Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 05-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #113
jimmyh

Drives: 2011 1LT => 2010 2SS
I think most GM cars from the last few years might have a reverse wire up there. There has been talk of congress requiring backup cameras on ALL new cars, and GM may have prudently designed all new platforms with the reverse wire already in place. One less thing they will have to revise if/when it becomes mandatory. That's just my conjecture though.

I saw a video somewhere of someone installing one of these in a base Camaro. I know it was not a 2LT/2SS because they needed to splice into some wire under the dash to get power, or something for autodim in the mirror to work. And they stated if you have a 2LT/2SS you would not have to do this.

Then again, the 2012 is offering backup camera (at least the ZL1 has it) maybe that is why the reverse wire is already there.
jimmyh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #114
jtzako

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Thanks was out, If you have a 2ss or 2lt even if its a Even earlier VIN car like 9103359 it will work.
Mine is a 1SS, so I assume I will need to change the wiring?
Old 05-20-2011, 05:11 PM   #115
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
No if you have a 1SS then t-tap the revers lights and connect them to the wire coming out of the mirror harness, There is a diode in the mirror harness so you dont power the BCM.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 07:43 PM   #116
bad_bear

Drives: Camero Synergy LT1 Coupe
I have a 1LT Synergy Camaro and when I installed Ofer's harness there was no voltage on the green wire coming from the mirror. So I installed the camera (SonyXA-R800C Kit and connected the power feed from the light Green wire coming out of the plug under the tail-light cover on the left (drivers side) of the trunk. I also extended a wire along with the video cable from there to the green wire on Ofer's harness. This put 12V on the mirror and the camera every time the backup lights come on. Everything works fine.
bad_bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 08:45 PM   #117
WCoolBreeze
2SS

Drives: 2016 2SS, Red Garnet Tint
I have a 2LT/RS and it is a Pre-Order, VIN # 7757. Ofer and I installed his Back-up Camera and Mirror system in my car the second weekend in May and it works PERFECTLY.

Walt B.

Gen6, 2016 Camaro 2SS, Red Garnet Tint (with Silver Rally Stripes)

Ordered: 2-12-2016
TPW: 3-7-2016
Built: 3-7-2016
VIN 1G1FH78G0157626
Delivered: 4-26-2016
WCoolBreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:31 PM   #118
jimmyh

I installed the new camera today. Couple of things:

Fig 38; mounting it from inside the bumper, I needed to trim down the flanges on this camera. The area between the plate lights is recessed up there. So this needs to fit down in. I took about 1/4" off each side.

Fig39; I removed the plate lights, then cut a hole as shown using a dremel with a cut-off wheel. I don't have very steady hands, obviously.

Fig 40; Using 3M auto trim tape on the flanges, just fed the camera up through the plate opening, and was able to press it down firmly through the light openings. Yes, it's a little off-center. No, I don't care. I might go back and put a bead of silicone around the opening.

Fig 41; I also might go back and shorten this harness, or splice the pigtail directly to the other wiring harness (getting rid of the RCA and power connectors) I just didn't feel like splicing wires today. And there is plenty of space there to stuff the wires into anyway.

Fig 42, 43; This camera is much bigger than the other one. I was afraid it would stick out even more. This is why I mounted it from above. It is actually less noticeable this way.
Attached Images

Old 05-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #119
jimmyh

Extra special thanks to Ofer for making this happen, and for just being an all around awesome individual!!!!!

Question Ofer; is there anything special involved in splicing the video wire? If I wanted to splice the pigtail connector on that long harness you provided directly to the wiring that was already there (i.e. cut off the power and RCA connectors on both, and splice them together). I have had bad luck in the past splicing audio wires together with that shielding wire that is in there.

One last thing; I have gotten alot of comments from people that want to do this, but won't because they don't want to cut a hole in their bumper. I don't see the big deal. Assume that camera is going to be there as long as the car is. Even if not, you could glue a piece of plastic over the hole, and no one would ever see it. Unless they decide to lay on the ground to admire your Borla or something.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:41 PM   #120
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyh View Post
Extra special thanks to Ofer for making this happen, and for just being an all around awesome individual!!!!!

Question Ofer; is there anything special involved in splicing the video wire? If I wanted to splice the pigtail connector on that long harness you provided directly to the wiring that was already there (i.e. cut off the power and RCA connectors on both, and splice them together). I have had bad luck in the past splicing audio wires together with that shielding wire that is in there.

One last thing; I have gotten alot of comments from people that want to do this, but won't because they don't want to cut a hole in their bumper. I don't see the big deal. Assume that camera is going to be there as long as the car is. Even if not, you could glue a piece of plastic over the hole, and no one would ever see it. Unless they decide to lay on the ground to admire your Borla or something.
This is why I went with the license plate camera. Very stealthy and works great
Old 05-22-2011, 01:16 PM   #121
Batman0837

Drives: '10 CGM 2SS/RS # 71394
Nice job, reading earlier posts in this thread, I was thinking "this is what I would do" it's a shame there isn't a camera that isn't dome shaped (think inverted R2D2) so you could use a step drill bit or hole saw to make a perfectly round hole and then drop the camera in from the top/backside like you did and use the same 3m tape for mounting...does a camera like this exist that is compatible?
Batman0837 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 01:33 PM   #122
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyh View Post

Thanks, put is the right thing to do,

no, not at all, Do one at a time to not mix up the wires.

So Get an after market camera that dos not need any hole's done to the car, But so you know all converts have a hole now in the rear for the camera, with a cover over the hole.

And thanks ones more for the help.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #123
jtzako

I'm working on this today and seem to have run into a problem.

I have tapped power from my reverse lights, and hooked it up to the 'pink' wire in Ofers wiring harness. I can detect power with my meter when I put the car in reverse, but the mirror lcd never turns on. The mirror itself has a few green lights on it, just the LCD isnt powering.

I believe the power is not making it up the red wire in the wiring harness that runs to the front.
Old 05-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #124
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Are you the one that called me?
Old 05-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #125
jtzako

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Are you the one that called me?
Yes, I called you
Old 05-22-2011, 02:41 PM   #126
2SSRS@Gen5diy

If you remove the connecter on the the mirror and see if you have power to pin 9 of the 16 pins, its the pin at the bottom left if your looking at it and its has the tab's up.