Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 12-03-2009, 01:33 AM   #1
Asylum
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 2SS RS Black on Black Manual 6
Arrow What to do when you get pulled over! Please Read.

OK, so you've been pulled over and to be blunt - the reason does NOT matter.

You can be pulled over for an indefinite amount of reasons, and including "Routine Traffic Stop" aka no reason what soever in some states / provinces pending on the police powers of that state / province.
It may vary slightly pending on the level of police, from Local to State, to Federal and in Canada Local, Provincial, and Federal.

-- This means don't bitch about why you got pulled over to anyone and how its ''stupid''.

If you get stopped, for any of the following reasons:
1.) Window Tint
2.) Loud Exhaust
3.) Routine Stop

This is because IN MOST CASES the officer has used one of the three above to justify why he stopped you and is hoping to find something else.

Window Tint
- If you go dark, you are at risk.
Do you have any idea how jarring, concerning, ''scary'' it is for an officer to approach a vehicle at night when he cant see in,

Can you imagine approaching a vehicle and seeing a passenger in the back seat with something shiny.. is it a pop can or is it a gun?

How would you like to approach a car you cant see in and deal with the worst of the worst on a constant basis?

Loud Exhaust
- you're in your teens, you want it to sound like a v8, you want more performance

Whatever the reason you went with a big exhaust police do not care.
Stop justifying it, you pay to play. P.S., Chances are you were revving your engine or it sounded like shit and annoyed the officer thus you got stopped.

Routine Check
- again, you need these things, they are checking.

now, I'm going to give you a few tips that will most often result in no ticket, just a firm warning

1.) AS SOON AS YOU REALIZE YOU ARE BEING PULLED OVER DON'T IMMEDIATELY STOP IN YOUR CURRENT SPOT, This often results in the officer being placed in harms way from oncoming vehicles. Again, think if this was you?

2.) Immediately turn on your FOUR WAYS
This conveys to the officer that you acknowledge that hes there.

3.) Begin looking for a SAFE SPOT for both you AND HIM to pull off. If this means driving for an extra 60 seconds so be it!

4.) You've now stopped, before the officer even gets out of his car you have more than enough time to do the following
- Turn on your dome / interior lights so the interior is now visible (tint people).
- Get out all required documentation that you KNOW he will probably want to see
- Turn your VEHICLE off, and put your keys, along with your documentation on the dash in PLAIN VIEW
- As the officer approaches leave your hands on the steering wheel.

5.) Doing the above will have the following happen
- HE will be shocked, everythign is in plain view, vehicles off, he can see in, your documentation is all there, your hands are in plain view, your vehicles off, I mean christ if he didnt know any better hed think you were actually mindful and respectful of HIM doing his job that you PAY him to do.

- If he asks why it took you an extra 60 seconds to come to a stop you can say because i wanted to find somewhere safe for both you and I to stop.

If you do the above chances are you won't get a ticket.. after all this guy is doing his job that everyone wants them to do.

Last edited by Asylum; 12-03-2009 at 02:01 AM.
Asylum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:37 AM   #2
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
An officer CAN NOT pull you over for a "routine check". It is against the law!

An officer requires probable cause or reasonable suspicion to stop a vehicle...

A traffic violation, equipment violation, plate or a saftey violation.

Again, an officer CAN NOT stop you just because. He/she requires a lawful reason. A stop is a "seizure" of that person.

Another thing...driving another 60 seconds will piss me off! Unless you do not stop immediately, I will deem other reasons (hiding something, retrieving a gun or other weapon IE stalling) If you pull over safely and the officer directs you otherwise is the best option.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
And then tear A$S outta there!

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 01:45 AM   #4
Asylum
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
An officer CAN NOT pull you over for a "routine check". It is against the law!

An officer requires probable cause or reasonable suspicion to stop a vehicle...

A traffic violation, equipment violation, plate or a saftey violation.

Again, an officer CAN NOT stop you just because. He/she requires a lawful reason. A stop is a "seizure" of that person.

Another thing...driving another 60 seconds will piss me off! Unless you do not stop immediately, I will deem other reasons (hiding something, retrieving a gun or other weapon IE stalling) If you pull over safely and the officer directs you otherwise is the best option.

Allow me to clarify
Local PD's are required to observe some sort of violation to result in the stopping of a vehicle.

State Police do not need a reason and are more than legally entitled to check for drivers license, vehicle registration ect.

These are usually covered under the highway traffic act according to your state / province.

If you live in a state where JC *Just Cause* is required, then believe you me I can think of several reasons why I ''stopped'' you, the most simple is you resemble a person of interest.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:46 AM   #5
Asylum
Account Suspended

Oh, I see you're a leo from Detroit..

