Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

View Poll Results: Are you happy witht he design of the temp/audio controls
Yes I love them, wouldnt change a thing 44 25.58%
They are a bit wierd, but I can live with it 64 37.21%
No, I hope that they are changed before the car is released 49 28.49%
A real man dosent need a radio, all we need is a gas petal, and a steering wheel 15 8.72%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-07-2008, 05:35 PM   #71
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Either I just found a time machine or we have a zombie thread from the dead.

Everything isn't retro. I wouldn't categorize an HID option or the GMPP ground effects kit we've seen as a product of the past. Chevrolet has taken cues from past Camaros, especially the first generation, and brought about a new Camaro. Even the badges aren't classic. We won't be getting cursive Chevrolet badges or even the old, round SS badges with which we are familiar. It is a modern car with a classic heritage.

The possibility of a future navigation system is pretty real, but OnStar can give turn-by-turn directions if that's really important. You can always get a Garmin.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 07:10 PM   #72
ucla1ove3

Drives: soon to be 2010 CAMARO :]
i like nav systems. just not on sports cars and muscle cars, especially not on an american classic like the Camaro. I like it more on like cars like the Lincoln MKX. that cars tech. is pretty legit and works for it.
ucla1ove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 08:33 PM   #73
Eich

Drives: '11 SW/Beige 2SS RS Manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
Everything isn't retro.
The only excuse I can come up with for that radio / HVAC control center is RETRO. Otherwise, I can't see any designer / engineer making it look like that.

The exterior of this car could not possibly be more beautiful. They 100% nailed it. It should appeal to a huge number of people. To keep that appeal satisfying to a mass market, the interior needs to hold up it's part of the deal and it has a LOT of competition in the market. There are a lot of car manufacturers that have figured out how to make very appealing interiors. Even Chevy has done it with the Malibu. I don't know why they felt like the radio / HVAC controls in the Camaro needed to look like that. People are comfortable with a typical double-dinn head unit, which Chevrolet already offers in the Corvette and it looks great. Why reinvent that wheel ?
Eich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 10:21 PM   #74
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eich View Post
The only excuse I can come up with for that radio / HVAC control center is RETRO. Otherwise, I can't see any designer / engineer making it look like that.

The exterior of this car could not possibly be more beautiful. They 100% nailed it. It should appeal to a huge number of people. To keep that appeal satisfying to a mass market, the interior needs to hold up it's part of the deal and it has a LOT of competition in the market. There are a lot of car manufacturers that have figured out how to make very appealing interiors. Even Chevy has done it with the Malibu. I don't know why they felt like the radio / HVAC controls in the Camaro needed to look like that. People are comfortable with a typical double-dinn head unit, which Chevrolet already offers in the Corvette and it looks great. Why reinvent that wheel ?
I think, mostly...there was a quest for uniquness. For instance, me personally: Though I love the Malibu, and the G8 interiors...I want something different. The Camaro's interior, by taking cues from "then" (gauge pods, and 4-pack) and translating them into "now", is VERY different. And to me; very appealing.

but the radio HVAC...where do you sense retro? Besides the '67 having two knobs...that's where all similarities end, imo.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:38 AM   #75
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
The possibility of a future navigation system is pretty real, but OnStar can give turn-by-turn directions if that's really important. You can always get a Garmin.
That might work for some people, but not everyone wants to pay $300 a year for a navigation system without a screen. Or want a small/tacky clip on deal. If you can't afford it thats one thing, but to expect everyone to have the same mentality is another.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:17 AM   #76
Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
I think, mostly...there was a quest for uniquness. For instance, me personally: Though I love the Malibu, and the G8 interiors...I want something different. The Camaro's interior, by taking cues from "then" (gauge pods, and 4-pack) and translating them into "now", is VERY different. And to me; very appealing.

but the radio HVAC...where do you sense retro? Besides the '67 having two knobs...that's where all similarities end, imo.
I think the "Retro" two knobs and the desire to keep the dash separate from the console is what drove the design of the radio/HVAC controls. The playstation-like HVAC controls are a decent concept gone bad.

I agree that it's nice to have an overall unique design in the interior. I just don't think this particular radio/HVAC design did the car any favors. Unique for the sake of unique isn't necessarily good. The interior would be unique enough if they had reused a head unit and HVAC controls from another successful car (Corvette) and just made minor changes to incorporate it into this interior.

It will be interesting to see how they integrate a true navigation unit in the future. I REALLY hope they don't try to build some gimmicky pop-up nav screen, attempting to keep a similar look to what they have now.
Old 09-08-2008, 10:53 AM   #77
Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucla1ove3 View Post
i like nav systems. just not on sports cars and muscle cars, especially not on an american classic like the Camaro. I like it more on like cars like the Lincoln MKX. that cars tech. is pretty legit and works for it.
Not sure I follow the logic. People use sports cars and muscle cars for more than just cruising around on the weekend. I'll be driving the Camaro daily to and from work.

If Nav shouldn't be in a sports car or muscle car, then why should an AUX input for an mp3 player be in there? Or a USB port for music ? Or XM Radio?

Many people want these conveniences in all their cars. It's become expected in this age and if the car is expected to appeal to a mass market, it needs to have mass market features.
Old 09-08-2008, 01:51 PM   #78
PA FAST
Future Camaro Driver.

