Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-04-2010, 10:29 AM   #1
ac223mal

Drives: car
How to Fix this CRAPPY BA system on a tight budget?

I have not upgraded a stereo in 12 years (drove that car untill I got my new camaro) and based on the quality of my wife's bose acadia factory system I did not plan on upgrading the camaro. But this thing suck! so now to take money away from performance upgrades to have decent sound. I do not want to spend alot of money I would like to stay under $500 but tops would be $1k. I like bass, but not crazy bass, but I like to "feel" it when it hits. I listen to Five Finger Death Punch to DMX to Hanz Zimmer to give you an idea of my music choices. I also do not want to really remove pannels because eventually rattles will creep in and there is not a shop here local I trust to take my car apart.

I think I am left with two choices, let me know if these would work or if I have a choice I am missing.

1: Add a ******** package and see if this helps.

2: Have dealership replace my blown speakers and take all bass away from factory speakers and then add ******** package.

Thanks
ac223mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:11 AM   #2
MMaglione
Mike "Meage"

Drives: Aqua Blue 2010 Camaro 2LT RS
Send a message via AIM to MMaglione
a lot of people are taking out the center speaker and saying it helps out the system a lot not sure what it does for the bass but who knows, maybe look into that first its free and seems really easy to do

http://azzzedout.tumblr.com/
MMaglione is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
IBM/2SS/RS/LS3
NorCal Camaro➎ Member

Drives: Bowties ONLY!!
Zero out the tone controls and it gets way better. Bump the bass a bit and you might be happy.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
mrray13

Drives: 2010 1LT RS Rally Yellow
Option 2, plus remove center channel.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:17 AM   #5
ac223mal

Drives: car
Thanks for the help guys, looks like ill be making an appt with the dealer soon.
ac223mal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:46 AM   #6
burntOmaro
Bye Bye GD

Drives: 2015 AGM SS (Everyday=1 day closer)
I was dissappointed at first with the BA system... I was expecting to be blown away but was like... wtf is this? Then gradually over time, it started to sound better. The factory sub is horrible if you like to listen to any rap music. I added a 10" L7 with the ******** stealth enclosures and that definitely helps that side of the equation. I think the factory system has to be "broken in" somewhat. Eventually I will upgrade all cabin speakers to Focal but right now I am contempt. I say give it some time and then if you aren't happy, change everything out

2010 CGM 2SS RS. Atomic Orange Metallic Stripes. Corsa Cat-Back. MGW Short-Throw. H&R Springs. AAC Halo/Fogs. 20" Havoc Wheels. SRP Pedals. RX Catch Can. Kicker L7 & Amp in ******** Stealth. Garys Custom Fenders. Roto-Fab CAI. Pfadt Trailing Arms.
burntOmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #7
jdenotter

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS,M6,Black w/CGM Stripes
I personally think the stock BA sounds good. Never had any issues. Guess some people are picker than others

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

3" RDP Motorsports aggressive cat-back exhaust w/ x-pipe, Vararam CAI, Hurst's short throw shifter, Gary's Customs painted bowties, Ofer's HID DRL/Fog Light wiring harness, Kelvin 8K HID DRL bulbs, ZL1 grille. Johnson's window tint film, LSR lowering springs, Metra dash kit with Pioneer In-Dash DVD head unit.
jdenotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #8
burntOmaro
Bye Bye GD

Drives: 2015 AGM SS (Everyday=1 day closer)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdenotter View Post
I personally think the stock BA sounds good. Never had any issues. Guess some people are picker than others

I had the Bose system in my previous 2 vehicles. It spoiled me.

2010 CGM 2SS RS. Atomic Orange Metallic Stripes. Corsa Cat-Back. MGW Short-Throw. H&R Springs. AAC Halo/Fogs. 20" Havoc Wheels. SRP Pedals. RX Catch Can. Kicker L7 & Amp in ******** Stealth. Garys Custom Fenders. Roto-Fab CAI. Pfadt Trailing Arms.
burntOmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 09:08 AM   #9
blackknight
Camaro Lover

Drives: 2014 GMC Sierra 5.3L
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdenotter View Post

I agree my BA system sounds fine. I removed the center speaker as well and it got even better.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #10
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Option 2 is the way I started out, but like everything else, I got carried away.

I had my factory speakers and amp swapped and wanted to gouge out my ear drums. Order the ******** stuff BEFORE you let the dealership replace your factory parts. I think the cutoff # for the swap was in the 56k vin range. (unless you have blown a factory speaker)

Zero out the bass and treble settings. I know I'm used to getting in and cranking the bass to max and the treble to 3/4, this system doesn't respond as well to that. I haven't disconnected my center speaker yet, but It couldn't hurt and it only takes a couple of minutes.

The factory speakers, just like all other speakers have a "break in" period. I've talked to several shops that I trust and all of them said about 40 hours of play is when they start acting like they are supposed to.

Good luck!
Old 11-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #11
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
I agree with most of the points above. I've noticed that my speakers sound better the more I play them. I have yet to blow any so far and I have an early vin#. I've been taking it easy so far to help them have a chance to break in. I'm certain that driving them too hard is a death sentence. Here's my recommendations in order of importance as I see it. How far you go just depends on how much you want to put into it. #1 Disconnecting the center speaker is a must. This reduces your distortion up front and takes a little strain off the amp. Plus it doesn't cost a thing--quick and simple with proven results. #2 Add a sub. I think adding a sub as soon as you possibly can allows you to pull some of the bass away from the other speakers and that helps save them. Therefore #1 and #2 together would probably be plenty for most guys--including myself till recently. But for those looking for a little more, #3 replace the factory amp.

