Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 09-16-2014, 09:20 AM   #1639
RGRCamaro

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Normagene View Post
Hmm, any particular reason no on the first. From all the reviews it's rated really well, and some of the shirts can actually be prescribed by a doctor to help off set the cost. He's an Old Fart so his posture does need some help/work.

The Rage Shirt, well he's flat on the bench, no arch, and he lofts solely for exercise and he enjoys lifting. Never will he compete or anything like that, works out by himself cause he likes it quiet.

His elbows are straight out to the sides, not tucked in at all, and pretty straight up. He has metal stands set at chest height so he can't get crushed, for safety since he's by himself. I think he works out with 260 or so. More when he uses his Slingshot contraption.

Does the Rage Shirt do something similar to the slingshot? I read the description and it didn't give too much detail on exactly what/how it does.

If you need more info let me know incase I missed something. Like I said though, it's just something he enjoys, a good workout calms him.

I would say unless he is competing for a bench press competition then you don't need it. Especially if he is working out just to remain healthy and and get some exercise, not really concerned bout hitting a "certain number" or trying to compete. Best bet is to stay natural and not rely on too much additional help (I.E. bench shirts, weight belts, etc...) unless a prior condition requires it. Just IMO, everyone has different beliefs.

RGRCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:18 AM   #1640
Normagene

Drives: 2013 Ashen Gray M6 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RGRCamaro View Post
I would say unless he is competing for a bench press competition then you don't need it. Especially if he is working out just to remain healthy and and get some exercise, not really concerned bout hitting a "certain number" or trying to compete. Best bet is to stay natural and not rely on too much additional help (I.E. bench shirts, weight belts, etc...) unless a prior condition requires it. Just IMO, everyone has different beliefs.

I hear ya. I thought it provided safety as a key factor. Helping you stay in good form, thereby preventing an injury. It's not a lot of money so I thought he might like to use it like one day a week, maybe to try and up his weight or reps.

The Posture shirt is all day wear. Helps keep you aligned and correct poor posture. If you start to get a sore back by the end of the day it's usually due to bad posture.

I agree "he doesn't need it" but what do you get someone who has everything they already want? I think he would use it so it wouldn't just be a waste of money. And if it keeps him safer and less likely to get an injury, that's a plus.
Normagene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:51 AM   #1641
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Drives: 2011, 2SS/RS, Synergy
Quote:
Let me first say....the main reason why people "gear up" is to lift more weight. That being said, like Normagene put it below, a certain amount of safety is also provided by lifting in gear. It keeps things "tight".

Hidekai Inaba (use google if you don't know who that is) once said when interviewed that if "gear" would have been out when he was lifting he could have lifted til he was 100 provided he lived that long. (He still lifted for a long, long time).

Quote:
I hear ya. I thought it provided safety as a key factor. Helping you stay in good form, thereby preventing an injury. It's not a lot of money so I thought he might like to use it like one day a week, maybe to try and up his weight or reps.

The Posture shirt is all day wear. Helps keep you aligned and correct poor posture. If you start to get a sore back by the end of the day it's usually due to bad posture.

I agree "he doesn't need it" but what do you get someone who has everything they already want? I think he would use it so it wouldn't just be a waste of money. And if it keeps him safer and less likely to get an injury, that's a plus.
Quote:
Hmm, any particular reason no on the first. From all the reviews it's rated really well, and some of the shirts can actually be prescribed by a doctor to help off set the cost. He's an Old Fart so his posture does need some help/work.

The Rage Shirt, well he's flat on the bench, no arch, and he lofts solely for exercise and he enjoys lifting. Never will he compete or anything like that, works out by himself cause he likes it quiet.

His elbows are straight out to the sides, not tucked in at all, and pretty straight up. He has metal stands set at chest height so he can't get crushed, for safety since he's by himself. I think he works out with 260 or so. More when he uses his Slingshot contraption.

Does the Rage Shirt do something similar to the slingshot? I read the description and it didn't give too much detail on exactly what/how it does.

If you need more info let me know incase I missed something. Like I said though, it's just something he enjoys, a good workout calms him.
Oh sorry I was saying no never tried it.

Yes a bench shirt will do something like a slingshot only to a greater degree. It will also provide more stability, especially in the shoulder joint.

But if he has never lifted in one before the Rage is probably "too much shirt". For his first shirt, and based on how you describe he benches, I'd buy him this....

http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?P...ID=02_HD_BLAST

And when it comes in take some scissors and cut a slit up the back from top to bottom. This will allow him to get into the shirt by himself, but also allow him to get more out of the shirt as he progresses by pulling the shirt down further on his chest and using his belt to "lock" the shirt in place.

2011 Camaro SS/RS Synergy-1 of 255-Sold
You will be missed but you are in good hands!

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Mydivorcegift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #1642
RGRCamaro

I see your point. Just me personally, while it might help keep better "form" your muscles are also being handicapped by a device, so therefore while you are maintaining better "Form" your supplemental muscles and joints are not being strengthed at the same rate as your main movers are, in this case, your chest is growing at a faster rate than your shoulders, back, and elbows as a result of those muscles/joints being aided.

