Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-14-2009, 11:56 AM   #1
robertway

Drives: 2012 Challenger SRT8 Auto
One more Roto-Fab CAI Install

This is a bit of a re-post from a prior CAI thread but I finally installed my Roto-Fab on my LS3 2SS over the weekend, after breaking the car in pretty hard for the first 1000 miles I did a quick oil/filter change, changed the fluid in the rear end and then popped the hood for the CAI. The install was SUPER easy, if you can change a light bulb you can install this CAI, the packaging was very good, the instructions were very clear and simple to follow. Even putzing around and taking my time itr was less than an hour from opening the hood to closing it. I did pull the 5/20 fuses overnight just to give the car a fresh start to learn with the Roto-Fab on there. The one additional thing I may do is pick up another small piece of rubber stripping to totally close off the back right corner of the heat shield from the engine compartment, while I am not sure just how much heat can get in through there and if I am being too paranoid it gives me something to do.

I went with the Roto-Fab for the following reasons;

1. I like the looks (personal preference)
2. I like the ease of installation as posted by many on this forum. (others are easy as well)
3. Based on the testing by Ted Jannety, which I have full faith in as it is related to an apples to apples, controlled environment test, I most liked the very consistent IAT's (air temp readings) as well as the fuel trims being reasonable (as others were as well).
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48202
4. I like that the unit has a few "relief" points to allow the engine to move around and the unit to "give a little".
5. I really like the investment Roto-Fab has in getting the unit right and their investment in this community, evident by some of the praise they have gotten here in the forums as well as their immediate reaction to Ted's testing and their immediate effort to see if they still had room for improvement once they got feedback from Ted, evident in this thread;
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48992
6. The price point, there are good deals to be had, you just have to pick up a phone and reach out to shops to find them, but my guess is this holds true for most of the units. Got mine from Brandon at IPS Motorsports

I was not concerned with 2-3hp difference between units, I was most concerned with a solid all around package IN MY EYES that served as a good starting point in allowing the engine to breath better on the intake side and not be a bottleneck when I upgrade the exhaust side of things with long tubes, hi-flow cats, and less restrictive exhaust later on.

For me, there were quite a few I would have gone with based on performance alone but taking all the other things into consideration I went with Roto-Fab.

Hope this helps anyone contemplating a CAI, just make sure you choose the one YOU want.

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!

Last edited by robertway; 12-14-2009 at 01:11 PM.
robertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 12:45 PM   #2
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
Looks awesome
2010 SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:07 PM   #3
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
Nice and clean!!!
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 01:14 PM   #4
Inferno2SSRS
Jim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Orange
Send a message via AIM to Inferno2SSRS
I just installed mine on Saturday and the sound difference from the engine is worth every penny. Also the look the under the hood is so much cleaner looking. I'll post some pics up later.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #5
MrGazinya

Drives: Aggressive
Just installed mine as well, Got tired of waiting for Vararam... I love this intake, butt dyno can feel a difference and it sounds like a monster at WOT.. Great intake Roto-Fab, could not be happier
Black 2SS RS LS3 Inferno Int. '17 1LE replica 20's {MODS} KOOKS LT: Borla S-Type: Roto-Fab CAI: Hurst ST.: PFADT Stage 2, Trailing arms, Tie Rods: ECS BigBlower Cam: Fast 102mm intake: Brian Tooley racing dual spring kit: TFS pushrod set: Katech C5R timing chain: Mellings high volume oil pump: ATI Balancer: Ideal performance upgraded clutch master cylinder:Tick performance upgraded slave cylinder/throwout bearing: Mantic 9000 twin disk clutch & light weight flywheel: Tuned by Doug Ring at ECS. 475RWHP/445RWTQ.Dynapack Dyno.

MrGazinya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:15 PM   #6
BLKnCHRME09Deluxe
Banned

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SSRS and a 09' Deluxe
I just put mine in not too long ago....

Cons...
I have noticed that my average mpg. has dropped...it was 16.9 city now its 15.4 city....No biggy...i could just have a heavier foot now.
Also maybe Roto Fab should have included some kind of cover or something for the back stock box mount. Because Roto Fabs box only uses one box mount.
And finally with the dry filter it sits almsot too close to my fluid resivoir...Another No biggy...as long as when the motor is moven it don't knock into it.
It looks like they covered everything else though....

PROS...
I have to agree with the OP about everything he posted. Well made unit, not to mention IMO it's the best looking in appearence. I went with the dry filter also....
As the OP has stated there are great deals to be found out there. It only took me a month to find such a deal. I purchased mine NEW for super cheap.... $265.00 shipped for unit and dry filter.

Great job Roto Fab...

here's another pic....

BLKnCHRME09Deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
navyblueSS

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS
Very clean, looks good!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:03 PM   #8
g-townmach
I FARTED

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Why'd you pull the fuses? I thought on the LS3's the fix was just the battery disconnect. Thats what the sticky says doesn't it?
Old 12-14-2009, 07:09 PM   #9
Garrett
G-Man

Drives: 2ss Aqua Blue Mettalic
Here is mine. I have had it a couple of months and I love it.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2009, 07:17 PM   #10
lee

Drives: 2010 2ss/rs
when i get one it will be a rotofab
lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 07:31 PM   #11
Slim2SS
Black Thunder

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I also installed mine on Saturday and I am well pleased with it. Bought mine from Brandon @ IPS also during his black friday sale.
Slim2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 08:52 PM   #12
RJ's SS

Drives: 2010 Bumble Bee SS/RS L99/A6
Install mine a week ago and have to say I love the looks and how much it cleans up the engine room(sic).

Great product and the sound is awesome. It is not load until you get on it and then it sounds like something is fixin to get stomped!

My IAT averages went from 11 - 15 deg F above ambiant to between 2 - 3 above.

RJ
Attached Images

RJ's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:49 AM   #13
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-townmach View Post
Why'd you pull the fuses? I thought on the LS3's the fix was just the battery disconnect. Thats what the sticky says doesn't it?
Ya know G, I don't know, I thought the same thing, I had been playing with the fuse pull/battery disconnect last week once I ran through my dealer pumped tank of 87, ran through a few tanks of 91 then put a tank of 93, pulled the fuses, saw no change in punch or mpg, tried the battery disconnect and fuse pull overnight and things seemed tpo get better, more punch at partial throttle and a few mpg better. After I put the CAI in I was too lazy to pull the subwoofer enclosure out of the trunk to get to the battery so I may do it today at work. I don't mind re-indexing the windows and I only have one bluetooth device I need to pair after the battery get reconnected.

I really just want to tune the dam thing but the warranty is too valuable to me at this time

"When the people find they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the republic." - Benjamin Franklin

LS3 Camshaft Swap Do-It-Yourself Instructions - 2010 LS3 gone but not forgotten!!!
Old 12-15-2009, 04:54 AM   #14
robertway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett View Post
Here is mine. I have had it a couple of months and I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ's SS View Post
Install mine a week ago and have to say I love the looks and how much it cleans up the engine room(sic).

Great product and the sound is awesome. It is not load until you get on it and then it sounds like something is fixin to get stomped!

My IAT averages went from 11 - 15 deg F above ambiant to between 2 - 3 above.

RJ
Did you guys notice any change in mpg? I do a TON of miles on the Interstates and even though I know mpg is not the reason we drive these cars it is nice to be getting 23-24mpg on the highway and don't want to be loosing any of that.