Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-14-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler

Drives: 2LT/RS RJT
Thumbs down 2LT RS with a bad Heater core. :(

Hey all. Just got the fantastic news. Barossa has a bad Heater core. Knew the smell was coming from somewhere. Got a pressure test done and no visible leaks from the engine bay....it's been warmish so I haven't used heat. Turned it on the other morning and wham, the smell grabbed me by my nostrils and almost dragged me to the floor. Then the giveaway sign of the fog on the passenger inside portion of the windshield. Happy fun wow.

NOt happy since to get at said offensive part, the WHOLE FREAKING DASH has to come out. Lucky my tech is top notch and will take care of my baby well but I'm afraid of the possible squeaks and rattles that are difficult to avoid regardless of the care taken.

I tried a search and came up with nothing, but I am a tad on the technologically challenged side...muahaha. Anyone else had an issue with their LLT like this so far?
Old 04-14-2011, 02:15 PM   #2
Juice81

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I had the heater core replaced on my SS a couple months ago. Same thing happened. They ended up giving me a new windshield (small crack near the edge) because they had to take it off to get to the heater core.
Juice81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:27 PM   #3
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler

What??!!! OMG. I'll have to ask the foreman about that. ( I work at my dealer luckily) Ugh. scary.
Old 04-14-2011, 04:10 PM   #4
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
blkngldbabe, could you keep us up on what happens with the dealership? Thank you.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 07:54 AM   #5
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler

Will do. I ordered the part yesterday and its shipping out of Lansing. 3-5 days to us. I have a rental car booked as apparently it's going to be a long haul to do. My concern is the sublet guys that remove the windshield may chip some paint with the removal wire and just urethane over it before the re-install so I'll have rust and possible leak issues down the road. Luckily my tech will inspect before and get possible chips touched up before the glass goes back in. Anyone else who gets this done, I'd suggest asking about this.
Old 04-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
TooCool5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LS 3.6 LLT V6 325 HP
A few people have had this done already.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ht=heater+core
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93274

Franky I'm not happy with the way GM designed the heater core. Windshield removal is over the top, for any repair and beyond the do it yourself repair when the 3 yr warranty runs out.
Big labor hrs at the dealer also.

Could you ask your tech what is making the heater cores go?

Last edited by TooCool5; 04-20-2011 at 07:58 AM.
TooCool5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 07:35 PM   #7
egad09

Drives: 2010 CGM 1SS Camaro
I had mine replaced as well.

The dash and windshield come out. My dealer ordered a new windshield as precaution after removing it instead of reapplying the same one. NO issues to date from the repair **knock on wood**

Not happy it happened. And not happy of the extensive repair process. Once the part came in it was a 2 1/2 day process. They did tear down on afternoon and then the repair and began reinstalling everything. Finished the 3rd morning and had a new windshield put in and out the door I went (with that smell lurking for some time ...)
Old 04-20-2011, 07:41 PM   #8
ckaram

Drives: 2011 2SS RS, 1968 ragtop
Wow, with the dash and windshield out, maybe you should install HUD in you RJT beauty!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:37 AM   #9
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler

IT WOULD be a great time to do that, but I've never been a big fan of the HUD. That being said, I work in parts and the shop is right in front of me. I'm currently watching the glass guys taking my babys windshield out. :(.. I'm sad. Poor Barossa.
Old 04-21-2011, 03:52 PM   #10
SQUALO

Drives: CHEVROLET
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkngldbabe View Post
IT WOULD be a great time to do that, but I've never been a big fan of the HUD. That being said, I work in parts and the shop is right in front of me. I'm currently watching the glass guys taking my babys windshield out. :(.. I'm sad. Poor Barossa.
Good luck with the repair, but I'm sure you're in good hands, and the guys will take care of your car.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:58 AM   #11
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler

MY guy will be doing the repairs thankfully. As well as the foreman. I'm glad someone who will take their time and make sure that squeaks and rattles won't be an issue will be doing the work. Boooo for having a rental over the Easter weekend though, and boo since it was almost twenty degrees yesterday and I had a base Impala to drive. NOthing wrong with Impalas but man...so not the same or even close.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:07 PM   #12
Dameon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I had mine replaced April of 2010. Dealer told me , at that time, that mine was the only one in the country to have that problem. It had a small pin hole in the middle of the core. They had to send pics of the core out.
Dameon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 04:14 PM   #13
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by blkngldbabe View Post
MY guy will be doing the repairs thankfully. As well as the foreman. I'm glad someone who will take their time and make sure that squeaks and rattles won't be an issue will be doing the work. Boooo for having a rental over the Easter weekend though, and boo since it was almost twenty degrees yesterday and I had a base Impala to drive. NOthing wrong with Impalas but man...so not the same or even close.
You are lucky to have someone you trust to do the work, most of us aren't as fortunate...
Old 04-25-2011, 03:41 PM   #14
blkngldbabe
Barossa's handler

It's very true. One of the perks of working at a dealership is getting to know the techs and who is more inclined or certain jobs. It's a huge pain apparently. I'm off this week but I know the job pays something like 4.6 hours and at three the heater case wast even out of it yet. Poor guy is going to lose his shirt.