Well you guys do things different there, all sorts of crazies to contend with.
Old 12-03-2009, 01:53 AM   #6
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
The one thing an officer wants to see are your hands. So keep 'em both on top of the steering wheel and leave 'em there until he/she asks you to provide the necessary documentation. You may not like the PERSON who pulled you over, but that badge they're wearing does deserve respect. Show that respect, cooperate calmly, and no matter what happens, at least you'll know you handled yourself like a gentleman!

They have a tough, thankless job. The only good people they usually meet during the course of the day, are those who are having one of the worst days of their lives. Cops are human too, and as long as you remember that, the encounter doesn't have to be a horrible one.

(Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.)
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:06 AM   #7
Dave_O
Needs a Camaro

Drives: 2007 Chevy Trailblazer
Great advice!

I LOVE GM vehicles, and particularly Chevy's, but would buy any GM vehicle if I had the $$...Hopefully, one day, soon enough, a 5th Gen CAMARO! Dave_O
Dave_O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:08 AM   #8
Banshee
Institutionally Insane

Drives: 2013 IOM 2SS/RS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asylum View Post
Allow me to clarify
Local PD's are required to observe some sort of violation to result in the stopping of a vehicle.

State Police do not need a reason and are more than legally entitled to check for drivers license, vehicle registration ect.

These are usually covered under the highway traffic act according to your state / province.

If you live in a state where JC *Just Cause* is required, then believe you me I can think of several reasons why I ''stopped'' you, the most simple is you resemble a person of interest.
What is the 4th Amendment?

What is unreasonable? You need probable cause or reasonable suspicion.

Can I run any plate I deem necessary on LEIN absent PC or RS? No!

Can I stop ANY vehicle absent PC or RS? No...Why?

The 4th Amendment to the Constitution which covers all citizens absent statutorial law which prevails.

Being a Detroit LEO does not mean we do things differently at all. Law is law. But I definately do use all applicable minor PC infractions such as license plate lamp out or fail to signal to stop a car if I believe crime is afoot. Do I stop and cite for stupid crap like that? Hell no.

I have to follow the law and the Constitution or else I get fired.
It's got a cop motor, a 440 cubic inch plant, it's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas. What do you say, is it the new Bluesmobile or what?
Banshee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:12 AM   #9
Dave_O
Needs a Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banshee View Post
What is the 4th Amendment?

What is unreasonable? You need probable cause or reasonable suspicion.

Can I run any plate I deem necessary on LEIN absent PC or RS? No!

Can I stop ANY vehicle absent PC or RS? No...Why?

The 4th Amendment to the Constitution which covers all citizens absent statutorial law which prevails.

Being a Detroit LEO does not mean we do things differently at all. Law is law. But I definately do use all applicable minor PC infractions such as license plate lamp out or fail to signal to stop a car if I believe crime is afoot. Do I stop and cite for stupid crap like that? Hell no.

I have to follow the law and the Constitution or else I get fired.
Take it easy Banshee... Politics... I think your still good, just don't go too much further... Just tryin to look out!

I LOVE GM vehicles, and particularly Chevy's, but would buy any GM vehicle if I had the $$...Hopefully, one day, soon enough, a 5th Gen CAMARO! Dave_O
Old 12-03-2009, 02:15 AM   #10
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_O View Post
Take it easy Banshee... Politics... I think your still good, just don't go too much further... Just tryin to look out!
Gotz to keep this fella away from all threads regarding law enforcement. It'll get intense.

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:17 AM   #11
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
What the hell does this have to do with Camaro's. My limited experiance is it all depends on the officer who is stopping you. Some are very nice no matter what you do, some are total pricks even if you behave perfectly!!!!!
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:17 AM   #12
TaylorRyanSS
COTW: 12/13/10

Drives: 1969 Camaro
You can get a ticket if your exhaust is too loud?

"Are you one of those boys who prefer cars to women? - I'm one of those boys that appreciates a fine body, regardless of the make."
1969 CAMARO JOURNAL: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=341239 | FACEBOOK: http://www.facebook.com/taylor.ryan.apt | GRAPHIC DESIGN: www.aptdesigns.net
TaylorRyanSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 02:20 AM   #13
Dave_O
Needs a Camaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revo1 View Post
Gotz to keep this fella away from all threads regarding law enforcement. It'll get intense.
Yea, I am noticing!!! lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by songsj View Post
What the hell does this have to do with Camaro's. My limited experiance is it all depends on the officer who is stopping you. Some are very nice no matter what you do, some are total pricks even if you behave perfectly!!!!!
mine too.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
In some places... It's considered 'noise pollution'

Old 12-03-2009, 02:20 AM   #14
SScattergunSS
~ Love or Lust ~

Drives: R6P 1SS/RS BLK/L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaylorRyan74 View Post
I love this post!!!
~ Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just, And this be our motto, "In God is our trust." And the Star Spangled Banner in triumph shall wave O'er the land of the free and the home of the brave ~ Francis Scott Key ~
SScattergunSS is offline   Reply With Quote