Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-09-2010, 02:42 PM   #1
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
My ½ price version of the Magnaflow 2.5” Comp Series exhaust

This is the documentation of my ½ price version of the Magnaflow 2.5” Comp Series axle-back system. Although it won’t be 100% as good it should be real close at approximately ½ the cost or less. Plus, I have read in a few threads how the factory exhaust seems to be very efficient but quiet so using our factory pipes should work well enough.

This is what I’ll be attempting to replicate. If you shop around you can pick up this system for about $945. http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...one=all&id=126

This is also very similar to the SOLO Mach-X system which is $750 delivered. I was on the fence with just buying the SOLO system but I figured I could save myself the cost of the Hurst Shifter I plan on getting. Again…I know that the SOLO system would ultimately be better but I’m limited on $$$ and if this works out I’m going to feel better about getting it done at such a reasonable price.

I’ve ordered an LS3 but the same can be done on an L99.

Here is the plan:
-Remove factory H-Pipe and replace with Magnaflow resonated X-pipe (#1386)
-Remove the factory resonators
-Do a muffler delete using the 4” Magnaflow tips (#35121)

I asked members on this forum in the TX sub-group about muffler shops and I eventually found one that quoted a muffler delete for $80 and X-pipe install for about $100 depending on needed pipe. I’m going to be conservative and say $150+$80+tax for ~$250 to install.

I ordered my parts from JDP Motorsports and got a great deal. So far I have $173 in parts to my door. With the estimated $250 install I should be able to get this done for about $425 or possibly less. I really like the looks of the Magnaflow tips but I could have saved myself almost $100 if I wanted to use the factory tips. IMO I think the Maganaflow tips look a lot better and it’s worth the extra money for these.

The parts came in today and I’m really excited to get my car now. I should be picking it up in about a week and I plan on going to the muffler shop the day I get it or maybe the next day. The tips were larger looking than I expected. I can only imagine how big the 5” must look on Magnaflow’s axle-back system.

Here are some pics to start with and I plan on documenting everything along the way and will eventually get some sounds clips to go with it as well. The pics of the inside of the #1386 didn’t come out as well as I liked but I can definitely see the X inside the muffler and from the pics you can see how it is perforated.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #2
caper

Drives: 2010 IOM 2ss/RS
yep, thats what i am gonna do too, except i used stock tips, and will be using the non resonated xpipe (i think) - see how it all works out
caper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #3
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by caper View Post
yep, thats what i am gonna do too, except i used stock tips, and will be using the non resonated xpipe (i think) - see how it all works out
If you don't have your X-Pipe yet you might want to consider using the #11386. It should help out with some of the decel popping you'll get with the non-resonated one.

Also....the way I looked at it is that Magnaflow could've used any X-pipe they wanted with the muffler delete and they chose the #11386. I think it's actually a little bit cheaper as well.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
Old 02-09-2010, 03:21 PM   #4
Camar0wn3d
formerly "wh0rsep0wer"

Drives: 2016 1SS Summit White
Dude...you HAVE to post a sound clip as soon as you get it installed. Subscribed.

2012 2LS - Black A6 (SOLD)

2016 1SS Summit White A8
Camar0wn3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 03:24 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Awesome idea
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
I'm glad you FINALLY made your decision!
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 04:22 PM   #7
caverman

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyTSquared View Post
I'm glad you FINALLY made your decision!
Yeah...back and forth I know....and I'm still hoping I made the right decision although I don't see how it won't be a good setup.

If you think I was wishy washy about the exhaust you should've read some of my emails on deciding if I should even get the car or not.

Now....if the car will just get here and this stupid COLD weather would finally go away I might be able to finally get this done!

My freakin window was frozen shut this morning. 24 this morning and I don't even know what the wind chil was. We are from TX....this stuff isn't supposed to happen down here.
Build Journal
Old 02-09-2010, 04:32 PM   #8
TommyTSquared

Drives: RSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
Yeah...back and forth I know....and I'm still hoping I made the right decision although I don't see how it won't be a good setup.

If you think I was wishy washy about the exhaust you should've read some of my emails on deciding if I should even get the car or not.

Now....if the car will just get here and this stupid COLD weather would finally go away I might be able to finally get this done!

My freakin window was frozen shut this morning. 24 this morning and I don't even know what the wind chil was. We are from TX....this stuff isn't supposed to happen down here.
Don't you dare complain to be about wind until you've been out here!!!

Just hope that since we're actually have a cold winter we'll get a few years of the warm ones we're accustomed to!
TommyTSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:03 PM   #9
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Nice!!! I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out as well as the sound!!! Please feel free to call, email or PM me anytime with questions!! We appreciate your business and have a great day!!!

Kind regards,
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #10
axis
Search Ninja

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS A6
Replacing a pair of mufflers with a resonated X-pipe is bound to be pretty loud. I guess we'll see just how loud.
Bo (knows) White ported TB
Kooks LT's/ Dynomax VT
Pfadted (springs/sways)
Dyno tuned by Rhino and GPI

I once parallel parked a train.
axis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:21 PM   #11
Cacadeech

Drives: 2010 CGM SS/RS
You're right, that set up is pretty much exactly the same (including tips) as the SOLO and the SOLO sounds great. You've got some work to do but if it means saving cash, it's worth it. Anyway post a sound clip when you can.
Cacadeech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:22 PM   #12
GraysonPeace
"Go on the last yellow.."

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99 CGM
I DIDi mine yesterday.We used the exact same MagnaFFlow part and deleted the same parts as pictured above only used the muffler guys pipes and used the stock tips.$200. We expected it to be much louder but it was not. The sound is much deeper and sounds like it looks. We are very happy.
GraysonPeace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 06:45 PM   #13
JDP Motorsports

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/ 2016 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by axis View Post
Replacing a pair of mufflers with a resonated X-pipe is bound to be pretty loud. I guess we'll see just how loud.
It is basically the same set-up as the Magnaflow 16580 minus the mandrel-bent tubing. It will sound very similar. HERE is the sound file.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacadeech View Post
You're right, that set up is pretty much exactly the same (including tips) as the SOLO and the SOLO sounds great. You've got some work to do but if it means saving cash, it's worth it. Anyway post a sound clip when you can.
It's actually like the Magnaflow 16580 but with 4" tips opposed to 5".
JDP Motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:47 PM   #14
toehead93

Drives: 2014 2SS/1LE
Nice write up. Same thing I'm doing!

Summit White 2014 2SS 1LE
Recaros, NPP exhaust, Nav
2010 2SS A6 - sold.
toehead93 is offline   Reply With Quote