and I'm not too impressed. The more I read about Vararam, the more I feel that it has the types of gains I'm looking for. Cosmetically, the CAI is much better looking, but just in terms of finish, quality, and most importantly, the true numbers...I'm looking for feedback.

Any thoughts from previous CAI / current Vararam owners is much appreciated.
ArmoSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #2
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
This is going to get interesting.

The main problem I see is that you can't really do a TRUE head to head test because the VR doesn't dyno well at all. NO ONE has been able to reproduce anywhere near the numbers that VR says are dyno numbers. I've heard they extrapolate the HP numbers by the 1/4mile times difference, yet their website plainly says dyno proven. I will say their followers are loyal and really seem to love them. So, unless you are great at drag racing and can duplicate your runs over and over, there's no real way to compare them that doesn't involve a SOP meter. If you're not happy, sell your CAI and get a VR unit.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:12 AM   #3
ArmoSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
This is going to get interesting.

The main problem I see is that you can't really do a TRUE head to head test because the VR doesn't dyno well at all. NO ONE has been able to reproduce anywhere near the numbers that VR says are dyno numbers. I've heard they extrapolate the HP numbers by the 1/4mile times difference, yet their website plainly says dyno proven. I will say their followers are loyal and really seem to love them. So, unless you are great at drag racing and can duplicate your runs over and over, there's no real way to compare them that doesn't involve a SOP meter. If you're not happy, sell your CAI and get a VR unit.
I think you're right that it can get interesting. And, I should have been more careful cause I don't want to start a "loyalty" war. I actually truly want to know which one "feels" more powerful, faster, higher output...without actually the numbers to back it up. I haven't done a dyno on my CAI, so I can't truly say what it has or has not done. But, I do know that the car didn't feel much different...it only sounded different. So I guess I'm wanting a non-statistical answer from people who have "felt" both, because the constant there is the same person, and the intake is the variable (not to get all scientific), so I would assume the answers should be sufficient if you'd had both to compare to first-hand.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:30 AM   #4
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Put on the adm scoop for the Cold Air Inductions. Numbers jump up pretty good. Here are some dyno numbers of different cai: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VE&hl=en#gid=0

This information was provided by Janetty Racing (sp?)
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:36 AM   #5
Toyaholic
It's a sickness!

Drives: '69 442 Vert
I noticed smoother low speed driving (in traffic or parking lots) with the VaraRam, over stock. Seems more responsive, but the track numbers haven't changed. Haven't tried any others, so maybe they all help drivability.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:29 AM   #6
ArmoSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by rberns View Post
Put on the adm scoop for the Cold Air Inductions. Numbers jump up pretty good. Here are some dyno numbers of different cai: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...VE&hl=en#gid=0

This information was provided by Janetty Racing (sp?)
I actually do have the ADM scoop as well, which is why I was unpleasantly surprised after I installed both the scoop and CAI after having reviewed those JRE numbers.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:31 AM   #7
dshep214

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2ssRS Ls3
Quit worrying about small hp gain from intakes an get a tune and ss
Headers. Then feel the power.
Plus have u done the fuse pulls yet?
Old 02-02-2012, 02:48 AM   #8
ArmoSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshep214 View Post
Quit worrying about small hp gain from intakes an get a tune and ss
Headers. Then feel the power.
Plus have u done the fuse pulls yet?
I'm not worrying about it, but thanks for your great insight. I'm trying to figure out if the Vararam is a better buy for my money compared to the CAI from people who have experienced both. When the time is right, I'll do those other things, but for now, if I'm gonna spend $400 - $500, I'd rather it be well-spent. And yes, fuse pull done as well, and MAF changed to a "better" one.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:40 AM   #9
Brolik10
BLOWN!!!

