Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 07-04-2012, 01:54 AM   #1
Schmidty
Facebook.com/SoCalCamaro5

Drives: 2011 CGM 2SS/RS
Schmidty's 2011 IBM Camaro 2LT/RS

When the warranty ran out on my 2005 BMW 525i I started looking for my next car. I immediately started building my own Camaro at Chevrolet.com. I considered another car for a minute…but it was a quick minute as I was always drawn back to the Camaro. I couldn't be happier with my purchase and even today (one year later) I still get a thrill out of starting my car and taking her for a drive. Shout out to SoCal Camaro5 for their comradrerie, especially 2011Camaro and ChargedCamaro for helping with several mods!

Here is my 2011 Imperial Blue Metallic 2LT/RS Camaro. Built on March 11, 2011. Purchased on June 16, 2011. A list of all my current mods since my purchase are below these pics.

APPEARANCE MODS
  • Window Tint
  • Flat Black Bezels
  • LED Sidemarkers (from Jonathan@AAC, Forum Sponsor)
  • Interior LEDs (from Jonathan@AAC, Forum Sponsor)
  • License Plate LEDs (from Jonathan@AAC, Forum Sponsor)
  • Plasma DRLs with Harness (from Jonathan@AAC, Forum Sponsor)
  • ColorSHIFT Halos (from Jonathan@AAC, Forum Sponsor)
  • ColorSHIFT Foglight Halos (from Jonathan@AAC, Forum Sponsor)
  • ColorSHIFT Grille Illumination (from Jonathan@AAC, Forum Sponsor)
  • Heritage Grille (from Orange10s.c., Forum Sponsor)
  • Havoc Spoiler
  • Technostalgia LED Tail Lights
  • Xenon Rear Body Scoops
  • Color Matched Antenna
  • Custom Fender Badges and RS Badge (from Lupe, Forum Sponsor)
  • Underhood Bowtie (from Emblempros, Forum Sponsor)
  • Underhood Bowtie (from EmplemPros, Forum Sponsor)
  • Radiator Shroud (from Emblempros, Forum Sponsor)
  • Cup Holder Delete Switch Plate (from Emblempros, Forum Sponsor)
  • Pulse Red Hood Spears and Accent Stripes Painted On (Covered with Flat Black Vinyl February 2013)
  • Custom Painted Engine Cover
  • Plasti-Dipped Wheels [I]
  • Matte Black Rear Fascia with CAMARO cutout and Trunk Lid Vinyl Set (from MnP Customs, Forum Sponsor)
  • Havoc Diffuser
  • Pfadt Springs (from ApexChase, Forum Sponsor)
  • RS Embroidery on Headrests
  • Street Scene Lower Grille with Ducts (Ordered from PFYC, Forum Sponsor)
  • Sparks Restoration RS Heritage Grille Emblem

PERFORMANCE MODS and OTHERS
  • MRT v2 Exhaust
  • Rotofab Intake (from ApexChase, Forum Sponsor)
  • ADM Scoop (from Juiced Motorsports, Forum Sponsor)
  • ICE-olater (from SC2150, Forum Sponsor)
  • Throttle Body (from SC2150, Forum Sponsor)
  • BBK Stainless Steal Long Tubes with Hi-Flo Cats (Ordered from Phastek, Forum Sponsor)
  • Catch Can (Ordered from SC2150, Forum Sponsor)
  • Pfadt Sway Bars (Ordered from Apex, Forum Sponsor)
  • Paddle Shifters (Ordered from Horizon670, Forum Sponsor)
  • Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe (Ordered from Apex, Forum Sponsor)
  • SS Brakes with Granatelli Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Ordered from Ohio Speed, Forum Sponsor)
  • SS Brembo Brakes (purchased from a C5 Member)

Last edited by Schmidty; 03-15-2013 at 08:56 PM.
Schmidty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 01:55 AM   #2
Schmidty

Tint All Over

First things first, she needed tint on all windows. About 5 months after I had her tinted I got pulled over in Bakersfield by CSUB Police and received my first and only ticket in my Camaro. (Knock on wood) I had the tint removed, drove to the Sherrif's office and had the ticket signed off on and then drove back to my tint guy to have it put back on. It's a risk you take tinting the front windows...but it's worth it!

I also wanted to remove the chrome bezels...this was before I heard of plastidip! So I ordered these in flat black.

I even tried a new Chrome Grille...but it didn't last long.

Last edited by Schmidty; 03-15-2013 at 09:01 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #3
Schmidty

The Havoc Treatment

After looking at dozens and dozens of body kits and spoiler and diffusers, I settled on what I believe to the best out there. Though I read a few complaints about the fitment of the Havoc Spoiler I gave it a shot and it turned out beautiful! My body shop did some minor adjustments before painting.

HAVOC SPOILER

HAVOC DIFFUSER w/ CAMARO BLACK OUT PANEL

Last edited by Schmidty; 03-15-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:56 AM   #4
Schmidty

Body Scoops and Accent Stripes

I wanted to do something with the Gills. They are NOT my favorite element of the 5th Gen so I initially used some black vinyl to make them pop, but that didn't work on the IBM color. You could barely see the vinyl. So I went a little more aggressive and installed Xenon Body Scoops over them. Again, my body shop had to do some minor shaping to the pieces before paint, but I think they turned out beautifully! To highlight the scoops I added Pulse Red Accent Stripes above the kickers as well as Hood Spears. I really wanted to do something different with color choice so I stayed away from Black, White and Silver. It is probably the mod I get the most compliments on...though I know it is a love it or hate it piece.