This is not a problem if you plan on wearing a bench shirt EVERY lift, but if you try to lift without one, you will notice much more instability at higher lifts.

I am not familiar with Hidekai, but, I can assure you that he could have lifted just as long without a bench shirt, granted he did not sacrifice his form too much when going heavier.

This is a generality though, guys like Ronnie Coleman at 300lb contest weights are going to have bad joints no matter what just from the sheer weight they carry.

Now, if you do lift with a bench shirt, then remember to focus on the supplementals without one also, then you SHOULD be fine. I would just rather my entire body grow at the same rate simulataneously without handicapping.

Old 09-16-2014, 12:37 PM   #1643
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
I see your point. Just me personally, while it might help keep better "form" your muscles are also being handicapped by a device, so therefore while you are maintaining better "Form" your supplemental muscles and joints are not being strengthed at the same rate as your main movers are, in this case, your chest is growing at a faster rate than your shoulders, back, and elbows as a result of those muscles/joints being aided.

This is not a problem if you plan on wearing a bench shirt EVERY lift, but if you try to lift without one, you will notice much more instability at higher lifts.

I am not familiar with Hidekai, but, I can assure you that he could have lifted just as long without a bench shirt, granted he did not sacrifice his form too much when going heavier.

This is a generality though, guys like Ronnie Coleman at 300lb contest weights are going to have bad joints no matter what just from the sheer weight they carry.

Now, if you do lift with a bench shirt, then remember to focus on the supplementals without one also, then you SHOULD be fine. I would just rather my entire body grow at the same rate simulataneously without handicapping.
Have you ever lifted "in gear" for any period of time? Meaning years? I take it from your first two paragraphs the answer is no. I have....for over 20 years. And those that have still grow (this too as you would say is a generality....Hidekai lifted in the 123lb weight class his entire career but he'd be an exception not a rule)....I've gone from the 132lb weight class to the 198lb weight class over those years.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 09-16-2014, 12:59 PM   #1644
RGRCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
Have you ever lifted "in gear" for any period of time? Meaning years? I take it from your first two paragraphs the answer is no. I have....for over 20 years. And those that have still grow (this too as you would say is a generality....Hidekai lifted in the 123lb weight class his entire career but he'd be an exception not a rule)....I've gone from the 132lb weight class to the 198lb weight class over those years.

I did not say you wouldn't grow, just your supplementals/joints would not grow at the same rate as your primary movers.

This is where I expressed concern as he is lifting for a different reason than you are, and "imbalances" in muscles can/do cause injuries all the time.

As I stated, if he is going to "compete" as you cleary have, then he sould use it, if he is going for "certain numbers" again as I said. However, if he is lifting purely for exercise and staying healthy, then I said he probably didn't need it.

I come from an athletic/functional background, this is why joints concern me. I am young 22 years old with 5 years of lifting under my belt.

Started lifting at 17ish years old 155lbs, at 6'2. I am currently 215 lbs at 6'3 a 8%-10% body fat.

I have competed and won in multiple sports (Soccer, Rugby, various forms of martial arts) my entire life.

I am also tested and classified as an "Elite" (Highest) level athlete by Under Armour and their C360 Combine training, which requires to be tested by a professional coach certified in their training.

Definitley do not have the years of powerlifting experience that you have, but I do know the importance of joints and their functional use, which is the only part I referenced in my statements. "supplemental/joints" again for remaining healthy, not competing. All with the caveat that it is my personal opinion, as their are many different opinoins, experts, and training styles out there.

Old 09-16-2014, 01:04 PM   #1645
Normagene

Hey thanks for all the input.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:11 PM   #1646
RGRCamaro

Quote:
Hey thanks for all the input.
No problem! Good Luck!

Old 09-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #1647
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
I did not say you wouldn't grow, just your supplementals/joints would not grow at the same rate as your primary movers.

This is where I expressed concern as he is lifting for a different reason than you are, and "imbalances" in muscles can/do cause injuries all the time.

As I stated, if he is going to "compete" as you cleary have, then he sould use it, if he is going for "certain numbers" again as I said. However, if he is lifting purely for exercise and staying healthy, then I said he probably didn't need it.

I come from an athletic/functional background, this is why joints concern me. I am young 22 years old with 5 years of lifting under my belt.

Started lifting at 17ish years old 155lbs, at 6'2. I am currently 215 lbs at 6'3 a 8%-10% body fat.

I have competed and won in multiple sports (Soccer, Rugby, various forms of martial arts) my entire life.

I am also tested and classified as an "Elite" (Highest) level athlete by Under Armour and their C360 Combine training, which requires to be tested by a professional coach certified in their training.