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS
You will need a tune to get the full impact of the VR... My mass air flow went up two full points once I switched over from the roto-fab.. It's all in the tune..
I can't speak to the drivability because I had mine installed with a cam install. But the data logging showed a huge increase in the air flow...
Old 02-02-2012, 07:01 AM   #10
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmoSS View Post
I currently have a CAI intake on my LS3, and although the sound is nice, I'm not sure how much HP / TQ I've gained. I've had it for over 6 months now and I'm not too impressed. The more I read about Vararam, the more I feel that it has the types of gains I'm looking for. Cosmetically, the CAI is much better looking, but just in terms of finish, quality, and most importantly, the true numbers...I'm looking for feedback.

Any thoughts from previous CAI / current Vararam owners is much appreciated.
Bee there done that. And so has another long time member that I loaned my Vararam too.

I don't care about numbers, since they don't apply to the streets where my car lives. But I like many others, hear the VR doesn't show what it's all about on a dyno, and it's more about getting up to speed at the track that it shines. There is a couple of guys with VR tack numbers, perhaps they will how up.

My WOT LTFTs B1/B2, with the mods shown and no tune, are 0/-0.7 to -1.5

And yeah the question opens a can of worms. Most that will answer will have neither intake you asked about or haven't tried both. Aside from the VR and the feel of it, which I like, I ran a Halltech tube and filter mounted in a Roto-Fab box with an ADM scoop. This combo with the mods below dyno'd 403/401. CAI with scoop may be close.

She is only memory now.

Last edited by IndeedSS1; 02-02-2012 at 07:24 AM.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 07:37 AM   #11
sschevybear11

Drives: 2011 Black 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyaholic View Post
I noticed smoother low speed driving (in traffic or parking lots) with the VaraRam, over stock. Seems more responsive, but the track numbers haven't changed. Haven't tried any others, so maybe they all help drivability.
This is exactly what I experienced! To the T but my track times in cooler air were about a tenth slower with the vararam over stock. I sold it.
Now: Coated Dynatech LT's/!Cats/Hurst Shifter/Roto-fab/SLP SS badges/JRE 415HP Tune, Scoop & Washer Relocation Bottle,Hurst Stunner 20X9 Wheels, Moroso Catch Can, ASP pulley, Magnaflow X-pipe, GTO remote clutch reservoir
1989 Silver 5.0 Mustang LX Coupe
1999 Pewter Tahoe LT
2011 Blue Camry SE
sschevybear11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:48 AM   #12
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
This may help.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...=vararam+track

and this

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...hlight=vararam

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 08:58 AM   #13
Ravener

Drives: 2010 2SS RS M6 Blk
I installed the V-ram back in August of last year. I wanted to hate it since I personally think it's a tad on the bland side looks-wise and had wanted to go the flashy route (against my better pure performance mindset...). It was a 95+ degree day (smoke choked due to a burning swamp not too far away no less) and it was evident that improved low rpm response and pull were present (understanding that I expected zero change as the units typically are said to require roughly 100 miles for the 'puter to adjust for). I've used CAI, Volant and Haltech...all terrific units and very good quality. None provide the same pull or response as Vararam. I'm not a fanboi since I'd prefer a more "attractive" piece to dress up the bay but I can not deny the performance gain felt. Did pick up .23 at the track over CAI (average over 4 runs same night with near identical conditions as when I ran with CAI installed). Vararam is lower quality in construction, but simply provides an undeniable performance benfit attributed to the straight shot airflow direct from the cooler air drawn from the front of the car. You'll be pleased with any of them, for me I stuck with what felt and performed best in comparison (street and strip).
Old 02-02-2012, 12:54 PM   #14
Toyaholic
It's a sickness!

Drives: '69 442 Vert
[QUOTE=Ravener;4416461]I'm not a fanboi since I'd prefer a more "attractive" piece to dress up the bay but I can not deny the performance gain felt. Did pick up .23 at the track QUOTE]

.23 at the track!! that's great. With the VR, must be some more torque there or at lower R's. I had to drop 2-300 rpms to get get traction.

There are things you can do to the VR to make it look a little better.