EDIT: February 2013 - Covered the red stripes with Matte Black Vinyl for a new look.

REAR SIDE SCOOPS AND ACCENT STRIPES

Last edited by Schmidty; 03-15-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:57 AM   #5
Schmidty

Rear Black Fascia & Plastidipped Wheels

Prior to the Rear Black Fascia I tried a Chrome Bowtie, and then a custom painted Bowtie...after seeing the black vinyl on another C5 Member's car on the forum I pulled the trigger and went for it. Probably my favorite simple mod! I had also been thinking about wheels since I purchased her and I scoured the threads here. Though I liked the TSW Doningtons and the Black Chrome Havocs, I looked into having my RS rims powdercoated black. The cost was about $600. After seeing my buddy Donny Brad's Camaro in person and asking him where he got his wheels done, he mentioned plastidip. And then he mentioned $25. Sign me up! Can't go wrong. And if you don't like it you can simply peal it off and it only cost you $25.

Last edited by Schmidty; 03-15-2013 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #6
Schmidty

Lighting

I don't recall where I initially saw the Technostalgia LED Rapid Fire Tail Lights at, but I knew I had to have them. Not just because they are simple eye-catchers, but because driving to Los Angeles and back to San Diego I really appreciate the Rapid Fire action when you step on the brakes and thought it would prevent a few fender benders. (You know how us Californians drive!) After installing them I would notice people driving behind me pointing at them so I know it got the attention it deserved.

The rest of my lighting is made by Oracle and includes LED Sidemarkers, LED Interior Lights, LED License Plate Lights, ColorSHIFT 2.0 Halos, ColorSHIFT 2.0 Fog Halos, ColorSHIFT 2.0 Grille Illumination Kits, and Plasma Fogs.

Last edited by Schmidty; 03-15-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:13 AM   #7
pierre777
HT5 COTW 9/3/2012

Drives: Cyber Bullet
Send a message via Skype™ to pierre777
car looks awesome bro , keep it up
Old 07-04-2012, 02:17 AM   #8
Schmidty

Exhaust

So many to choose from! For me, the cost and sound of the MRTv2.0 was a simple choice.

Then came the question...short or long tubes? I originally ordered the BBK Chrome Longtubes with a wait time of 2-3 weeks. That turned into 6-8 weeks and so I called to see what the problem was. They simply could not provide a real timeframe of when the chrome long tubes would be available...though they happened to have two sets of 304 Stainless Steel Longtubes...one in California and one in Florida. I paid the up-charge if they promised to ship same day. Being in California (and down the freeway from San Diego) they had to ship to Texas and then ship back to me in San Diego (gotta love California). My buddy David (2011Camaro) kindly helped me install the BBKs...the sound is much louder and deeper and I love it!

Also installed a colormatched IBM Roto-Fab Intake.

Last edited by Schmidty; 07-04-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 02:26 AM   #9
Schmidty

Grille

I had originally installed a T-Rex Upper Class Chrome Layover Grille...but I just could not convince myself to go with a chrome theme...so I replaced it with the color matched IBM Heritage Grille (debugged). I added the Street Scene Lower Grille with Ducts as I think it matches the Heritage Grille better than the stock and gives it a bit more aggressive look.

ORDERED: Sparks Restoration Heritage Grille RS Emblem

Old 07-04-2012, 02:28 AM   #10
Schmidty

Suspension

My buddy, Donny Brad (ChargedCamaro), helped me install the Pfadt 1.25" Lowering Springs. When I say he helped me...he actually did it whiles I got sunburned laying out on his driveway. Serves me right. Haha!

ORDERED: Pfadt Sports Sway Bars

Old 07-04-2012, 02:35 AM   #11
Schmidty

RS Headrests

I saw a thread on the forums on this and I thought it was too good (and inexpensive) not to give it a go. It adds a nice touch to the interior.

Old 07-04-2012, 02:37 AM   #12
Schmidty

Apex Car of the Month for May 2012

I was real stoked to be selected to compete for Apex's Car of the Month for May 2012 and win! Thanks to my C5 friends who voted for me. Some really nice looking Camaros there!

Old 07-04-2012, 11:49 AM   #13
Schmidty

Making Friends

I know this may not be part of my Camaro's Build but it is how my Camaro made some new friends! Since moving to San Diego (just 2 days after buying my Camaro) I started to get involved on C5 and particularly in the California Section. I organized a group of 25 Camaro's to attend RaceLegal under the banner of SoCal Camaro5. I also planned two very successful cruises (Cinco de Camaro, and Palomar Fun Run) the first of which we had 22 Camaros show-up and the second we had 36! Working on the third event...but here is a little something something from the recent events.

RaceLegal Thread

Cinco de Camaro Thread & Pics

Palomar Fun Run Thread & Pics/Vids

Borrego Springs Cruise - Made the Camaro5 Homepage

Last edited by Schmidty; 08-31-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:58 AM   #14
Schmidty

Under the Hood

I read through many of the V6 Engine Threads and liked what I saw...so I went ahead and purchased a Catchcan, Throttle Body, and Black Ice-olator from Rx/Vmax.