Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-31-2013, 01:43 PM   #183
v8

Drives: 19 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by camarohead View Post
yea i was thinking of putting my 2010 ss up for sale and getting the z-28 but its going to be out of my price range. the z-28 name is now bigger than ever with this price range and not making so many. i guess its just an investment for the rich, for this car will be gold in 30 years.
I don't know if this car will be gold in 30 years. Most cars are actually poor investments with a few exceptions. Actually I doubt any new car will be gold in 30 years (Boss, GT500, ZL1, Z/28) Worth something, yes, but not worth investing in.

The reason the late sixties are so valuable is they are very simple machines and can be restored rather cheaply. Can you imagine restoring a new ZL1? Air bags alone are expensive...Also there was inflation in the 70's which drove everything up. We are not in a period of inflation right now.

When Chevy stopped making the Camaro everyone said to buy one because they would be worth a ton as the last Camaros. To my knowledge they are not worth a mint these days.

With these new cars we should take care of them, but drive and enjoy them. Thats why they were built!!!!!
2009 Mustang GT convertible
2012 45th 2SS Vert
2013 ZL1 M6
2014 Zl1 M6
2014 GT500
2016 Challenger Hellcat M6

www.youtube.com/c/garageking

v8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 01:53 PM   #184
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
How much will the Z/28 cost? I think the better question might be "Is the Z/28 fairly priced?". Let's assume the worst and say it sells for $60K. Can anyone tell me another car at that price point with carbon-ceramic brakes, along with similar levels of engine and suspension performance? I can't wait to see the actual track times this car posts; on most tracks it is not just going to be faster -- it is going to slaughter the competition...

Kudos to the design team for building something worthy of the original Z/28 -- and for NOT compromising on this one!
Old 03-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #185
soloknight6
SoCal HT5! SD

Drives: 2016 red hot 2ss M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
How much will the Z/28 cost? I think the better question might be "Is the Z/28 fairly priced?". Let's assume the worst and say it sells for $60K. Can anyone tell me another car at that price point with carbon-ceramic brakes, along with similar levels of engine and suspension performance? I can't wait to see the actual track times this car posts; on most tracks it is not just going to be faster -- it is going to slaughter the competition...

Kudos to the design team for building something worthy of the original Z/28 -- and for NOT compromising on this one!
C7 Z51? It may not have Carbon brakes, but the stingray is definitely on par with the Z28 performance wise. My guess is the Z/28 will be between 60-70k. Thats C7 territory, and to be honest with you guys, Id take a base stingray over any Camaro.

The Z/28 is fairly priced, look at the tech its sporting. But anything over $60,000 for a modern American pony car is a bit much in my book.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:11 PM   #186
nester7929
Rice Harvester

Drives: 2014 Bright Yellow 2SS/RS
It shares the same heart as the Z06, so we had to have known it wasn't going to be cheap.
nester7929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #187
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by soloknight6 View Post
C7 Z51? It may not have Carbon brakes, but the stingray is definitely on par with the Z28 performance wise. My guess is the Z/28 will be between 60-70k. Thats C7 territory, and to be honest with you guys, Id take a base stingray over any Camaro.

The Z/28 is fairly priced, look at the tech its sporting. But anything over $60,000 for a modern American pony car is a bit much in my book.
Good points all. I guess we'll all find out, but I still think the Z/28 will be just a tad more expensive than the ZL1 -- and stay well under the $60K threshold. At that price point, I can't think of much that will match its (still unpublished) lap times. Lastly, I'm tall enough that there's zero chance of me driving a C6 or C7...
Old 03-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #188
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Sucks, to be honest.

While I wasn't getting one, I know of three people in our close knit group that had plans on buying.....Glen, Chris, and Mike.

Mike will probably be getting the ZL1 now instead at the end of the year.
Chris is going to stick with his 2010...wont' be able to trade it in.
Glen, since hearing the price point, said screw it and went out and picked up a 1LE yesterday.

All three wanted Z/28's. Heck, I want one too. But all three had every intention on picking one up.