I have been testing a new harness to see if replacing the factory amp would be beneficial. The beauty of the harness is that like our x3, it also interfaces with the factory harness so you can power all the speakers plug and play style with a more powerful, higher quality amp for better sound. More on this a little later.

#4 Replacing speakers/Upgraded head unit. This is really a toss up. Replacing the radio is quite a project and it can get rather expensive, depending on the unit you choose. At the same time, I've heard testimony that simply replacing the speakers doesn't help much. Which makes sense because the factory amp is so whimpy. So you pretty much have to upgrade amps at the same time you replace the speakers or you don't gain anything. This could also get expensive, depending on the equipment you choose.

Therefore you may want to stop at #3 and then decide if you want to go onto #4. because opening up the door panels and modifying to get aftermarket speakers mounted is something I don't really want to do at this point. Especially since the car is still under warranty.

This is where our harness comes in. This is something that we've been working on for awhile. What it does is interface with the connector on the factory BA harness that feeds all your speakers plug and play style. Here's a quick vid I made to show the difference in sound and the ease of changing from stock to aftermarket and back. You really have to hear it in person, but you can kinda tell the difference between the two.
http://www.youtube.com/user/********.../0/_8Pw9TSFu4E

You can hear in the video that it sounds pretty decent for only having the driver's side door open. But going to the aftermarket amp, you can tell a big difference right away. Like I said, in person, it's even more noticable. Going back to the stock amp, you can tell an even bigger difference. The vocals sound all hollow and echo real bad and aren't nearly as loud at the same volume setting. Therefore I think the stock amp is a weak link in the system and is why I put replacing it at #3, before going onto new head unit or new speakers.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 02:11 PM   #12
seddon

Drives: 2017 ZL1
1-Have dealer replace blown speaker
2-Then unplug center speaker takes 5 mins
3-Add ******** X3 harness with a sub/amp combo
seddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #13
tfannon

Drives: Dark Grey SS
i have owned pretty expensive full component systems, and i listen to similar music as you do, but a little heavier (cannibal corpse, nile, debauchery, etc)..

i think the best thing you can do is add a good sub. the BA system can get pretty loud, and with our music choice, ultra sound clarity takes a back seat to just power (without distortion).

for now, I have kept the BA and added (2) JL 12s w/a 1000w JL amp. I thought it was going to totally overpower the BA stuff, but i was wrong. I think I can live with it.
tfannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 01:19 AM   #14
BUMBLE-B-TUNA

Drives: 2010 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
I agree with most of the points above. I've noticed that my speakers sound better the more I play them. I have yet to blow any so far and I have an early vin#. I've been taking it easy so far to help them have a chance to break in. I'm certain that driving them too hard is a death sentence. Here's my recommendations in order of importance as I see it. How far you go just depends on how much you want to put into it. #1 Disconnecting the center speaker is a must. This reduces your distortion up front and takes a little strain off the amp. Plus it doesn't cost a thing--quick and simple with proven results. #2 Add a sub. I think adding a sub as soon as you possibly can allows you to pull some of the bass away from the other speakers and that helps save them. Therefore #1 and #2 together would probably be plenty for most guys--including myself till recently. But for those looking for a little more, #3 replace the factory amp.

I have been testing a new harness to see if replacing the factory amp would be beneficial. The beauty of the harness is that like our x3, it also interfaces with the factory harness so you can power all the speakers plug and play style with a more powerful, higher quality amp for better sound. More on this a little later.

#4 Replacing speakers/Upgraded head unit. This is really a toss up. Replacing the radio is quite a project and it can get rather expensive, depending on the unit you choose. At the same time, I've heard testimony that simply replacing the speakers doesn't help much. Which makes sense because the factory amp is so whimpy. So you pretty much have to upgrade amps at the same time you replace the speakers or you don't gain anything. This could also get expensive, depending on the equipment you choose.

Therefore you may want to stop at #3 and then decide if you want to go onto #4. because opening up the door panels and modifying to get aftermarket speakers mounted is something I don't really want to do at this point. Especially since the car is still under warranty.

This is where our harness comes in. This is something that we've been working on for awhile. What it does is interface with the connector on the factory BA harness that feeds all your speakers plug and play style. Here's a quick vid I made to show the difference in sound and the ease of changing from stock to aftermarket and back. You really have to hear it in person, but you can kinda tell the difference between the two.
http://www.youtube.com/user/********.../0/_8Pw9TSFu4E

You can hear in the video that it sounds pretty decent for only having the driver's side door open. But going to the aftermarket amp, you can tell a big difference right away. Like I said, in person, it's even more noticable. Going back to the stock amp, you can tell an even bigger difference. The vocals sound all hollow and echo real bad and aren't nearly as loud at the same volume setting. Therefore I think the stock amp is a weak link in the system and is why I put replacing it at #3, before going onto new head unit or new speakers.
Steve,

Any idea when this new harness will be available? I have the X3 and it rocks. I totally agree with you on the plug and play remedies, no hacking for me. I'd be interested in an amp as well, any recomendations?

Also, I have 2 10" Alpine subs (not the best I know) but I'm getting major vibrations from the back. I plan on installing some sort of sound deadner, ideas on where to put it???
BUMBLE-B-TUNA is offline   Reply With Quote