Definitley do not have the years of powerlifting experience that you have, but I do know the importance of joints and their functional use, which is the only part I referenced in my statements. "supplemental/joints" again for remaining healthy, not competing. All with the caveat that it is my personal opinion, as their are many different opinoins, experts, and training styles out there.
You have a great athletic "pedigree"! Congrats! However this does not "qualify" you to speak about bench shirts, how they work, what is trained. Again if you had spent anytime in them you would know that what you are stating is actually false.

A bench shirt is designed to aid the weight off your chest (where your chest is doing the work). As the weight goes up the effect of the shirt is lessened. So, in truth, your chest works less and your shoulders and especially the triceps will have to work more and get stronger to lock the weight out.

I'm NOT in disagreement with you about muscular/joint imbalances and the problems that they create but a bench shirt won't cause this. Things like doing 500 reps for abs and 30 for your low back will. Doing a million curls and triceps as an afterthought are 2 of the biggest "problems" I see with most training causing imbalances.

Me at 18 (don't laugh)...I was 132 at the time. At this time I was lifting in my very first Inzer standard blast shirt....was doing 275ish about this time....

Me at 42....this pic I'm 208 which is what I walk around at....I can throw my double denim Inzer shirt any day of the week and do 500.....

IMHO my ugly ass has grown proportionate over these 24 years.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 09-16-2014, 02:34 PM   #1648
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Normagene buy him the shirt....he will have fun it it

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody
Old 09-16-2014, 02:47 PM   #1649
Normagene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mydivorcegift View Post
Normagene buy him the shirt....he will have fun it it

Yeah thanks for your input. I'm going to get the one you recommended instead of The Rage Shirt. And it's half the price to boot! I'm sure he'll enjoy using it, he really enjoys exercising. Oh, and he loves the Slingshot I got him so he'll probably enjoy this even more!
Again, thanks.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:53 PM   #1650
RGRCamaro

@Mydivorcegift

I see your point. I am just biased towards them as I was trained to stay away from things that handicap your performance as you will be unable to use these during times of performance (Sports) and will keep from influencing un-natural "imbalances" This include weight belts, knee wraps, etc..

Last Winter (the times I change from more hypertrophic training to more strength/powerlifting) at 6'3 210lbs I hit 310lbs on bench, 455lbs on Squat, and 465lbs on deadlift. All of them natural without any handicaps or assisting clothing/belts. While these aren't exactly "impressive" numbers, for only 4 years of lifting, starting at 155lbs, and a very tall frame (stupid long arms) and staying 100% natural (No pro growth hormones, steroidal, or any testosterone boosting supplements) I think I've done alright in the bodybuilding/powerlifting world too. Can't wait for another 4 years.

Old 09-16-2014, 03:36 PM   #1651
Normagene

Ordered! The HD Blast Shirt! Oh, and I ordered one size up, instead of 52 I went with a 54, since he's by himself I want him to be able to wrestle his way into it on his own. I'm sure hubby will love it. Being the Old Fart that he is, it's all about Safety Safety Safety! You just don't heal as well or as fast the older you get. So my number one concern is his well being. Copied below from website description of bench shirt:

"It is easy to learn the proper use of bench shirts in the design of the HD Blast. It is also used by advanced powerlifters. Used by many as a great aid in injury prevention and healling while still training."

That above statement pretty much sold me. The fact that he works out alone, no spotter, I like the idea of anything that will help him keep proper form and reduce the chance of injury.

He is, for the first time, trying to add some mass. Been workout for 30+ yrs, but now he wants to go a little heavier. So my main concern is that he doesn't get hurt.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:12 PM   #1652
Mydivorcegift
Future Mopar Owner

Quote:
@Mydivorcegift

I see your point. I am just biased towards them as I was trained to stay away from things that handicap your performance as you will be unable to use these during times of performance (Sports) and will keep from influencing un-natural "imbalances" This include weight belts, knee wraps, etc..

Last Winter (the times I change from more hypertrophic training to more strength/powerlifting) at 6'3 210lbs I hit 310lbs on bench, 455lbs on Squat, and 465lbs on deadlift. All of them natural without any handicaps or assisting clothing/belts. While these aren't exactly "impressive" numbers, for only 4 years of lifting, starting at 155lbs, and a very tall frame (stupid long arms) and staying 100% natural (No pro growth hormones, steroidal, or any testosterone boosting supplements) I think I've done alright in the bodybuilding/powerlifting world too. Can't wait for another 4 years.
Totally understand your point of view given your background of "sports". But ultimately, generally speaking, a stronger athlete will perform better. All of the things you talk about (bench shirts, wraps, a belt, etc) will ultimately make you stronger when you don't have them on. You will see carryover to your everyday life from using "things" in the gym to get stronger.

Everyone years ago talked about Bonds steroids. It made him a stronger baseball player. I've never taken them personally but I don't have issue...

Those are fine #'s congrats to you. Your second 4 years though won't show the same gains, strength wise, as your first 4 years. It just keeps getting harder and harder. Like making a car fast in the 1/4....doesn't take much to get to 12 seconds.....takes a lot more to get to 10 seconds....8 seconds etc.

2019 Challenger Hellcat
B5, Redeye, Widebody