Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 07:04 PM   #85
jbotta

Drives: Camaro ZL1

TAP TAP that ass. Love the paddles,,,,,
Old 01-24-2014, 07:08 PM   #86
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsblueray2013 View Post
All I know is I beat a 2010 stick 2ss, with my 2013 2ss auto, both cars were bone stock... just sayin...

Old 01-24-2014, 07:10 PM   #87
Rob3D

Drives: Car
Name:  image.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  55.6 KB
Old 01-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #88
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Attached Images

Old 01-24-2014, 07:55 PM   #89
Front Runner

Drives: 2016 Nightfall Gray Metallic SS
OP,

Congrats on the new ride.

Manuals and autos are great, just a matter of choice.

Personally, I wanted a manual. My last high performance vehicle had an auto w/manual mode paddle shifters. I really missed a manual so when I purchased this car manuals were the only way to go.

2016 Nightfall Gray Camaro SS
Old 01-24-2014, 07:57 PM   #90
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ

I love these threads.......

There are definitely times where I wished I'd bought the stick.

The tapshift shifter helps but I still miss the shifting at times.

Sipping on my coffee WHILE stabbing the gas and beating the Mustang is always fun.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #91
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post

I love these threads.......

There are definitely times where I wished I'd bought the stick.

The tapshift shifter helps but I still miss the shifting at times.

Sipping on my coffee WHILE stabbing the gas and beating the Mustang is always fun.
My s-10 is a manual, it's fun playing for a while but there are times I wish it too was an automatic.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:10 PM   #92
2012-1822

Drives: Black ZL1
Tell you what. I'm on crutches for the moment, so really wishing I kind of had an auto. I can push my clutch, it's just extremely painful.

Solution is drive as little as possible, shift without the clutch when possible(glad I learned to do that in my mom's Ford Ranger POS Edition years ago) and put it in third and leave it, that's enough gear to usually get me where I'm going.
Old 01-24-2014, 10:25 PM   #93
camarovigoa
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1 Victory Red A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
Would not even suggested this if I thought a bunch of you kids would get butt hurt. Removed pics
I think we know whos the butt hurt one here
Old 01-25-2014, 12:11 AM   #94
Mvp_Me
I Use Three Pedals

Drives: 2011 VR M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by banter View Post
It's all about preference. Personally, I get bored driving automatics, even the super fast shifting flappy paddle types. I feel more involved with a manual, and I enjoy it more. Even for sitting in traffic, which I do pretty often, I wouldn't trade it for the convenience. I used to race cars (drag and autox) and frankly, I don't even care if the auto is faster, I like driving a manual more than I'd like to have those few fractions of a second. Maybe if I raced for money I'd feel differently, but I don't. I race for fun, I drive for fun, and a manual (to me) is more fun.

I'll sooner teach my girlfriend or wife to drive manual than I would concede to getting an automatic. Unfortunately, the trend of the auto industry is moving against my preferences.
Couldn't have said it better myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
it's just preference.

why to mustang guys hate camaro's or vice versa. who knows it is just something to bicker about.

I have never driven a automatic I like on a real windy road the same way I like a manual. I Just like control over the gear I am in. that is my own thing though. I used to hate auto's IE TH350 or TH400 or anthing with truns. they always were hundereds of rpms off on shifts etc. the new ones are pretty accurate on shift points though. so much that I just let the computer do it.

ironically on this car the automatic stock vs stock is quicker than the manual at least for the first 120mph. they never test the auto's on a road coarse I always just assumed the manual was a tad quicker because if not the published ring time would have been in the auto car one would think.

I could car less which people by but in my case there was no way I was spending $2600 for an auto. my inner jew would not allow it. for sophisticated people like me that is 65 lap dance or .5 barret .50 riffles.

If I drag raced a ton I would have though about it more though is auto's are just easier to launch with varying track conditions for me anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PQ View Post
I'd agree but I would do all of those things when I used to own nothing but manuals. After a short while you don't even know you are shifting because it becomes absolute reaction so I found myself on 'auto pilot' mentally anyway.

Once I got my first auto I did slam my foot on the break a few times thinking it was time to shift. haha

Damn. I agree with the other guy too, great user name.

See, I don't get that. I've heard things like this but it seems improbable. Thieves are typically not that stupid. All you have to do is look in the window.

I was on the fence. I did want the feel of shifting gears in a powerful car because I drove 18 wheelers for 10 years so I wanted to shift with some power. But like I said, the thrill is gone shifting gears. So I almost just flipped a coin. But I found a reason to push me to the auto. The remote start was good enough to tip the scale.

Well said. I agree.

BUT, you can get engaged drifting around a corner whether plugged in or not. haha

Most people maybe but I had never owned or driven a muscle car that was stick. I had an old 73' Camaro and a friend of mine had a 67' and another friend had an old Malibu and they were all auto. Later, in the military, I knew a guy who had an old mid 70s Camaro with an auto. BUT, every import I drove including the ones I owned and the little sports cars my friends had were all stick.

Literally I always equated stick shift to Ricers.

Coincidence? I don't know. But the fun of driving a stick, to me, was always in the turns. Which 'muscle' was never known for.

I have been on these boards for a long time so I know I can catch hell for that but that's my experience.

Manual transmission in the ZL1 baylor sucks and they might be faster shifting baylor sucks but it was built for the twisties baylor sucks and a lot of people buy them for baylor sucks.

But I use my paddle shifters every time I drive.
Whaa??
Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 AM   #95
RonnieSVT

Drives: 2001 Lightning
I agree with Jay Leno on this one! My truck is a auto but I miss my 6 speed Camaro!
Old 01-25-2014, 03:39 PM   #96
ernie scar

Drives: Chevy/Dodge/Ford
I didn’t even question why I bought an automatic. I am lazy and with today’s technology, why shift gears if you don’t have to. The computer is a lot smarter than me and I don’t have to worry about red lining the engine.

And as far as having more control with a manual, when I am driving at a high rate of speed (passing, etc.) I prefer to have both hands on the steering wheel.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:18 PM   #97
Whos_Drivin

Drives: '12 Camaro ZL1, '16 Silverado Z71
There's no debate the auto is quicker and more consistent at the strip, and manuals make you more involved with the overall driving experience. It is all about personal preference.

But, when one person buys an auto because his wife said so and another mods his auto to look like a manual, its open season. So, how many of you auto owners are going to trade yours in for that new magenta???

2016 Silverado LTZ-Z71 Midnight Edition: 6.2L, 8 speed auto, Borla exhaust
Old 01-25-2014, 05:55 PM   #98
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mvp_Me View Post

Whaa??

It was my experience. haha

Closed Thread

Tags