Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-24-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Drives: S.I.M. SS
Smile Upgrade:SS with Painted GFX or Chrome?

Hey yall. I'm in a bit of a indecision, I have in my possession like 2,000 dollars, and of course, I want to sink it into my car, but the problem is I dunno how! I've seen pictures of the SS with chrome wheels and I must admit it looks very beautiful. I can get a set of 20 inch chrome for 800 dollars no problem, but to me, I just don't think the wheels go all with the car that well. Well, I'm not saying it doesn't make the car look good, but it's just it kinda offsets the color by making the wheels brighter. My SS is silver ice metallic, the concept color, and the stock SS wheels(painted/polished aluminum) like totally matches the color of the car, it looks f'n perfect, but aside of me still may consider chrome because they look flashy. What do you guys think????

Also, after owning my car for about 3 months or so, alot of people have been asking me what am I going to do to it next besides the limo tint, which adds a little more sexy to the car, and basically I just want to stick to the core concept behind the car, sexy yet at the same time aggressive. So with that being said, I want the painted ground effects! It's looks so amazing on the silver ice metallic. It just makes the car look like it's like so far ahead of it's time. I was forwarded to look at GMPARTSDIRECT.com and I checked for the GFX package and it was price at $1,622.75 total including shipping. I can get the ground effects package now, but I dunno how much it would cost to get my dealer to paint it and install, all they tell me is total for everything is $3,500.00. I'd at least like to know how much individually does each process cost: install and paint. But they just place me on hold forever. If it's really 3,500.00 total for everything I'd probably have to wait about 3 months or so before I can get it. As far as painting goes though, I know this great guy who did my tint, he paints, tints and details car, he could paint for GFX kit before I have it installed for as cheap as 300 cause we're friends. lol. But I still dunno.

So what I'm asking is, what do you guys think I should do!!?????? For right now go for the chrome wheels or painted ground effects package?????? I can get chrome now, or I can wait like 2 or 3 months and get the GFX. Eh???

CHROME

Ground FX

*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
**Result**: 465rwhp/ 447rwtq. Satisfied.
Mr CLuTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Where can I get those wheels for $800?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:57 PM   #3
amanc96

Drives: 2011 SIM 2SS/RS
ground effects!
amanc96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 09:59 PM   #4
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2017 2LT Hyper Blue Metallic Camaro
looks good. i personally don't like chrome rims (they look amazing and i like the look, just hate the time you have to put in to keep them looking that way )

my vote is for the ground effects.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:59 PM   #5
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
Where can I get those wheels for $800?!?!?!?!?!?!?!!?!?
$829 to be exact, ...Factory Reproductions. But that isn't including shipping. lol. It's free for me cause hell, my girlfriend is buying the chrome wheels if I wanted them, if not, she'd put down some of the money towards ground effects.

+1 Chrome
+2 Ground FX!!!
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 12-24-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
gjordon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS\RS
I'm not a huge fan of the GFX with that sticker price.. on the other hand I love the chrome wheels!
Old 12-24-2009, 10:01 PM   #7
Captain Awesome
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleB View Post
looks good. i personally don't like chrome rims (they look amazing and i like the look, just hate the time you have to put in to keep them looking that way )
All wheels need care and cleaning to look good. It's just that chrome ones happen to look 2x better when you finish.
Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSARME View Post
Headers.

GFX.
LOL!! Hennessey's Headers,...with GFX.

Quote:
I'm not a huge fan of the GFX with that sticker price.. on the other hand I love the chrome wheels!
Price aside, visually, which would you prefer though.....? I'm heavily leaning towards that ground effect package. It looks so,.....so, so......MEAN.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 12-24-2009, 10:08 PM   #9
TripleB
SoCal Mayhem

Drives: 2017 2LT Hyper Blue Metallic Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
All wheels need care and cleaning to look good. It's just that chrome ones happen to look 2x better when you finish.
very true...i just seemed to have to spend more time on the chrome rims i've had. with my work schedule now, i don't have that time to spend on rims.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #10
Madcat0911

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS
I'd go with the GFX between the two. It's rare that I see a chromed rim that I like. Of course, my experience with GFX kits is that those things are fragile, I've replaced the ones on my current car enough times that I decided not to get them on my camaro. Speed bumps are not your friend.
Old 12-24-2009, 10:20 PM   #11
brAnd7onX

Drives: 2012 1SS IOM
I would say that the colored GFX look awesome on silver. WOW.
brAnd7onX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2009, 10:33 PM   #12
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:
Personally I think you can get a lot cooler looking rims than simply chromed up rims like that.... I'd go with the GFX... Looks so damn good on that silver color... I'm jealous now.

Quote:
I would say that the colored GFX look awesome on silver. WOW.
YEAH,......SERIOUSLY! My choice is made! lol. It may take a 2 months or so, even 3, but it will look damn good and be well worth it when I get it!!
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 12-24-2009, 10:54 PM   #13
Mr CLuTcH
Always On Kill!

Quote:
Make sure you don't get ripped off.. My dealer wanted $2,000 to paint my GFX lol. I was like "wow that's awesome of you.. I just buy a $44,000 camaro off you and you still try to rip me off! Forget you guys!" and thus my GFX is still grey, but i love it!
WOW dude, WTF!? 2,000 just to paint the damn GFX? Aww, come on that's clear a rip off. They said I can get the whole car repainted for 4,000. It's enough that the GFX are 1600, then they want 2,000 to paint them? 3600 total? Yet it's 4,000 for a total new paintjob? Yeah.......That's about in the same ballpark my dealer was shooting for; that's ridiculous. They act as if they're installing a super charger in the car.

Screw that,....if it takes too long to acquire, I'll order the GFX now then just get the guy who did my tint to paint the GFX the same color as the car, THEN....probably a month after get them to install it. They'd be baffled as to how my GFX came painted when they all come stock as metallic grey. If that is indeed a cheaper yet more effective way to go, I'll first need to get the silver ice metallic paint code from the dealer so my friend can know what color to go with. I mean, maybe I should do that, hell, he works for nissan! He paints they're cars, tints them, and details them so he must know what he's doing! And his work looks great; his black impala SS on 22 looks ridiculous. Cleanest black I ever seen. Think about it, each Chevy dealership has a service center where they're guy(s) do the painting and detailing of they're cars, my guys, does they exact same thing, except he works for Nissan! Yeah,.....Im gonna talk to him.
*K&N typhoon CAI
*Aggressive cam.
*Tune
Old 12-25-2009, 12:10 AM   #14
EKG

Drives: Right now....a Honda CR-V
GFX...I don't like the chrome rims on the SIM Camaro.
EKG is offline   Reply With Quote