Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 09-03-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
762ss

Drives: Buick Verano, Dodge Durango 5.7
1LE zip

Hi there. My first post.

Test driven the SS many times, manual tranny. Even though I come from a devout Chevy family (with a couple of dodges too), I tried the Mustang GT a couple of times, and the boss once (dealer wont let anyone take out the 2013 gt500). First time ever driving a Mustang. The Fords all seem so zippy. They are fast. I almost talked myself into getting one with ford track pack and recaro seats. Fords issues with the MT82 gave me a moment to clear my head. It's kind of an important part of the car to engineer and build well.

So... How much better zip will the 1le get over the SS. The 1le gearing and suspension mods, I pray, will give life to the car The camaro SS was fast, but lacked a zippy feeling. Almost too smooth the SS felt. Hope the 1LE has a bit more jerk and zip. At its price point, it is too hard to pass up one. Gotta get one. I know it is better than a GT with track pack. Can't wait for my 1le.
762ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 06:48 AM   #2
grocerygetter
instigator

Drives: 2020 6.2 Trail Boss, 2022 XC90
Well...I know gearing on a ss makes a huge difference. Other than that...the 1le isn't in gen pop yet.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by 762ss View Post
Hi there. My first post.

Test driven the SS many times, manual tranny. Even though I come from a devout Chevy family (with a couple of dodges too), I tried the Mustang GT a couple of times, and the boss once (dealer wont let anyone take out the 2013 gt500). First time ever driving a Mustang. The Fords all seem so zippy. They are fast. I almost talked myself into getting one with ford track pack and recaro seats. Fords issues with the MT82 gave me a moment to clear my head. It's kind of an important part of the car to engineer and build well.

So... How much better zip will the 1le get over the SS. The 1le gearing and suspension mods, I pray, will give life to the car The camaro SS was fast, but lacked a zippy feeling. Almost too smooth the SS felt. Hope the 1LE has a bit more jerk and zip. At its price point, it is too hard to pass up one. Gotta get one. I know it is better than a GT with track pack. Can't wait for my 1le.
Weird, every time I test drove the GTs they always felt slow and left me with that , how can these cars be that fast feeling. Have you driven a current model SS. My SS feels a lot peppier than even the 2011 I drove a year ago. Even felt better than my 2011 L99.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #4
Mgizzle

Drives: 2013 Camaro 1LE 1SS
Quote:
Hi there. My first post.

I am not sure I agree. I drove the 5.0's too and was left struggling to understand where the speed was. Had no torque down low and only gained some steam up high. Felt a bit European instead of muscle car. In comparison to the SS, the torque was there even low, felt more muscle car like.

As far as "zippy" I am not sure if the 1LE will feel "zippy". It is ~3900 lbs and even the stang is heavy. EVO's and STi's are what I would call "zippy" but not these cars. The camaro will be very smooth but just based on driving a ZL1, it will turn in quickly and feel like a significantly lighter car. I really liked the zl1 transmission too hence am not worried about the zl1.

In the end, if you liked the mustang track pack, the 1LE will blow you away, I am sure. For that kind of money good luck buying anything better. Oh, and there is no replacement for displacement
Mgizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:48 AM   #5
1977and2010
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 1977 Z28, 2SSRS 2010 M6
Not sure about the trans gearing with the 3.91 in the 1LE. But adding those gears to my 10 SS made a nice bump in its zip. Between that my cam and all the suspension mods my car feels sooo much lighter than it did stock. I'd really like to drive a 1LE to feel the difference between the two.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
bannonm

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6 VR
Quote:
The Fords all seem so zippy. They are fast. I almost talked myself into getting one with ford track pack and recaro seats. Fords issues with the MT82 gave me a moment to clear my head. It's kind of an important part of the car to engineer and build well.
Here's zippy for you. The 2013 Mustang listed here is a GT with the track pack. Loved the seats and overall a nice looking car, but...

Old 09-03-2012, 11:38 AM   #7
SUKXOST
Do you even lift, bro?

Drives: 2013 1LE Camaro
Chevy FTW. I'll let you know what I think in a few weeks :P The only Camaro I've ever test driven was a ZL575 SC'd version from SLP so I wont have a comparison to a stock SS but I'll give my impressions nonetheless :P
Old 09-03-2012, 03:49 PM   #8
Bad@ssCamaro
BeckyD Rocks :-)

Drives: 2015 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by bannonm View Post
Here's zippy for you. The 2013 Mustang listed here is a GT with the track pack. Loved the seats and overall a nice looking car, but...

What are those times for? and why is an '11 SS faster than a '13 ZL1?

Bad@ssCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
PYROLYSIS
Remember the Charleston 9

Drives: 2004 KME PREDATOR, 2014 2SS/RS/1LE
Chevrolet quotes the 1LE as having the same 0-60 and 1/4 mile times as the SS. Dragoneye's review said it did feel quicker.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
The Mustang feels zippier (word?) than the Camaro due to its less rigid structure. The same reason the GT500 is harder to control than a ZL1. In the Camaros they feel under-powered due to the fact that the chassis is so much more capable. Whereas the Mustangs feel over-powered due to their less rigid chassis design. The upside is one can take a Camaro chassis farther power-wise with more control.
2cnd chance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
Mustangs also,tend to have more advantageous gearing, especially 1st gear. It makes up for a lack of low end tq.
In the past that is how ford has kept their acceleration competitive.
BMW has been the same way in the past. But now offers deep over drives.
I hear people say that around town a mustang feels zipper than a Camaro or a GTO.
Give those two rear gearing to equal the Mustangs overall gearing and the Mustang will no longer feel zippy, because it has less tq and less tq multiplication.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:58 AM   #12
762ss

Drives: Buick Verano, Dodge Durango 5.7
I appreciate the feedback and discussion. I know the Camaro is super fast. The speedo indicates that. I was just wondering how ford made their 2013 302's feel so quick. That is why I said "feel", because the SS's I drove indicated the same speed as ford, but didn't feel like they had snap. And snap is also what I hear a good portion of the ford trannies do...

I didn't realize the camaro rigidity (and IRS?) could make such a fast car feel so smooth that I perceived it as slower (and I know it is not slower).

The ZL1 release and 1LE plans (in May or June) are what got me to try all these cars out. Ford dealer is adjacent to Chevy, so I figure "what the heck." 1LE has a lot to offer for the price. That's the car I want. I asked my dealer sales manager, who's been there 20+ years, about the 1LE camaro. He was the only salesman that knew what I was asking for (this is a few months back). He also remembered my 1995 impala SS.

Ford is also crazy; pricing up Boss models 10-15k over sticker (market price adjustment). A plain street Boss (not LS) is listed at 60K nearby. Nuts. You could get a ZL1 and absolutely crush their cars for that money.
762ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:29 PM   #13
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
This is why Boss 302 owners are taking off the intake manifold and putting the regular Coyote one in. Lack of tq at the low end.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 12:42 AM   #14
Slickcas

Drives: 12' 2SS/RS LS3 IBM
Part of the zippy feeling is the gearing but also there is what is called tip-in. Tip-in it where OEMs make the 1st 25% of the gas pedel act more like 50%. They do it a lot on 4cy cars it tricks people in to thinking the car has more power then it has. I do not think the Camaro has any but the I think the mustang does. Not saying the mustang needs it but it makes the 5.0 my friend has feel jumpy not near as smooth as my SS.
Slickcas is offline   Reply With Quote