Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 07-19-2010, 02:54 PM   #15
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stovall-SS View Post
OMG I wanna be that guy again!!

I will be getting with Granatelli soon as I go home, to hopefully get a full Motor & Turbo's setup installed.

This might be a stupid question but, Granatelli does everything in house right? Do you guys have a Dyno also? And what is the turn around time on working a motor and installing turbos?
Everything is done "in house" EVERYTHING. We do have a chassis and Engine dyno
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 12:57 AM   #16
Stovall-SS

Drives: 2010 SS RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granatelli View Post
I agree 101% - that is why I always say keep the stock cams. Also tghe crank is not that bad but if you do the pistons, do the rods as well - that way we can balance it all once
So what are you recomending for internals? What Pistons, Rods, Valves, crank, & Heads. I know you said LS7's but what is the recomended heads brand you think? I really want to see everything I should do to have a dependable monster motor.

Quote:
3" certainly helps but it is not required for guys that do not want LOUD cars
If im running twins, is there a header package that can be used? I love the loud sound of headers.

Quote:
Everything is done "in house" EVERYTHING. We do have a chassis and Engine dyno
I should be home sometime in October, and if all goes right I will use that time to travel down to cali just to drop off my car. Hope to be in the states no more then a week. What is the turn around time of installing motor work & turbo's? Im trying to figure out if I need to hire a company to transport it home or if im gonna be able to leave it there for 3 months.
Stovall-SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 01:26 AM   #17
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
So what are you recomending for internals? What Pistons, Rods, Valves, crank, & Heads. I know you said LS7's but what is the recomended heads brand you think? I really want to see everything I should do to have a dependable monster motor.

If im running twins, is there a header package that can be used? I love the loud sound of headers.

I should be home sometime in October, and if all goes right I will use that time to travel down to cali just to drop off my car. Hope to be in the states no more then a week. What is the turn around time of installing motor work & turbo's? Im trying to figure out if I need to hire a company to transport it home or if im gonna be able to leave it there for 3 months.
What are your HP goals? The ~7psi kits that are sold on here don't need engine work to be dependable and last a long time. Most 7psi TT kits will net you in the 550-600whp range. If you want more than that, you will need to start looking into strengthening the internals.

These kits don't use headers. You may like the sound of headers but the exhaust is routed through a pair of turbo's AFTER the manifolds, so any sound you may gain will be canceled out as it travels through the turbo.

I don't know the exact install time but if any of these shops can't get a turbo installed in less than a couple days, they don't need to be installing them. I'm sure most of them can install it in a day, if they don't have other things going on. The engine work is another story. GMT can give you an idea about that.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 05:46 AM   #18
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
These kits don't use headers. You may like the sound of headers but the exhaust is routed through a pair of turbo's AFTER the manifolds, so any sound you may gain will be canceled out as it travels through the turbo.
So wait, what? With a TT setup you bypass the headers?
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:35 AM   #19
shaner74

Drives: 2010 camaro 2SS/RS
Turbos don't need/want headers. You want to trap the heat energy and direct it straight into the turbos. Manifolds are usually better at doing this than headers. Turbos are essentially energy converters - they convert the energy produced by combustion that would normally be expelled as heat/gases into rotational force.
shaner74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:37 AM   #20
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
That I did not know. Well the headers part. I am debating on going TT myself and this is just another reason to go TT as now I won't be spending money on headers making the TT seem cheaper for the amount of power it can push out.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:10 AM   #21
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by phenixdragon View Post
So wait, what? With a TT setup you bypass the headers?
You don't "bypass" the headers. Exhaust gas goes from the head, through the header, then through the turbo. As said above, you want as much heat as you can to hit the turbo quickly as this heat energy helps spool the turbo as it cools.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 07-20-2010, 08:15 AM   #22
Sack Rat 2SS

Drives: Silver SS/RS, Man 6
Typically on under mounted TT's the factory exhaust manifold is replaced with one from the TT manufacturer and upon which the turbo mounts just below the manifold. However, there are rear mounted TT's and top mounted and front mounted combinations etc. Also, the turbos quiet the exhaust note quite a bit. AND, I would NOT spend the extra money for LS-7 heads when the money you save on ported LS-3 heads can be spent on the core motor.
Sack Rat 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 08:19 AM   #23
Stovall-SS

Quote:
What are your HP goals? The ~7psi kits that are sold on here don't need engine work to be dependable and last a long time. Most 7psi TT kits will net you in the 550-600whp range. If you want more than that, you will need to start looking into strengthening the internals.

