Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-23-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Capvid
Preditor

Drives: 2012 Camaro LT2 RS
Custom Exhaust Modifications

Through the dealer I bought the car from, I'm considering going for the exhaust system mods that are offered. I discussed it with the dealer and they recommend NOT installing the package that's offered as the official GM accessory, but to go with exhaust components products from slp automotive, specifically either the power-flo, loudmouth, or loudmouth II. The dealer will order and install the parts.

Now here's the rub. I'm not considering buying it for the sound. When I owned a 1976 Pontiac Lemans, I had a local specialty shop install a custom dual exhaust with low restriction, minimum back pressure cherry bomb mufflers. The result was higher low end (torque) power AND better gas mileage.

Has anyone out there installed any of these on their Camaro and if so, how's your gas mileage? Better? Worse? No change?

Last edited by Capvid; 03-23-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Capvid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #2
Capvid
Preditor

Bump. Anybody?
Old 03-23-2012, 09:36 PM   #3
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Your dealer is steering you right... there are a lot of much better exhaust systems out there...

BUT you will not gain HP or TQ from a catback exhaust on this car, strictly for sound and to get rid of the ugly trash can mufflers... Long Tube headers is where you will get the gains...
Old 03-23-2012, 10:05 PM   #4
310Driver
John

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS
Cut the rear cats that aren't monitored and straight pipe them. Then get rid of the mufflers and straight pipe those....sounds good, and it breathes better!
Old 03-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
'11CamaroLS

Drives: 2011 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
Your dealer is steering you right... there are a lot of much better exhaust systems out there...

BUT you will not gain HP or TQ from a catback exhaust on this car, strictly for sound and to get rid of the ugly trash can mufflers... Long Tube headers is where you will get the gains...
but he has a 2012, so he cant do headers. best bet to gain some hp from exhaust mods would be to do high flow cats.
'11CamaroLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:10 PM   #6
HopeRidesAlone

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
heres a question. We never saw any gains on our LLT motors from a catback. Could a LFX possibly see gains?

2010 Black 2SS/RS - Stainless powers 1 7/8 LT headers, cold air inductions cai, Tuned by dynosteve, Feesler side skirt, Feesler Spoiler, Feesler carbon fiber bowties, H&R Lowering Springs.
HopeRidesAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 02:13 PM   #7
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeRidesAlone View Post
heres a question. We never saw any gains on our LLT motors from a catback. Could a LFX possibly see gains?
People are used to saying NO gains with an exhaust on the LLT, but in reality there are gains.

Usually you will pick up a couple peak horsepower, but around the 5,000 range you could see a noticeable (on the dyno, maybe not on the street) difference.

I just usually tell people, don't buy an exhaust for performance, buy it for the sound.
Old 03-24-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
HopeRidesAlone

Drives: 2010 Camaro Black 2SS/RS
thats what i did and yea there may not be noticeable gains on the LLT driving wise but i know on some motors there are was just curious if the LFX was alittle more friendly to it

2010 Black 2SS/RS - Stainless powers 1 7/8 LT headers, cold air inductions cai, Tuned by dynosteve, Feesler side skirt, Feesler Spoiler, Feesler carbon fiber bowties, H&R Lowering Springs.
HopeRidesAlone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 04:04 PM   #9
Capvid
Preditor

So, if I'm understanding the consensus properly, these various add-ons and mods are mostly for sound only and better cosmetics, with minimal gains in additional HP. I've noticed no one commenting about any change in gas mileage so I have to assume there's no difference there. That was the primary reason I was considering this route, but it looks like for me, there's no point doing it. Thoughts?
Old 03-24-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capvid View Post
So, if I'm understanding the consensus properly, these various add-ons and mods are mostly for sound only and better cosmetics, with minimal gains in additional HP. I've noticed no one commenting about any change in gas mileage so I have to assume there's no difference there. That was the primary reason I was considering this route, but it looks like for me, there's no point doing it. Thoughts?
when you say these various add-ons and mods....do you mean exhaust or all mods? Because other mods certainly do work well for performance and are highly recommended....but exhaust is not one of them. Its just mostly to get a better sound...and I think it is worth it.
Old 03-24-2012, 05:03 PM   #11
Capvid
Preditor

Yes, I was referring specifically to the exhaust system mods, and wondering if it was still possible to achieve what I got with the system in the '76 LeMans: more power AND better gas mileage.