Drives: 2009 Escape/2007 Ridgeline
Quote:
Not sure I follow the logic. People use sports cars and muscle cars for more than just cruising around on the weekend. I'll be driving the Camaro daily to and from work.

If Nav shouldn't be in a sports car or muscle car, then why should an AUX input for an mp3 player be in there? Or a USB port for music ? Or XM Radio?

Many people want these conveniences in all their cars. It's become expected in this age and if the car is expected to appeal to a mass market, it needs to have mass market features.
How do we get that message to the block heads that populate this
forum and others?
Old 09-08-2008, 02:37 PM   #79
Eich

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA FAST View Post
How do we get that message to the block heads that populate this
forum and others?
It appears that GM has the message, which is what really counts. There's plan to offer it and that's good enough for me. I just hope that it's implemented in a way that has mass market appeal in the way it looks.

The current design of the center stack looks to me like the group responsible was told that the design in the concept car was well liked - so come up with something you can actually build. What they came up with is the plastic, playstation controllers you see now, with a design that can't even be changed in the aftermarket. I think they can do a lot better and produce something that really looks good - ingoring retro and the concept all together.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:41 PM   #80
ucla1ove3

Quote:

I understand what you are saying. Your point differs just a little from the point I was ATTEMPTING to make. I agree with you completely on your points^^. I really hope they do have all the conveniences that everyone wants so that they can sell as many as possible. I love navigation systems as well. But...

I just personally do not want one on MINE. In my opinion I feel like the large screens may clutter the "dash" or area where the radio and stuff is.(used quotes because i am not sure if that part is also reffered to as the dash) And i want to keep the interior of MINE as neat and tidy as possible. Now as to my point on the MKX, I was just using this as an example because this car is more spacious so the screen would not clutter the car as much, hence my point about Sports/musle cars.. They are obviously smaller so IMO i feel that the screen may take up room on the interior... Just my opinion. If it was a pop up Nav. system like on the volvo S60 I would personally love to have it because when i wanted to use it i could have it up and when I did not need to use it and wanted the interior to look tidy i could have it hide away, you know?

As for the AUX, USB port etc.. I love these features and will have them on my Camaro because like you said it's a modern convenience. Sorry, I realize I could have worded my earlier post better to explain my point. But I hope this clarifies what I meant to say.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:24 PM   #81
Eich

Quote:
I understand what you are saying. Your point differs just a little from the point I was ATTEMPTING to make. I agree with you completely on your points^^. I really hope they do have all the conveniences that everyone wants so that they can sell as many as possible. I love navigation systems as well. But...

I just personally do not want one on MINE. In my opinion I feel like the large screens may clutter the "dash" or area where the radio and stuff is.(used quotes because i am not sure if that part is also reffered to as the dash) And i want to keep the interior of MINE as neat and tidy as possible. Now as to my point on the MKX, I was just using this as an example because this car is more spacious so the screen would not clutter the car as much, hence my point about Sports/musle cars.. They are obviously smaller so IMO i feel that the screen may take up room on the interior... Just my opinion. If it was a pop up Nav. system like on the volvo S60 I would personally love to have it because when i wanted to use it i could have it up and when I did not need to use it and wanted the interior to look tidy i could have it hide away, you know?

As for the AUX, USB port etc.. I love these features and will have them on my Camaro because like you said it's a modern convenience. Sorry, I realize I could have worded my earlier post better to explain my point. But I hope this clarifies what I meant to say.

No sweat. I smell what you're steppin' in

I don't like pop up screens at all. I want the option to have the nav screen to be a reverse camera screen as well. Don't need that thing popping up and down every time I go into reverse.

To me, the most attractive interiors I've seen (Benz, Lexus, Audi) have had permanent Nav screens incorporated. Even my wife's Ford Edge has a wonderfully integrated double-dinn head unit / nav.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:48 PM   #82
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I still like the dash, personally. The only thing I could have a problem with is I LOVE dual-zone climate control. I can't live without it on a DD. I guess that would be a problem if this was going to be my DD but that would really be the only change I'd still make. Who knows? It could change more by the time we see it again at Indy'...

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2008, 10:15 PM   #83
ucla1ove3

Eich yeah i like those interiors too. but i just want simplicity and tidiness with my interior so if anything i would get the pop up and down one. i like them.... so to each his own, eh?
Old 09-09-2008, 11:21 AM   #84
Eich

Quote:
Eich yeah i like those interiors too. but i just want simplicity and tidiness with my interior so if anything i would get the pop up and down one. i like them.... so to each his own, eh?
Yep - to each his own.

Honestly, the center stack area of the Camaro has grown on my a little. Overall, I like the interior and I can probably live with the Radio/HVAC controls. But when I first saw them, I went UGHHHH. I hope that the car's mass appeal doesn't suffer when others see that part of the interior as well.

I'm still amazed at how damn good the exterior is. I've yet to find one person, even a Ford fanatic, that doesn't like the way this car looks. I've had Corvettes for years until the birth of our daughter 2 years ago. And I honestly think this Camaro looks as good or better than the 'Vette. Can't wait to see it in person.