I don't know the exact install time but if any of these shops can't get a turbo installed in less than a couple days, they don't need to be installing them. I'm sure most of them can install it in a day, if they don't have other things going on. The engine work is another story. GMT can give you an idea about that.
As I stated in my first post I am looking to be right at 600 to 700Rwhp. I understand I can be right at 600 with out any work being done to the motor. But I also know the way I drive, and trying to go over 600 maybe 700 I will need to beef up the motor.

As far as the headers, I had an s-10 4.3 V6 Turbo, w/ custom headers for the turbo. Ive been looking for the header company that made them, but havent found them yet. It was back when I was in High school, so its been about 10 years now. One they made the motor look great, two they wherent stock.

And as far as time goes, I know that a large shop like Granatelli is busy, and I do want motor work done so im sure its gonna take over a week or two. The fact of the matter is, I want to make sure its gonna take at least a month or so, because I wont be able to pick the car up till I am back from Afghanistan. And once I am gone I wont be back for 3 months. That was the hole reason I wanted to know if I had to make arangements to have it delivered home I will. These are the small details im gonna worrie about when im over 10,000 miles away.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:16 AM   #24
axis
Search Ninja

Quote:
As I stated in my first post I am looking to be right at 600 to 700Rwhp. I understand I can be right at 600 with out any work being done to the motor. But I also know the way I drive, and trying to go over 600 maybe 700 I will need to beef up the motor.

As far as the headers, I had an s-10 4.3 V6 Turbo, w/ custom headers for the turbo. Ive been looking for the header company that made them, but havent found them yet. It was back when I was in High school, so its been about 10 years now. One they made the motor look great, two they wherent stock.

And as far as time goes, I know that a large shop like Granatelli is busy, and I do want motor work done so im sure its gonna take over a week or two. The fact of the matter is, I want to make sure its gonna take at least a month or so, because I wont be able to pick the car up till I am back from Afghanistan. And once I am gone I wont be back for 3 months. That was the hole reason I wanted to know if I had to make arangements to have it delivered home I will. These are the small details im gonna worrie about when im over 10,000 miles away.
I'm sure many of us would be happy to take care of your car while you're gone.
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)

Old 07-20-2010, 10:30 AM   #25
Stovall-SS

Quote:
I'm sure many of us would be happy to take care of your car while you're gone.
Haha you funny guy huh.... If im gonna hire someone to transport the car, this pretty much means I dont trust anyone enough to drive the car for me. Not even my wife will be able to drive it. Im currently looking for a V6 Camaro for her. I might have to buy her a new one just to make her happy, and to keep her away from mine.

What I really want to do is leave it there for the 3 months, because me being apart of this Forum is making me find things that I want to do to it. Like hood, carbon fiber pcs, Defenitly want to do suspension. But I cant find anyone that knows anything about performance airbags... Ive emailing ride tech about there system, but havent gotten anything back yet. Might be the first person to get there system on a new camaro, Witch would be bad ass! Twin Turbo's on a tricked out looking camaro! http://www.ridetech.com/shop/suspens...ms/shockwaves/
Old 07-21-2010, 08:38 PM   #26
Granatelli
Account Suspended

Drives: 2SS Victory Red
Quote:
So what are you recommending for internals? What Pistons, Rods, Valves, crank, & Heads. I know you said LS7's but what is the recommended heads brand you think? I really want to see everything I should do to have a dependable monster motor.

If I'm running twins, is there a header package that can be used? I love the loud sound of headers.

I should be home sometime in October, and if all goes right I will use that time to travel down to California just to drop off my car. Hope to be in the states no more then a week. What is the turn around time of installing motor work & turbo's? I’m trying to figure out if I need to hire a company to transport it home or if i’m gonna be able to leave it there for 3 months.
Granatelli offers short blocks and long blocks. The real problem is with factory pistons, the ring locations are too high and the rods suck. The crank is not so bad. A good set of Forged Pistons and Roods goes a long way. SCAT and Callies and great choices

The stock heads ported are also awesome, I run GM LSX-LS7 heads on my engine because they add extra head bolts which are the ultimate for forced induction. AFR and TFS both offer great heads as well. If you go to a LS7 head, it does require and LS7 post manifold –

The turbos act like mufflers so the header thing kind of gets lost in the shuffler. With our turbos, you don’t even need mufflers. The engine will be quiet until it hits boost. At the point it is hard to muffler mega power regardless

If we know you are coming and you get us a healthy deposit in advance, we can have the complete engine done and dyno before you get here and simple do the engine swap in a few days
Granatelli is offline   Reply With Quote