Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 05-30-2010, 12:18 PM   #1
phenixdragon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
USB Problems?

I have an SS with the RS package. I also have a Nexus One phone. Whenever I plug in the USB cable into the USB port to charge my phone every I don't know, 10-15 minutes my Nexus One chimes at me that a USB cable was just plugged in. Which works fine, charges, but then it will act as if a new cable was just plugged in, like it resets. Which is annoying because it chimes and also, if I am connected to the car via BlueTooth streaming music from it, it will kill the BlueTooth connection because the phone sees a new USB connection.

Does anyone else have this problem with the USB cable resetting every so often? I am wondering if it's sending a single to the phone or something. Maybe it's shorting out? I don't know. I am about to take a drive to Portland (from Seattle) so I'm going to see how my wife's iPhone handles the cable.

I mean all in all it's a great car but I have had nothing but other various problems with it. Only had it for about 2-3 months and half the time is in the shop.
phenixdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #2
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
The iPhone will probably be ok since these were designed with the ipod in mind. I believe the usb ports they use are low power ones so that might have something to do with it. What firmware version is your radio? Did you just get it (the car) or have you had it for a while?

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
DevilKnightFalcon

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS
Send a message via AIM to DevilKnightFalcon Send a message via Yahoo to DevilKnightFalcon
Quote:
Originally Posted by v6sonoma View Post
The iPhone will probably be ok since these were designed with the ipod in mind. I believe the usb ports they use are low power ones so that might have something to do with it. What firmware version is your radio? Did you just get it (the car) or have you had it for a while?
Not exactly true. I have an iPod touch and the latest firmware released by apple causes all kinds of problems with the USB connectivity. It jumbles up all of the artist names, album names and track names. It really makes it almost totally unusable. The problem is that GM has not released a new update since Apple updated the firmware on iPod touch and iPhone last year. I keep hoping to see something about an update but no luck. The Bluetooth works fine but audio quality over Bluetooth is horrible. Sounds to me like the car does not have the right support for nexus one. GM really needs to release an update.

MBRP Catback/Magnaflow Resonated X/Airraid V2 CAI/Dash ABL/Interior LEDs/Custom Paint/Jet Coated American Racing LT Headers/High Flow cats/Trifecta Tune
DevilKnightFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 09:44 PM   #4
phenixdragon

Well the radio on it is stock but I am running a different version of the firmware, waiting until 2.2 can be used if you have rooted your phone like I have. I did plug my wife's iPhone in for a minute but it started using it for playing instead of the BlueTooth on my Nexus One. It's pretty annoying because I pretty much have to choose between charging or using BlueTooth for streaming. I'm going to try to see longer what happens with my wife's iPhone but I'm thinking there isn't going to be a problem. But I'm thinking it could be shorting out which is breaking the USB connection and then connects again. Or something where it sends a single. actually I don't know. I just know it's annoying.

I could use a USB lighter plug and use the lighter inside the center console next to the USB port but I shouldn't have to.

Actually now that I am thinking about it, maybe the USB port/radio is trying to reconnect to the phone and use it to play music which is causing a reconnect. Which the Nexus One is designed (maybe Android) to break the BlueTooth connection.

I do plan on putting in a Pioneer nav system later this year so maybe that will just fix it.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:15 PM   #5
lwlkr92

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS/RS 6M
I have had this same problem while driving on a trip with an LG phone. I believe it is looking for a music player and if it is not compatible, it is nice enough to tell you this every 15 min or so. I decided it was annoying and just bought a car charger. I think there is only enough voltage coming out of the port to keep the device from dying, but not enough to charge it if that is what you were doing.
lwlkr92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 11:40 PM   #6
phenixdragon

Ya, that's probably what it's doing. I think the amount of power coming out is the same as a USB port on a computer, which is not the same amount that comes out of a wall charger. I forgot the exact amount but it will charge the device, just much much slower. But it probably won't have enough power to charge if you are active on a phone call. I know the iPhone doesn't get enough from a USB port to be on the phone while charging. If the phone is dead, it takes a long while to change up via USB port and once it will turn on, you don't get very much time if you start to make calls on it while still charging.
Old 06-05-2010, 02:45 PM   #7
Dmactampa
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT/RS Black on Black
I have an iPhone and every once in a while it will just stop playing and tell me the device isn't found or something like that. I have to unplug the cable from the phone and then plug it back in to get it working again. Not that big of a deal but it is still a pain in that @$$.
Dmactampa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
phenixdragon

Well this past week I upgraded the OS to Android 2.2 and when Android sees a USB connection it puts it in USB mode which makes the SD card unavailable to the phone and is being used by the USB device, so the radio. I just have to tap on the screen (a button on there) to disable it and it seems to work fine. I think the car still is trying to reconnect to the device but it seems to not affect the BT connection.

I think with the iPhones you only can use it in USB mode and can't have it plugged in via USB and use BT.

I also bought a dual USB charger for the cig lighter that I can put in there and use that. But I'm just not sure if it is normal or not for the car to try to reconnect so many times. Maybe it's designed that way but maybe it's not. It's annoying though.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:39 PM   #9
the85darkknight

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS Green Flash Edition
Bump: I still experience on Apple's lovely lightning devices. Is the charging rate really so slow? Is it really supposed to be this way? Is there any way to fix this? This is the first car with that USB port I have ever seen that has low power output.
the85darkknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2017, 06:46 PM   #10
1Coopgt

Drives: All Black 2012 1LS
Why don't you use the power outlet in front of the shifter or under the armrest in the center console. With the right adapter for your phone I'm sure it would probably charge a lot faster. I didn't even know the usb port could be used for charging. I thought it was mainly there for data.
Old 09-13-2017, 07:51 PM   #11
the85darkknight

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Coopgt View Post
Why don't you use the power outlet in front of the shifter or under the armrest in the center console. With the right adapter for your phone I'm sure it would probably charge a lot faster. I didn't even know the usb port could be used for charging. I thought it was mainly there for data.
USB charging while using is a car standard. I am a bit of an audiophile, and I cannot stomach the dip in audio quality while streaming Bluetooth. If industry fixed that issue, I would gladly use your solution.
Old 09-24-2017, 04:55 PM   #12
the85darkknight

Update:

I hooked up my phone with a USB power meter inline. The voltage is correct for USB: 5 V. However, the current is limited to 500mA. Lightning for Apple uses 1 A (confirmed with same power meter). Chevy needs to weigh in on what the factory specification is. If this is too low, then I need to know if I have a factory defect that needs to be addressed.