Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LFX Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-25-2014, 11:57 AM   #57
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
I finally had a convenient time to try this (almost empty tank)...

MPG results are inconclusive. Would need a couple tanks to be sure. [at this time, no changes]

There definitely feels like there's less power in the low-mid rpm range. But once I reach about 5000rpm WOT I can't tell. I guess it's good to know I can get a cheap 'boost' from the engine for about 10% the cost per gallon. Don't know if I'm back to 87.

I also found a thread online that claims I was seeing a 5-6% torque increase at 91 octane:

http://www.cheersandgears.com/topic/...details/page-2
This is all pretty much in line with one of the dyno graphs that was floating around here for a while - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...&postcount=118
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:11 PM   #58
stoopid

Drives: 4 wheels
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoopid View Post
As I said previously, the only real way to know for certain is to have stock before/after dyno numbers. No one has seemed to care enough to do this though.
Well shit, why didn't you post that WEEKS ago???!
stoopid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:07 PM   #59
DSX_Camaro

Drives: 2013 SW 2LT/RS LFX/AY6
I... I have! Multiple times lol but not in this thread.
K&N CAI, 1LE Strut Tower Brace, Elite Engineering Catch Can and Clean Side Separator, Apex Scoop w/ Washer Relocation Kit, CTS Front Calipers and Rotors, JacFab Ported Intake Manifold, JacFab Intake Manifold Spacer, 80mm Overkill Throttle Body, SS Brake Lines, Ideal Garage Master Cylinder, Monster Twin Disc Clutch, NPP Retrofit w/ Magnaflow Resonated X, ARH Catless Downpipes, JRE Built 3.45 Diff, 1LE Axles, 1LE Hubs, Overkill Tuned, BMR Anti Wheel-hop Kit Stage I, ACS TL1 Hood Insert, ZL1 Spoiler
DSX_Camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 05:16 PM   #60
Chris14RS

Drives: RRM RS v6
Damn, I gotta try 93 in my car now. Been using mid grade and it's ehh.
BARTON SS
Airlift Suspension V2

Niche Targa 20x10.5
Chris14RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 01:32 PM   #61
xinfamousxi

Drives: Camaro 1SS 1LE
How can I determine what gas station is quality supplier? When I lived in Cali I had Shell/Chevron/ETC, but here in Nebraska I don't have any of those. I have BP/Kum and Go/Sams/Hyvee.
xinfamousxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 03:42 PM   #62
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by xinfamousxi View Post
How can I determine what gas station is quality supplier? When I lived in Cali I had Shell/Chevron/ETC, but here in Nebraska I don't have any of those. I have BP/Kum and Go/Sams/Hyvee.
http://www.toptiergas.com/retailers.html
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:03 PM   #63
Lacpac

Drives: 2012 Crystal Red Tintcoat RS
I don't like wasting money, but i do get better gas mileage with 93 octane and the car runs better. For me, it's worth the .40 cents a gallon. At under 7000 miles a year it doesn't matter that much.
Lacpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:19 PM   #64
stoopid

Quote:
Originally Posted by xinfamousxi View Post
There was another chart posted that showed BP put a good amount of additives in their 91/93 octane, so I'd go with them.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:21 PM   #65
songsj

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS Summit White
These cars were designed to run on 87 so anything more is a waste of money. They also were designed to run with out catch cans and CAI's, soooooooooooooooo.

Here we go LOL!!!
songsj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 09:41 PM   #66
JantzenOKC

Drives: '13 2LT/RS Twin Turbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by songsj View Post
These cars were designed to run on 87 so anything more is a waste of money. They also were designed to run with out catch cans and CAI's, soooooooooooooooo.

Here we go LOL!!!
Lol troublemaker!!
JantzenOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 11:23 PM   #67
stoopid

Quote:
Originally Posted by songsj View Post

Here we go LOL!!!
And don't forget the microscopic dirt particles let through by the oiled CAI filter media!
Old 09-17-2014, 02:53 AM   #68
sspolo

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS 1LE
If you get slightly better MPG then there is a chance that the MPG increase makes spending an extra $3-$4 dollars worth it. Depending on how many more miles you get out of it.

I had 87 when I bought it, then put 87 again then the dealer paid for one fill up and I out 91 and the next two times I put 89. I can't really say I felt a difference.
sspolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:55 AM   #69
ChibiBlackSheep

Drives: 2012 2SS/RS, 1968 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaBoom1701 View Post
Top Tier is actually a marketing term and the name of a company. Just because a gas station is not on that list, doesnt' mean that they don't provide a specific amount of detergents and cleanliness in their gas.

It just means that they don't want to pay to have that name. So I wouldn't use that as a tell-all list of "good" gas. Although it is a great starting point if you want to see.

ChibiBlackSheep is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:37 PM   #70
Billabongi

Drives: '17 SS 50th Camaro
For what its worth, I have seen an average 1MPG better after switching to 93 octane. This is physical calculations and over months of driving with 93. Now don't get me wrong that's only getting me 13-14 miles more per tank and I'm losing money due to the cost, but the car runs better so I'm happy.
Billabongi is offline   Reply With Quote