Tough on GM's part. They built THE car....but won't be selling very many of them.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:37 PM   #189
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
The carbon ceramics seem unecessary to me. Why not make them optional? The car is already 300lbs lighter than the ZL1, why not put those brakes on and it wll exceed the braking performance on the ZL1 and the GT500.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:28 PM   #190
396ssrat

Drives: 66 Chevelle SS
LS7 is a hand assembled engine with very expensive parts. Chevrolet has done their homework on this car. It is not meant for the run of the mill buyer. If you do not like it don't buy it. If you really like it then get a second job if you have to. It will not be a money loser because at best it would be a two year car. What's the most loved Camaro? A 69.... Just like its predecessors but different just like the 2014 Z-28. I'd bet it's $60k. It is a very nice and capable car and will be well worth the money.
396ssrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:29 PM   #191
AutoBot Racing
V8

Drives: ss
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
The carbon ceramics seem unecessary to me. Why not make them optional? The car is already 300lbs lighter than the ZL1, why not put those brakes on and it wll exceed the braking performance on the ZL1 and the GT500.
Being the track monster the 2014 Z/28 is. The carbon ceramics fits it just fine. I sure hope i can get one. Becky Rodgers chevy is going to get a pm shortly once GM releases some numbers.
AutoBot Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 10:41 PM   #192
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy67 View Post
I'ld like to see the LS7 as an option for the 1 or 2 SS/RS. I think a brake upgrade may be necessary but suspension wise, the platform should be able to handle it. That would make a well optioned / powerful street car that is affordable even with an 8k add for the engine package. 6spd manual or automatic like the ZL1.
Yes and throw in magnetic ride option and be below the zl1 in price...would sell to a bigger crowd...keep the Z for track but most do not track...so a 55-60m Camaro to get a 427 will be a hard pill...
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:07 AM   #193
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
Z/28 Most Expensive Camaro... Ever!!! WTF???

GM says the new Z/28 will be the most expensive Camaro... EVER.

That being said, COPO was pretty steeply priced and rightfully so. Does this mean the Z/28 will be more?

If so, count me out. I bet you could get an SS and make a better car by modding it and spend a lot less.
Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #194
DuskSS
Bayou City Muscle Cars

Drives: 2013 2SS Dusk Edition
thats true with any car.
and I do not think they are counting the COPO in that statement.
it will be the most expensive Camaro in the consumer line up above the ZL1

Of course you can build anything that will stomp a mudhole in it cheaper.

find a 2010 SS cheap strip it.. drop in a new built engine cam and FI or NOS and do suspension and brakes and boom easy Z/28 killer for cheap.
530/520 SAE
DuskSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:19 AM   #195
Hulkamaniac
Livin' the Dream

Drives: '23 Charger GT, '23 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
At first, I was thinking the Z-28 may be in the $50k price range, but then GM said it would be above the ZL1 in the "Camaro Tier". Some are speculating a $70-75k price tag on this thing. I just think that's too much for a Camaro. Don't get me wrong, this thing looks BAD , but it's a stripped down track car. No AC, one speaker and other amentities are minimal at best. I mean, the original Z-28's in the 60's were basically the same thing, but when you could buy a new car off the showroom floor for $3,000, GM didn't price the Z-28 at $12,000. I hope GM doesn't price this beast out of the stratosphere. For that price, I'd buy a ZL1 and save some cash.
With a ZL1, you'll have a better ride too.
Hulkamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 09:22 AM   #196
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuskSS View Post
thats true with any car.
and I do not think they are counting the COPO in that statement.
it will be the most expensive Camaro in the consumer line up above the ZL1

Of course you can build anything that will stomp a mudhole in it cheaper.

find a 2010 SS cheap strip it.. drop in a new built engine cam and FI or NOS and do suspension and brakes and boom easy Z/28 killer for cheap.
I still wouldn't call that cheap. I plan to buy a 2010 or 2011 Camaro SS later this year and then build, but it'll still cost $25k just to start. Add a Maggie for $6k, a full exhaust with headers for at least $2k, short shifter, those brakes, a full suspension upgrade, and all the weight reduction. That is far from a cheap build, and I haven't even addressed aerodynamics, wheels, and tires.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote