Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-23-2014, 06:47 PM   #141
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by All Star View Post
If the rear end of the Z/28 is as delicate as you people make it out to be, the car is going to be a disaster.
Delicate?
Old 03-23-2014, 06:49 PM   #142
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
If the rear end of the Z/28 is as delicate as you people make it out to be, the car is going to be a disaster.
The car comes with essentially the same diff. set-up as the 426 hp 1LE, but lighter-duty to the heavier (that weight thing) ZL1 set-up.

For rolling-start road racing (THE environment the car was designed-built for), the rear diff. is just fine. But putting 305+ slicks on it, and trying redline launches repeatedly (like some ham-footed folks will do) will likely lead to some mechanical mayhem...

If your intended application is steady use as a strip-tripper, invest in some ZL1 parts, or try the aftermarket.

Try telling the dealer "I only drive it EASY" when the rubber bits are caked in the rear wheelwells...and things are clangin' out back...
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 07:09 PM   #143
ParisTNDude
Owning SSes for 50 Years

Drives: Sharkskin Grey LT1
Are we trying to say the Z28 won't or shouldn't be tested on the 1/4 because it's a track car? And if so, if the SS is good on the drag strip, does that mean it shouldn't be used on the track?

I guaranty the first full tests of the Z28 in Car & Driver, Road & Track and Motor Trend will include 1/4 mile drag strip test results.

Previous Performance Cars:

1966 Chevelle SS 4M, 2010 Corvette 6M
1968 Dodge Charger R/T Auto 2012 1SS 6M
1982 Corvette Auto 2010 1SS 6A
1984 Corvette Auto 2016 2SS 8A
1999 Camaro Auto 2017 HBM 1SS 1le
2002 C5 Corvette 6M 2018 2SS
2006 Corvette Auto 2023 Camaro LT1
ParisTNDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:02 PM   #144
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Of course they'll include 1/4-mile times. No doubt. But there's a BIG difference between abusing a Camaro, on sticky tires, with 426 hp and doing the SAME thing with 500+ hp WITHOUT some rear diff. reinforcement...like they did with the ZL1.

Have you heard of a ZL1 lunching a diff? I haven't...

Have you heard of a modded SS lunching a diff, with stickies? I have...

Now add more horses, see how it launches a time or 200 on Drag Radials @ 6000+ rpm dump-clutch well-prepped concrete pads, and see what might happen...

If GM intended on the Z/28 being a "current COPO-for-the-street", they would have built it with the ZL1 (heavier) rear axle-diff. package. Just as the '69 COPOs got...

Last edited by LOWDOWN; 03-23-2014 at 08:13 PM.
LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 08:34 PM   #145
2cnd chance
Too Many Great Choices

Drives: Grand Sport/Z07
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisTNDude View Post
Are we trying to say the Z28 won't or shouldn't be tested on the 1/4 because it's a track car? And if so, if the SS is good on the drag strip, does that mean it shouldn't be used on the track?

I guaranty the first full tests of the Z28 in Car & Driver, Road & Track and Motor Trend will include 1/4 mile drag strip test results.
Don't worry it's not fragile. It's just not built specifically for the strip. The transmission gearing, suspension, wheels/tires, etc. are "not optimum" for the 1/4 mile. Now for tracking its exactly what you want! Drive it hard on the track.
Old 03-23-2014, 08:49 PM   #146
Muscle Car Lover

Drives: 2014 2SS M6 "CHRISTINE"
You all make me want to weep. The OG-riginal Z/28 was not a 1/4 mile racer, but a silly cool scca trans am racer. The new one is built to handle and power through road course like things and beat the crap out of most anything on that format. It does. Get a modded Grand National (or GNX if your froggy) if you want a 1/4 mile car.
"But, House Mormont remembers. The North remembers! We know no King but the King of the North whose name is Stark. I don't care if he's a bastard. Ned Stark's blood runs through his veins. He's my king–from this day until his last day."

Mods: ARH headers and hi flow cats, VMAX ported throttle body, CAI air intake, Slowhawk Performance tuning
Muscle Car Lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:27 PM   #147
All Star
I'm an Engineer

Drives: 2019 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Send a message via AIM to All Star
NO LAUNCH CONTROL...as per Car and Driver.

All Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 11:53 PM   #148
Mikebrinda

Drives: Ferrari F430 Spider F1 Azzurro Arge
Quote:
NO LAUNCH CONTROL...as per Car and Driver.
There are no apples on an orange tree, either.
Mikebrinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 09:47 AM   #149
Col. Brain

Drives: 2012 Ram 1980 Malibu
this car doesnt require launch control just a driver who is used to drag racing with a standard transmission

If one really wanted to make this a drag car a line lock and 2 step are not hard to install

With that said this car with drag radials and skinny fronts could dip into the 11s. With a cam from just about any LS tuner will get the car very close to the 10s.

This is a road race/track car.

One problem is fitting 17" wheels over those giant brakes

If one wanted to tinker it could be done. But if someone really wanted to drag race a camaro - just buy the 1SS and use the savings for modifications
Col. Brain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #150
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
No one should complain about the Z/28 1/4 time. It is what you would expect given the power and weight of the car. And it is not what anyone is buying the Z/28 for. Just like back in the day, Z/28s are not king of the drag strip. That is not what the first one and this one were built for.

My prediction was 12.2 @ 115. It ran 12.3 @117. C&D did 12.7@116. I would bet that was on a cold day. I underestimated the Z/28 a bit with that 117 mph. 11s are doable with some good drag radials and no other changes. Low profile tires with stiff sidewalls do not hook no matter how sticky they are.

A halfway decent driver can beat the current Camaro launch control, so the Z/28 or any Camaro doesn't need it. It's a marketing tool.

And standard SSes can live a long time at 600 rwhp with the standard axles. But if you don't respect wheelhop or do some hi rpm clutch dropping, then you are in trouble. Z/28s with about 440 rwhp will be fine.

Hope some of you can sleep better now.

Last edited by Fraxum; 04-01-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Fraxum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 01:30 PM   #151

Drives: Getaway Special
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
No one should complain about the Z/28 1/4 time. It is what you would expect given the power and weight of the car. And it is not what anyone is buying the Z/28 for. Just like back in the day, Z/28s are not king of the drag strip. That is not what the first one and this one were built for.

My prediction was 12.2 @ 115. It ran 12.3 @117. C&D did 12.7@116. I would bet that was on a cold day. I underestimated the Z/28 a bit with that 117 mph. 11s are doable with some good drag radials and no other changes. Low profile tires with stiff sidewalls do not hook no matter how sticky they are.

A halfway descent driver can beat the current Camaro launch control, so the Z/28 or any Camaro doesn't need it. It's a marketing tool.

And standard SSes can live a long time at 600 rwhp with the standard axles. But if you don't respect wheelhop or do some hi rpm clutch dropping, then you are in trouble. Z/28s with about 440 rwhp will be fine.
Well one thing for sure.... In order to get drag times as good as ZL1 you have to modify the Z/28. ZL1 remains drag king of street for Camaro. Now.... if you do just a little mods like tires to the ZL1 and don't even mess with anything else, you might get close to the Track Times of the Z/28 .... at much less cost and retain your creature comforts. Simply saying.... if you talk of modifying the Z/28 to improve its drag capability, you have to do the same to the ZL1 to see what it would do on the "ring" with same 305's all around! You can bet it will be close to the Z/28. Maybe as good with the extra horses coming out of the corners.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:45 PM   #152
Fraxum

Drives: a M6 LT1 ordered From Becky!!!
Send a message via AIM to Fraxum
Quote:
Originally Posted by *007 View Post
Well one thing for sure.... In order to get drag times as good as ZL1 you have to modify the Z/28. ZL1 remains drag king of street for Camaro. Now.... if you do just a little mods like tires to the ZL1 and don't even mess with anything else, you might get close to the Track Times of the Z/28 .... at much less cost and retain your creature comforts. Simply saying.... if you talk of modifying the Z/28 to improve its drag capability, you have to do the same to the ZL1 to see what it would do on the "ring" with same 305's all around! You can bet it will be close to the Z/28. Maybe as good with the extra horses coming out of the corners.
A ZL1 will not stay with a Z28 on a road course unless you dump some big money into the ZL1. And once you do that your ZL1 will still only be worth $45K+-. You will have to be happy beating the Z/28 on the drag strip. Even then you better be on your toes. 12.3 will beat a number of ZL1s I have seen at Test and Tune. So if you have the ZL1 and the good driver mod you have a chance.

Just like you can't turn an SS into a ZL1 from a recoverable cost perspective, you have the same problem turning your ZL1 into a Z28 beater.
Old 04-02-2014, 08:38 PM   #153
Maro99

Drives: Heel toe express..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraxum View Post
A ZL1 will not stay with a Z28 on a road course unless you dump some big money into the ZL1. And once you do that your ZL1 will still only be worth $45K+-. You will have to be happy beating the Z/28 on the drag strip. Even then you better be on your toes. 12.3 will beat a number of ZL1s I have seen at Test and Tune. So if you have the ZL1 and the good driver mod you have a chance.

Just like you can't turn an SS into a ZL1 from a recoverable cost perspective, you have the same problem turning your ZL1 into a Z28 beater.
I've been having the same argument in the ZL1 forums. A lot of people seem to think a tire change and a new pulley and the ZL1 will be flying past the Z28 on a road course. Pretty laughable IMO. Both cars are beasts but it seems to me some ZL1 owners are just upset they wont have the top dog Camaro soon. At least road course wise. (Note I'm not speaking to all ZL1 owners just a select few that like to downplay the Z28 to make themselves feel good.)
Old 04-02-2014, 08:43 PM   #154
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maro99 View Post
I've been having the same argument in the ZL1 forums. A lot of people seem to think a tire change and a new pulley and the ZL1 will be flying past the Z28 on a road course. Pretty laughable IMO...
What was the time difference GM quoted, on either Milford or VIR -- wasn't the Z/28 three seconds per lap faster than the ZL1? That's a lot more than new tires are ever going to make up...